Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

RETB Stop Board and TPWS Lineside Status Indicator

Mike T

Hi Guys

The following was buried amongst an old RMweb thread on Scottish Signalling and provides information on how I would go about making such a 'signal'. The original was for an N Gauge layout but the principle applies to any scale.

See here for example of 'signalling' associated with RETB

http://www.railsigns...etb1/retb1.html

file.php?id=65702

"RETB Stop board at the north end of Ardlui station. 'Drivers in possession of long section token may proceed.' (August 2007)". See original image at http://www.scot-rail...to/scaled/1049/

This is the type of 'signal' you would need to make. The dimensions of the stop board are as follows - NB it is a large board at 900mm wide

file.php?id=65705

file.php?id=65704

From this you should be able to guesstimate the dimensions of the TPWS LSI - the black board with blue light, and the long section board.

I would use brass wire for the posts and make these functional to supply the power to the LED. The boards themselves should be easy to knock up in any graphics or CAD package even mspaint!. A blue surface mount LED should be small enough in 2mm - try Ebay.

This is how I would go about making the basic 'signal'

file.php?id=65743

Mark out the size on graph paper and pritt stick to 10thou doubled sided PCB offcut (obtainable from C&L Models at shows)

file.php?id=65744

Cut through the paper to mark out the PCB - oops I slipped!

file.php?id=65747

Remove the paper then file to the lines

file.php?id=65750

The basic board and LED - this is the only blue one I had to hand and smaller are available.

file.php?id=65748

Gap the PCB

file.php?id=65749

The LED soldered in place

file.php?id=65751

A quick test!

file.php?id=65752

The first 0.5mm brass wire soldered in place and getting ready to line up the second one

file.php?id=65754

The finished board in a LED tester ready for paint and graphics.

file.php?id=65753

Hope this helps.

Mike

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys

After a discussion at the Merseyside show over the weekend I thought the following may be of interest for anyone thinking about an RETB Scottish layout...

The first RETB controlled line was Dingwall – Kyle in the Far North of Scotland, and was commissioned using a very high frequency (VHF) mid-band II radio system in July 1984. The Far North Line (FNL) to Wick and Thurso

commissioning followed in December 1984.

Initially, control of these routes was from Dingwall, and the intention was that the Inverness re-signalling scheme would include the Inverness – Dingwall section. However, RETB was extended to Inverness , the radio system upgraded to mid-band III, and control moved to the new Inverness Signalling Centre in August 1988. The FNL routes are:

a. Ness Viaduct ( Inverness ) – Dingwall

b. Dingwall – Kyle of Lochalsh

c. Dingwall – Georgemas Junction

d. Georgemas Junction – Wick

e. Georgemas Junction – Thurso.

Following the RETBs success with the FNL, the radio system was upgraded to VHF mid band III, and implemented on the West Highland Line (WHL) in late 1987. RETB was introduced on the WHL in three phases, and is controlled by two signaller workstations in the Banavie signal box, which also controls the Caledonian Canal swing bridge.

WHL RETB operation started firstly on the Mallaig section on December 7, 1987. Helensburgh Upper – Crianlarich – Oban converted on March 27, 1988 and, finally, Crianlarich – Fort William Junction on May 28, 1988. The ‘South’ workstation controls Helensburgh – Upper – Crianlarich – Oban. The ‘North’ workstation controls Upper Tyndrum – Fort William Junction – Mallaig.

TPWS was added as an overlay system in 2003.

Regards

Mike

TPWS was added as an overlay system in 2003.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

Interesting post - especially the date of the TPWS addition. Any ideas of the font used on the signs ? aware it states std road sign font - but what's that ;) Plan/hope to make some up in MS PP. Totally OT but any updates on the Class 104 cab etches etc being made available ?

Regards

Ken

Hi Mike

Interesting post - especially the date of the TPWS addition. Any ideas of the font used on the signs ? aware it states std road sign font - but what's that ;) Plan/hope to make some up in MS PP. Totally OT but any updates on the Class 104 cab etches etc being made available ?

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken

The road sign font is available here

http://www.roadsuk.c...oads/fonts.html

104 etches? Not me sorry.

Regards

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

very interesting, first time i've found this thread, does the led flash once the "token is accepted" as such

on the cambrian once you get the token the blue light flashes to tell you the tpws is set for you to go but it does time out (2 mins i think) i did have it at newtown one evening where i'd got the token but in the mean time the rhtt cannon played up so the operator got down to have a look, just as i aproached the board the light stopped flashing but luckily i stopped in time with about 1/2 loco length to spare!!

Archived