East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Delivery robots, do they get stolen?

So far as I can work out, no.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to steal one, except possibly to strip it down for parts anyway.

More interestingly, they don't seem to get vandalised either

Not only can they see - they can talk as well!

One got stuck and another chap and I helped it up a damaged kerb for which it said "Thank You"!

I understand that should anyone try to rob or steal it then it has a very loud alarm system to alert people.

In our area of Bletchley there are up to 10 of them in use by the Co-op in Newton Road every day. The St. Mary's Avenue Chip Shop also uses them for deliveries.  Eight were lined up at the Co-op this morning, one had just been sent away with a couple of bags of shopping and the other was noted on my return walk returning "light engine" back to its home depot! They have become very popular since they were introduced early in Covid-19 lock down.

They can only be opened by use of a mobile phone that contains the correct app. 

At least it makes a change from photographing demolition of Bletchley Flyover!

20200914_122417.jpg

20200517_105324.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

No smart phone, so no delivery then?

I would have thought that some of those most in need of home deliveries would be those least likely to have a smart phone.

Jonathan

Exactly - but the way of the world, nowadays!

Shock, horror! I needed to call over a waitress at our local beach cafe today, because my analogue mobile phone - which I didn't have with me anyway - wouldn't have been capable of interacting with their on-line ordering app.

Anyway - how do you tip an app? (Actually, that might be the only reason that I might buy a smartphone)!

Yours grumpily,

John Isherwood.

Saw one for the first time a couple of months ago in Shenley Brook End (an area of MK) when returning from dinner in the pub with my ex.

It was clearly lost as it was zig-zagging like a tramp steamer in U-boat territory, going round three sides of every block while we went straight on along the fourth side, and my ex informed me she frequently had to drag them out of hedges when she took her dog for a walk in the morning.  Navigation is clearly not their strong point.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/09/2020 at 17:07, cctransuk said:

Exactly - but the way of the world, nowadays!

Shock, horror! I needed to call over a waitress at our local beach cafe today, because my analogue mobile phone - which I didn't have with me anyway - wouldn't have been capable of interacting with their on-line ordering app.

Still working, even though the network was switched off ages ago?:scratchhead:

On 14/09/2020 at 18:45, mike morley said:

Saw one for the first time a couple of months ago in Shenley Brook End (an area of MK) when returning from dinner in the pub with my ex.

It was clearly lost as it was zig-zagging like a tramp steamer in U-boat territory, going round three sides of every block while we went straight on along the fourth side, and my ex informed me she frequently had to drag them out of hedges when she took her dog for a walk in the morning.  Navigation is clearly not their strong point.

Amusing little things, aren't they? Something like Terry Pratchett's 'Luggage', rebuilt by the Sirius Cybernetic Corporation.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Amusing little things, aren't they? Something like Terry Pratchett's 'Luggage', rebuilt by the Sirius Cybernetic Corporation.

Now self-navigating luggage-there's a thing that could take off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Thanks, i was a little puzzled by the term analogue!

You can still send/receive texts though.

No - my fingers are too big for the buttons and I end up chucking the thing by the time that I have typed even the shortest of messages.

I leave such technological sophistication to my wife - she has smaller fingers and a longer temper!

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

No - my fingers are too big for the buttons and I end up chucking the thing by the time that I have typed even the shortest of messages.

I leave such technological sophistication to my wife - she has smaller fingers and a longer temper!

John Isherwood.

What you need is a smartphone that you can dictate a text to!

• RMweb Premium

The final section behind the Avis garage has been removed overnight.

Top picture shows it in position yesterday and the second was taken around 1015  this morning.

This leaves just one section to remove at the end of Duncombe Street (bottom picture). It appears to be ready for lifting.

20200919_115033.jpg

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I was out along the Bletchley-Winslow section yesterday, and for the first time I would say they are “really cracking into the job”, with significant numbers of people and a good bit of plant working on properly clearing the track-bed (not just cutting back vegetation) and the early stages of drainage and embankment stabilisation visible.

Still no good reason for weasel Lane to be closed ...... it’s gated-off completely unnecessarily.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

I have seen the new crane it’s a green one sitting behind the pub

That will be this one which arrived today. Around 1615 it was being assembled at the end of Duncombe Street and another lorry had just turned up with more of it on board.

It is due to lift the last section overnight Saturday/Sunday morning.

20200925_163026.jpg

20200925_163103.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/09/2020 at 13:21, 1E BoY said:

Not only can they see - they can talk as well!

One got stuck and another chap and I helped it up a damaged kerb for which it said "Thank You"!

I understand that should anyone try to rob or steal it then it has a very loud alarm system to alert people.

In our area of Bletchley there are up to 10 of them in use by the Co-op in Newton Road every day. The St. Mary's Avenue Chip Shop also uses them for deliveries.  Eight were lined up at the Co-op this morning, one had just been sent away with a couple of bags of shopping and the other was noted on my return walk returning "light engine" back to its home depot! They have become very popular since they were introduced early in Covid-19 lock down.

They can only be opened by use of a mobile phone that contains the correct app. 

At least it makes a change from photographing demolition of Bletchley Flyover!

20200914_122417.jpg

20200517_105324.jpg

My kid's love seeing them when we walk round to the co-op. 

I'm sure that they will have a GPS tracker if anything did happen 

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, porkie said:

My kid's love seeing them when we walk round to the co-op. 

I'm sure that they will have a GPS tracker if anything did happen 

They use GPS to find their way around. Wouldn't work at all without it.