East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium

From what little information I can find on the works on Bletchley flyover, some unofficial sources suggest that the alignment is being changed from the existing route to a newer straighter crossing of the WCML. They also tell me that the large amount of earth removal from the back of Duncombe Street is part of this process.

As I like to check information before posting it, I have been unable to find anything across various websites that actually tells me what is going on and what the final scheme will look like.

If someone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. I have found only a few pictures/references to the removal of the first section.

Normally on a project of this magnitude, the PR machine would be running at full capacity. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places?

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tom D said:

I have checked all the known sources including East-West Rail, Network Rail etc. I even put Bletchley Flyover Works into the search engine in desperation!

There is little information on those sites that has not been reported on RM Web.

I assume there is something somewhere, but finding it is proving a challenge.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

From what little information I can find on the works on Bletchley flyover, some unofficial sources suggest that the alignment is being changed from the existing route to a newer straighter crossing of the WCML. They also tell me that the large amount of earth removal from the back of Duncombe Street is part of this process.

As I like to check information before posting it, I have been unable to find anything across various websites that actually tells me what is going on and what the final scheme will look like.

If someone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. I have found only a few pictures/references to the removal of the first section.

Normally on a project of this magnitude, the PR machine would be running at full capacity. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places?

14 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

I have checked all the known sources including East-West Rail, Network Rail etc. I even put Bletchley Flyover Works into the search engine in desperation!

There is little information on those sites that has not been reported on RM Web.

I assume there is something somewhere, but finding it is proving a challenge.

Like you I have tried to find more information but without success.

Normally with a project of this magnitude NetworkRail would have a separate section in their projects information area but if it's there it's well disguised.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

The clearance to the east of the WCML bridge is well underway and revealing new panorama's of the Bletchley skyline!

The top picture is looking west towards Oxford.

The second looking towards to Bletchley station.

The junction into Duncombe Street is behind the camera. 

20200520_112743.jpg

20200520_113000.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Like you I have tried to find more information but without success.

Normally with a project of this magnitude Network Rail would have a separate section in their projects information area but if it's there it's well disguised.

There is a piece in Rail 905 (20 May - 2 June) which arrived today. Rail uses one of the official night time shots of the removal of a section of flyover.  It confirms that 14 of the 37 spans are to be removed and replaced, 8 of them crossing the WCML. It also records the first section to be removed (identified as span 17 in the scheme) as weighing in at 295 tons! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

Would the local authority planning portal have details & plans of the work?

Regards

Ian

20 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

I don't know if this link will work, but this drawing (from MK Council planning website) shows the new arrangement of spans over the WCML;

https://edrms.milton-keynes.gov.uk/NorthgatePublicDocs/00445993.pdf

If it doesn't work, go to the MK planning website;

https://publicaccess2.milton-keynes.gov.uk/online-applications/

and search for "Bletchley flyover". The drawing above was from the third entry on the list.

HTH

Andy

(edit - just seen Ian's post above which suggests looking for what I've linked to)

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

https://publicaccess2.milton-keynes.gov.uk/online-applications/

and search for "Bletchley flyover". The drawing above was from the third entry on the list.

HTH

Andy

(edit - just seen Ian's post above which suggests looking for what I've linked to)

That works

Thanks for the link.

I tried searching every combination of names (Network Rail, East West Rail etc.) and only found one loosely connected application.

I never considered "Bletchley Flyover" as the search  !

EDIT

Direct Link:

https://publicaccess2.milton-keynes.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=Q167JOKW0IS00&activeTab=summary

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/05/2020 at 14:44, Ian Smeeton said:

Would the local authority planning portal have details & plans of the work?

Regards

Ian

Thanks for the leads.

I am still trying to put them into the context of what I am seeing every day on the ground!

• RMweb Premium

Today's observation is that over the last couple of nights Buckingham Road has been closed to traffic (not that it would have worried most of us due to the restrictions) to enable removal of the parapets on the flyover.

The first picture was taken around mid-day yesterday and the second around 1900 today. 

20200520_115013.jpg

20200521_191426.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 20/05/2020 at 09:53, melmerby said:

Normally with a project of this magnitude NetworkRail would have a separate section in their projects information area but if it's there it's well disguised.

This could be because, while it obviously very much involves Network Rail, East/West Rail is not actually a NR project ?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

This could be because, while it obviously very much involves Network Rail, East/West Rail is not actually a NR project ?

The "Dear Neighbour" flyers pushed through doors are branded Network Rail.

NR_flyer.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This morning I went in the opposite direction to take a look at the Selbourne Avenue bridge (the plate reads Bridge 4).

Some new green painted metal fencing had been erected on the edge of one of the fields (used normally for football) and some tree clearance work had been undertaken.

The bridge itself could do with some graffiti removing (picture is looking north - Oxford to the left, Bletchley station to the right). 

20200522_121030.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Walking home I realised just how much the crane dominates the skyline. The Brickhills are in the background. View is looking east.

I understand it is to be exchanged for a bigger one soon.

20200522_122307.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 1E BoY said:

This morning I went in the opposite direction to take a look at the Selbourne Avenue bridge (the plate reads Bridge 4).

Some new green painted metal fencing had been erected on the edge of one of the fields (used normally for football) and some tree clearance work had been undertaken.

The bridge itself could do with some graffiti removing (picture is looking north - Oxford to the left, Bletchley station to the right). 

20200522_121030.jpg

I was born and bread in Selbourne Avenue and spent many a happy hour watching the trains go by. 

4 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

The "Dear Neighbour" flyers pushed through doors are branded Network Rail.

NR_flyer.jpg

Fair point, the flyover is of course on NR land; As an aside, it will be interesting to see how the boundaries between NR and East West Rail are agreed and defined !

• RMweb Premium

Surely although "East West Rail" (a consortium of interested parties) are the promoters of the project, it will be part of Network Rail when it's completed?

(Rather like HS2 which will become part of the national network once complete, unlike HS1)

East West Rail is in Network Rail's project plans:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/railway-upgrade-plan/key-projects/east-west-rail/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing much to report over the weekend - all seemed quiet when passed.

Today, section 3 was being finished off but note some wooden posts have been erected. I suspect that future viewing will be somewhat restricted!

20200526_155502.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
duplication of words
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

This morning they were starting to take the big blue crane apart ready to leave the site. Picture 1 was taken this evening and shows that the large beam has been taken down ready for transportation and is at ground level.

I believe a larger crane is due before the August Bank Holiday weekend when they have a possession. This should see the next four sections across the WCML removed (unofficial information). 

The second picture shows that the demolition of section 3 has been completed.

20200527_192918.jpg

20200527_192902.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The fencing is in the process of being installed.

That effectively wipes out a lot of what we will be able to record on here in future.

So reports will have to be confined to when we can see something happening above the fence!

20200528_155129.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
clarification