East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Denbugh Hall North if you really want to be pedantic!

Denbugh? Weren't the North & South Junctions introduced in the Milton Keynes era? I think Mikes trips pre date that?

The Start of the Flyover is at the Denbigh South Junction, the North Junction is North of H8 Standing Way.

http://bailey.persona-pi.com/Public-Inquiries/east-west-rail/docs-during-inquiry/op/obj-212-3.pdf

Edited by Pannier Tank
Further Info added
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

Denbugh Hall North if you really want to be pedantic!

I've only ever heard it called Denbigh. I'm intrigued. Where did Denbugh originate from & why did it change?

Is this the world's oldest closed station?

I understand problems with Kilsby tunnel delayed the opening of the railway to Rugby & since the railway crossed a main road here (the old A5, now V4/Watling St), they built a temporary northern terminus here to carry passengers onwards by horse & cart until the tunnel could be opened.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Pannier Tank said:

Denbugh? Weren't the North & South Junctions introduced in the Milton Keynes era? I think Mikes trips pre date that?

The Start of the Flyover is at the Denbigh South Junction, the North Junction is North of H8 Standing Way.

http://bailey.persona-pi.com/Public-Inquiries/east-west-rail/docs-during-inquiry/op/obj-212-3.pdf

I have always known it as Denbigh Hall, the spelling of which appears on all current maps. Originally there was a public house with that name on the old A5 Watling Street (or V4 in modern parlance).

There was a signal box there which I remember my aunt telling me how she would walk to it from Fenny Stratford to deliver Sunday lunch to my grandfather at work in the box!

I have also checked the 25" OS map of the area published in 1881 (First edition) and the public house is spelt Denbigh. The bridge which crosses the current V4 (Watling Street) is the original and was the place which provided the areas first station, albeit temporary one which was open only for a six month period in 1838 until the completion of the viaduct near Wolverton. Bletchley (the village) and Fenny Stratford (the town then) did not get stations until the opening of the Bedford line in 1846. Bletchley was considered by the London & Birmingham Railway to be too insignificant to warrant stopping trains there!

As for Denbugh never heard of that one. I know those of us born locally can't sound our T's hence pronunciation of places such as Waer Eaon (Water Eaton).

All the local industrial estates / retail parks / football stadium around the bridge are located in the Denbigh area of the city (sorry town!). One day the designated new city of 1969 will become one!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 1E BoY said:

I have always known it as Denbigh Hall, the spelling of which appears on all current maps. Originally there was a public house with that name on the old A5 Watling Street (or V4 in modern parlance).

I agree, the North & South Junction Names came about with the installation of the new junction North of Denbigh Bridge.

2 hours ago, Pannier Tank said:

Interesting link.... 40mph turnouts...? 25mph more like, they're rough enough at that speed, never mind 40...! Not to mention that you're invariably heading towards a red 'un if you're routed onto either of the relief lines.... ;)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2020 at 12:51, rodent279 said:

Have any of the former TR buildings been demolished?

During today's permitted walk around the block here is the answer to your question!

Both the demolition machines and the contractors vans were practicing social distancing! As was I !!

20200410_150017(0).jpg

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 1E BoY said:

During today's permitted walk around the block here is the answer to your question!

Both the demolition machines and the contractors vans were practicing social distancing! As was I !!

20200410_150017(0).jpg

Thanks. IIRC that was the social club & bar. I remember a chat with the former chairman, just before he left to take up a position running C&W's operation in HK.

Do you know if the whole complex is going, or just that bit? Any idea what's going to replace it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

Thanks. IIRC that was the social club & bar. I remember a chat with the former chairman, just before he left to take up a position running C&W's operation in HK.

Do you know if the whole complex is going, or just that bit? Any idea what's going to replace it?

Sorry no idea of what the plan is or if the whole lot is coming down.

It has been an eyesore for a while. I suspect we will know the answer within a few days!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember the TR site before they built those buildings. As a lad (and with non driving parents), we used to wait for the bus home to west Bletchley after trips to London and Kent.

Recall the old carriage sheds before they were demolished - gosh I feel old!

Edited by 08221
Grammar
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know what the crane has actually been doing. There was mention on a Network Rail video of sections of thd flyover being lifted. By the way there is an article obout EWR in the latest Modern Railways but mine only arrived today snd I haven't had time to read it yet

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Does anyone know what the crane has actually been doing. There was mention on a Network Rail video of sections of thd flyover being lifted. By the way there is an article obout EWR in the latest Modern Railways but mine only arrived today snd I haven't had time to read it yet

Jamie

I don't think it has done anything yet - probably brought in early whilst there is little or no traffic around (those who watch train truckers will know what difficulties they experience).

A notice of work has been put through the door this morning explaining a schedule of work that is likely to impact on us "neighbours". The next is scheduled for this weekend.

To be honest in the current lock-down it will not be causing this "neighbour" any disruption whatsoever.

Considerable work is being undertaken on either side of the line to provide access points for equipment. I believe the intention is to lift it for inspection but I may be wrong. Today's leaflet quotes "........various preparatory works need to be undertaken, including drilling, cutting and coring of the existing decks, followed by the lifting out of the deck spans."

The leaflet also states in the first paragraph "..........elements of the existing Bletchley Flyover are required to be removed and replaced. This includes the large concrete decks which span over the West Coast Main Line."

Hope this helps.

The picture below was taken on the east side of the WCML a couple of days ago. The crane is on the other side of the railway in the former Telephone Rentals site. The houses on the extreme right  of the picture (just behind the tree) are in Duncombe Street, which backs on to the line.

The land which forms the access site is railway land (hence the security fencing installed a few years ago) which had reverted to countryside over the last 30 years! 

20200413_150943.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Literal changed a comma for full stop
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

I have to agree with 1E Boy, I don't think much has happened yet at the Flyover. Although there has been some diggers and plant equipment rumbling up and down the line in front of my house 

• RMweb Premium
On 15/04/2020 at 14:42, 08221 said:

I remember the TR site before they built those buildings. As a lad (and with non driving parents), we used to wait for the bus home to west Bletchley after trips to London and Kent.

Recall the old carriage sheds before they were demolished - gosh I feel old!

That would have been in the "Cleavers Builders Merchants" era which occupied the site before TR. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the area but where are the (presumably new) platforms going?

As I understand it they are being located at the northern end of the flyover adjacent to the station.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1