Cabside Stripes

JonPotter

I'm wondering about the yellow cabside stripes applied towards the end of steam. I've done a bit of a search, but haven't found the answer, so sorry if this is a repeated question!

Did any Brits ever have the stripe? I thought none of the Standards had a stripe, but recently saw a picture of a Clan with one, and it made me wonder!

Thanks

Thanks - although I didn't see a definitive answer there (to my one question). All I could see was "The DoG was built to the BR Standard loading gauge. It was,after all, just an enlarged Brit using a Brit boiler with a bigger firebox and consequently longer wb".

However, as DoG is bigger than a Clan, and a Clan had a stripe, that didn't necessarily mean that a Brit never had one.

Guest Max Stafford

No Brits got the stripe, Mark. 72006 Clan MacKenzie got hers due to a misinterpretation of the instruction. Classes known to have gained the stripe are, with the notable exception of that hapless Clan, all pre-nationalisation in origin. The order to apply the stripe dates from August 1964 when the AC lines south of Crewe started to be energised.

This largely applied to engines based on the LMR, but Scottish Region pacifics that regularly worked into Carlisle got it 'just in case'! Those affected were 60027, 60031, 60041, 60052, 60100, 60512, 60524 and 60535. Most of the remaining Coronations, Scots, Jubilees and Patriots also acquired these and the stripe was also seen on 4Fs, G2As and even solitary 8F 48773! Some of this was clearly down to liberal interpretation of the instruction!

Dave.

So it was an error on the Clan, Dave. I did think that was the case, as all Standards, including, I think, the Duke, were all built to 13'1" height or less. Of course, we never had to worry about the Duke in BR days, as withdrawal was in 1962. There's been no necessity to lower the Duke either, afaik.

Thanks for the info on other locomotives - all good stuff.

Cheers

Mark

Archived