East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium

Clearance by the entrance to the old goods yard taken today.

All quiet on all the sites - staff taking a Bank Holiday break before the weekend work.

The roundabout into Princes Way is on the right hand side in the background. Flyover just visible on the left.

20200508_143427.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It is interesting though, why this work is being allowed to proceed, and also the Werrington dive under, but the work on Gypsy Patch Lane bridge in Bristol has been postponed until after lockdown?

• RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2020 at 15:22, 1E BoY said:

All quiet on all the sites - staff taking a Bank Holiday break before the weekend work.

I didn't even know/notice it was a Bank Holiday until someone on the radio mentioned it, today.:scratchhead:

It shows what Covid-19 is doing to my head.:jester:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

It is interesting though, why this work is being allowed to proceed, and also the Werrington dive under, but the work on Gypsy Patch Lane bridge in Bristol has been postponed until after lockdown?

How much had been completed before the lockdown? Getting blockades on the trunk ECML and WCML might be different questions to one of the lines in the Bristol area, it could be years before another one is possible so they can't afford to miss what they've got booked.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

It is all about being able to plan construction work in accordance with guidelines. Some work can be done whilst keeping staff safe, some cannot.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-letter-to-the-construction-sector

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

Any new updates on the flyover today, I think that they will be lifting a section up tonight Or in the sunrise of tomorrow morning.

When I went past all was quiet. I was not going to report on it for fear of boring people.

However, I suspect staff will be booking on soon to prepare for the big lift around now (or possibly a little later). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Zomboid said:

How much had been completed before the lockdown? Getting blockades on the trunk ECML and WCML might be different questions to one of the lines in the Bristol area, it could be years before another one is possible so they can't afford to miss what they've got booked.

Fair point, I guess there isn't quite as much traffic through Patchway, and there are alternative routes. Not sure how far they had got with the bridge replacement, presumably not beyond the point of no return.

12 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

When I went past all was quiet. I was not going to report on it for fear of boring people.

However, I suspect staff will be booking on soon to prepare for the big lift around now (or possibly a little later). 

1E BoY, your reports are far from boring, even if not much is going on ! I spent far too much time spotting at Bletchley in the 70s and keep meaning to go back, but of course the virus has put paid to any such plans at the moment so your photos are the next best thing.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

I and I am sure many others appreciate your daily updates especially when backed up with photographs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

There appears to have been nothing carried out overnight and no sign of any activity this morning. It seems that my unofficial information sources got their Bank Holiday weekends mixed up. The Bank Holiday possession was last weekend and not this one (the Bank Holiday was on Friday) and the staff (apart from security) seem to be having a well earned rest.

Will see what develops this week when work ramps up. There are a number of activities expected overnight (according to the first received Network Rail "Dear Neighbour" leaflet). These are due from 2200 to 0700 Monday 11th to Thursday 14th. 

The second "Dear Neighbour" leaflet shows overnight work for the next three weekends.

Overnight local road closures are Water Eaton Road (16th/17th May 2030 - 0700) and Buckingham Road (18th-22nd May 2030 - 0700). 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Little to report today. Seemed to be quite a bit of clearing up the site - no evidence of any demolition work on second gantry visible from the public highway (although you cannot see the other side or the top so it may have started?). They were clearing up concrete and piling it up with a bucket fitted digger (working to the left of the vans).

20200511_152307.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The second section of decking was being given serious attention today. The bucket fitted digger was removing the waste material. The metal work was being put into the skip and the concrete being piled high.

20200512_153759.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
spelling
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The second section was much reduced today. As the wind is blowing in our direction I could hear the machine still working at 1730. When it is in concrete breaking mode, you can feel the ground move when you stand on the footpath near the site!

I suspect there will be very little left of it tomorrow and they will be readying the third section to move into the vacant spot by the time I visit.

20200513_152331.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

With things having moved around today, I noticed that one of the uprights has been removed.

It is marked on the two pictures below. The first was taken on the 5th May and the second today.

The supporting pier was to the left of the blue container and can just be seen in the upper picture.

20200505_153915.jpg

20200513_152416.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

A lot of clearing up in evidence today. The yellow crane was in action (picture 1) whilst two bucket diggers were clearing up the concrete and separating the metal in a skip.

The second image shows the cleared site between the single carriageway bridge carrying the WCML over Water Eaton Road and the Duncombe Street junction (behind the camera). A lot of soil was being loaded into the lorry which was quickly filled and departed by the time I had walked through the bridge.

20200514_152629.jpg

20200514_154251(0).jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

This thread has been a little quiet of late as there was little to report in the lead up to the overnight road closures.

The first picture was taken on Friday (15th). Compare with the picture below to spot the difference.

20200515_162901.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Cars socially distancing? 

No workman working?

Litter is still in situ.

Oh and someone has nicked the sides of the bridge.... hehehe

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Cars socially distancing? 

No workman working?

Litter is still in situ.

Oh and someone has nicked the sides of the bridge.... hehehe

Plenty of activity across four worksites visited today (all within a 30 minute walk from the house) by the yellow army. All staff working to strict social distancing of course. The roads around here remain quiet compared to the old normal - both pictures taken around the end of the school day which would normally have been generating considerable local traffic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two machines both fitted with grab buckets were completing the tidying up process after the demolition of the final bits of section two. Section three awaits its turn.

20200518_154158.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

The third section is now in the process of being demolished. It has not moved forward but is being dealt with where it was laid to rest a couple of weeks back. It was pretty advanced by mid-afternoon and one of the machines was removing the created rubble.

20200519_160056.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Going all 'old school' but very much Bletchley flyover related...

One morning in the 70's, my dad was sitting in a 310 in platform 6 waiting for his daily morning commute into London.

A northbound cement train went by hauled by a 25, but it was rather noisier than normal as this was happening (sorry for the poor quality photos - taken by a very young me!).

1589905406821-8a7b1fc3-0a24-421b-96bd-688888d0db73_compress83.jpg.288d0f3f93f1e5c01495316eda42fa74.jpg

1589905430182-6738711d-5c38-44ca-bb7d-92261ea5e630_compress12.jpg.7139e8fcfac8509a1320fd501a345ddd.jpg

1589905455606-9ae83de3-dc6b-4f2f-8d39-aa4c2b87ded8_compress83.jpg.93b58779a151bccbc36ba12fd558e043.jpg

1589905323095-9759affd-6421-4a0b-97ef-70e9132bbba7_compress73.jpg.af2c32352ae57fdfeb37e4bc39334aad.jpg

1589905479341-4ed63873-e163-44e2-af80-e97ca87ab027_compress17.jpg.b1eabe5da46bae3789558810c252f751.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1