East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

Will they be taking down the Column too? I can’t wait to see more pictures.

I would assume so as the new alignment doesn't exactly follow the old.

The ones holding the spans over the WCML have already been demolished.

• RMweb Premium

DSC_0011.JPG.074013003e13d3aeac4a8d7fba59b715.JPGThis is a view of the recently delivered crane which is standing on the old Telephone Rentals site.

This was photographed from the entrance road to the "Not Lambs Siding" Network Rail complex on Water Eaton Road this morning. This should give a fair indication of the size of the thing!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I would assume so as the new alignment doesn't exactly follow the old.

The ones holding the spans over the WCML have already been demolished.

If I remember  correctly from the article in Modern Railways last month, most of the columns ard to be reused apart from the ones crossing the WCML. The alignment us not due to change but things like platforms are being added.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

17 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

Has the bridge span now gone or will they taking down the column at night? 

It took some 2.5 hours from 1300 today to get the preparation completed ready to remove this segment, leaving two more to come out. This took immense effort in pretty stiffling conditions today from a very professional team. Once the preparation had been completed there was the no small matter of connecting the hooks up and the removing the safety fencing. This was done by staff using harnesses and wire with the fencing already in place along the next span. Obviously they need that for safety should someone fall over the top. 

The actual removal looked effortless but of course that was down to the skill of the crane driver. Having lifted it up it was then placed on to the waiting lorry.

I was told that the columns will be inspected once the spans are cleared and then a decision will be made as to them staying or being replaced.

Further pictures of the lift this afternoon below. The first shows the crane hook with straps being lowered towards the bridge. The second shows the segment being carefully raised.

It was an impressive spectacle to witness (at a safe distance and pointing the camera over the hoardings in front of the Park Hotel)!

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

Edited by 1E BoY
Grammar
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

It would be interesting to contrast these pictures with the construction of the bridge spans, should any pictures of that event exist.

The only picture I have found of the beams being lifted into place.

The photo is from the RCTS collection

"Concrete Viaduct Bletchley"
Construction of the concrete viaduct to carry the line from Oxford and Bicester over the West Coast main line South of Bletchley Station, photo by Bob Berry.

Concrete%20Viaduct%20Bletchley%2004Mch62%20Bob%20Berry.889.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

All was quiet this morning when I visited.

The two recent arrivals can be seen in the two pictures below both taken from Duncombe Street.

The first picture shows the large crane positioned in the former Telephone Rentals compound which gives a better perspective of its size.

The second shows not only the crane but also the two remaining spans that were not removed yesterday. I am told that they are likely to be removed on Monday. The footpath down in front of the Police Station was open this morning. 

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

• Like 9

19 hours ago, cg501 said:

The only picture I have found of the beams being lifted into place.

Thank you.

Considering the size of the machinery and the general disruption required to remove the beams today I was curious as to what put them in place all those years ago.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

One might perhaps have expected that with a project of this significance and the disruption it causes, that weekend working might be the order of the day??

They worked overnight to remove a section behind Halfords garage. Top picture taken yesterday - bottom around 1000 this morning. The section has been circled.

I will take another view from Water Eaton Road later. The sun was in the wrong place this morning - so it will have to be an afternoon shot.

DSC_0002_Edit.JPG

DSC_0006_Edited.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

Thank you.

Considering the size of the machinery and the general disruption required to remove the beams today I was curious as to what put them in place all those years ago.

Rail mounted cranes in those days. Have a look at the pictures further up of spans being installed. I doubt that there were many big road cranes in those days.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

I will take another view from Water Eaton Road later. The sun was in the wrong place this morning - so it will have to be an afternoon shot

Viewed from Water Eaton Road around 1800 this evening. This gives a clearer view of the section removed overnight.

DSC_0012.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This view that has existed in one form on another for over 60 years will soon be just a memory. We look forward to seeing what its replacement looks like!

Viewed from the barriers across Buckingham Road earlier this evening.

DSC_0002.JPG

Edited by 1E BoY
correction
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, roythebus said:

Rail mounted cranes in those days. Have a look at the pictures further up of spans being installed. I doubt that there were many big road cranes in those days.

From what I could find, for sections away from the railway the construction company used 2 cranes, The first was a was a 20 ton lift capable which was block mounted and this was rebuilt when its reach was no longer capable of lifting each beam. They may have used other methods to lift sections close to Bletchley yard, but I didn't find photos of this.

This picture shows where this weekends works to remove sections was carried out but from 1958. 

https://www.livingarchive.org.uk/content/catalogue_item/graham-smith-collection/photographs-of-bletchley-railway-station/bletchley-station-building-the-flyover-1958-1960

The second was a 15 ton ex rail crane mounted on to a excavator chassis,  its boom was extended, but this was used only for the lighter sections 

https://www.livingarchive.org.uk/content/catalogue_item/graham-smith-collection/photographs-of-bletchley-railway-station/bletchley-station-building-the-flyover-1958-1960-2

I think NRM have a few more pictures.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1