East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

I went and visited the flyover today and noticed where the green crane was there is now a new red crane beside the pub. I wonder what they are doing?

Moving the pub?:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A new crane arrived on site today. It was still being assembled this afternoon when the picture was taken.

I understand it is being used to remove some of the piers which have now been fitted with lifting rings. I understand work is scheduled to take place on some of these tomorrow night / Sunday morning.

20201016_154804.jpg

20201016_155106 Ringed.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Grammar
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

Were there any lifts last night on the flyover?

The crane at the end of Duncombe Street had been removed when I visited the site just after 1000.

Some work appears to have been done on the piers overnight.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some shots from the Water Eaton Road work site taken this morning through the security fencing with a long telephoto lens. Looking east towards the town centre. The houses in the background are in Duncombe Street.

The final shot is of the back of the Telephone Rentals building showing that on the main building now remains.

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

• Like 7

23 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

All those access platforms look like a crowd of machines waiting to wreak havoc on us humans.

Jamie

Or H.G. Wells' Martians, but I think we humans are doing a cracking job of wreaking havoc on ourselves.

One of the comics I read in the 1950s-1960s had a strip that ran for some time  in which all the automated machines (notable for their standard electronic brains that looked remarkably like an upturned pudding basin with a VHF aerial poking out of it) went out of control and did what they were designed to but relentlessly. I can't track down which comic it was but it was around the time that the Beezer had the "Jellymen". My favourite was a group  of railway building machines that were frenziedly marching across the countryside leaving new railway lines, complete with cuttings and embankments- not sure about viaducts- in their wake. Anti Beeching robots. anyone? 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Or H.G. Wells' Martians, but I think we humans are doing a cracking job of wreaking havoc on ourselves.

Yes I must admit that I thought of the War of the Worlds.

Jamie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2020 at 11:27, 1E BoY said:

Some shots from the Water Eaton Road work site taken this morning through the security fencing with a long telephoto lens. Looking east towards the town centre. The houses in the background are in Duncombe Street.

The final shot is of the back of the Telephone Rentals building showing that on the main building now remains.

DSC_0021.JPG

At a quick glace they look like Johnny 5 from the film Short Circuit.......

• Like 1

On 22/10/2020 at 19:31, Nearholmer said:

Might the plan be to undermine, then topple, it? Or, if it is to remain, to add supplementary foundations.

The nearest 2 are retained and getting reinforced  (expanded) lower down (to level with the top of the taper on the ends). The top still needs to come of the closest one (e.g. so it looks like the one behind)

Edited by Quagmire
typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Quagmire said:

The nearest 2 are retained and getting reinforced  (expanded) lower down (to level with the top of the taper on the ends). The top still needs to come of the closest one (e.g. so it looks like the one behind)

I was told that the top of this one next to Buckingham Road is indeed being retained and the excavations are for strengthening the foundations. This was taken this evening around 1800 through a gap in the security fencing. Some of the others have had the top sections removed and now look Stonehenge like!

20201026_183734.jpg

• Like 12

11 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

I was told that the top of this one next to Buckingham Road is indeed being retained and the excavations are for strengthening the foundations. This was taken this evening around 1800 through a gap in the security fencing. Some of the others have had the top sections removed and now look Stonehenge like!

20201026_183734.jpg

I have it as down for additional reinforcement and the top being removed. The new deck design is incompatible with the top being retained.

Each of the "capped" piers will be getting a new top with a suitable bearings (the bearings being one of the main drivers for all this work).

The new deck designs here are very different the old one.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3