East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium

Following the removal of the first section yesterday, one more was removed this morning and another this afternoon. It had just been lowered on to a lorry for removal to the former Telephone Rentals site. 

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

At the former Telephone Rentals site the section removed this morning was being removed from the Allelly's lorry. On the far left the one removed yesterday was being consigned to history.

DSC_0141.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It's interesting that these spans seem to be constructed from pre cast segments that can be removed one at a time unlike the first spans that had to come out in one 300 ton piece.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The big crane arrived earlier today and by mid-afternoon was being assembled. The road between the bus station and the Brunel Centre roundabout / Duncombe Street was closed to all traffic not associated with the crane's assembly. Several large lorries were being unloaded and work on assembling the crane was well underway.

20200727_144332.jpg

20200727_144412.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

From the size of the crane I suspect that thisvis a span that comes out in one piece.

Jamie

The section appears to have been sliced like the one recently removed.

2 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

When will the bridge be taken down? 

They expect to start the work either tomorrow or the day after depending on weather conditions and also completion of crane assembly. Will keep an eye on it tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

From the size of the crane I suspect that thisvis a span that comes out in one piece.

Jamie

I went back to check. Definitely cut. Picture taken from the footpath looking upwards!

20200727_200722.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Work has been on-going preparing the section to be lifted.

The footpath that has been in use since the closure of the road (Police / Railway station side) is closed for four days according to local information to allow the spans to be lifted out. As a result the footpath along Water Eaton Road today has seen more pedestrians today than it has in the last year!

The top picture was taken at 1100 this morning and the bottom one at 1600 today.

I suspect lifting of the first section will take place tomorrow.

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that last picture, I bet its a lot lighter in 'The Park' these days...

There was long yellow section of crane parked up near Tattenhoe/Snellshall this morning, wonder where that might be going?

13 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Looking at that last picture, I bet its a lot lighter in 'The Park' these days...

There was long yellow section of crane parked up near Tattenhoe/Snellshall this morning, wonder where that might be going?

I went past this morning and I saw the long yellow section of crane at the former telephone rentals site. Looks like there is 5 cranes altogether also workmen are on the scissor lift making adjustments to the next span.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Davexoc said:

This was spotted going down Buckingham Road around 1700 yesterday before turning right into Water Eaton Road.

It was being assembled this morning. It can be seen above the gate with a person on top of it (wearing HV gear).

DSC_0005.JPG

Edited by 1E BoY
yesterday inserted
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No lift today. The straps on the crane jib were removed around 1700 today indicating that the lift had been abandoned for today.

The picture below was taken just before the straps were removed.

DSC_0003.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

I saw today that workmen are on top of the span  which they are removing. The alleys heavy haulage truck is underneath buckingham road bridge. The big big crane is now complete just waiting to go into the air. I think that now they have 5 or 4 cranes they can do multiple lifts If i would imagine.