East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium
On 27/10/2020 at 08:50, Quagmire said:

I have it as down for additional reinforcement and the top being removed. The new deck design is incompatible with the top being retained.

Each of the "capped" piers will be getting a new top with a suitable bearings (the bearings being one of the main drivers for all this work).

The new deck designs here are very different the old one

I understand that a machine is being brought in to start gnawing away at the top section to leave the pier which will then be stregthened. The hatched area (and above it) on the attached image is what I understand is being removed.

20201029_154544.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 30/10/2020 at 14:30, 1E BoY said:

I understand that a machine is being brought in to start gnawing away at the top section to leave the pier which will then be stregthened. The hatched area (and above it) on the attached image is what I understand is being removed.

20201029_154544.jpg

Correct. 

On the strengthening detail the pier will be encapsulated to strengthen it up to the top of the taper at the end.

Edited by Quagmire
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There was considerable work going on today at the end of Duncombe Street on  the two piers.

8 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

I just seen that they are taking down the weldex yellow and red crane down. Most probably finished using it. 

The second picture taken from Water Eaton Road shows the crane referred to above being dismantled this morning.

20201105_115203.jpg

20201105_124202.jpg

• Like 7

One interesting little bit of news I've not seen mentioned here yet is that various bricks from Verney Junction and Swanbourne station's have been donated to the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. Unfortunately, this also now means that both Verney Junction and Swanbourne have both now been demolished, but it's good to see some of the stations providing re-use on another line. More info can be seen here on the Heritage blog: 

http://haylesabbeyhalt.blogspot.com

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

There was considerable work going on today at the end of Duncombe Street on  the two piers.

The second picture taken from Water Eaton Road shows the crane referred to above being dismantled this morning.

20201105_115203.jpg

20201105_124202.jpg

The crane has its crane arm extended higher so they must be lifting something heavy as I saw this afternoon but unfortunately I don’t have no pictures. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

They began demolishing the top of the pier nearest to Buckingham Road at the end of Duncombe Street today.

Water was being sprayed from the platform to keep dust down.

Will keep track of this during the week. Buckingham Road is due to re-open early in December.

20201110_151310(0).jpg

20201110_151533.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Clarification
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

A fleet of dumper trucks are moving between the old Telephone Rentals site and the Buckingham Road rail bridge to be loaded with rubble that has been used for hard standing. The road is due to reopen in December which is just a few days away. They certainly had a system in place so I suspect it will not take more than a couple of days to remove the lot.

As the first image shows there is a lot of it!

20201125_093453.jpg

20201125_095243.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Grammar
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Completely off-topic, but here's my old desk and chair which came from TR House (the TR buildings), and was rescued from the skip when the office furniture was replaced in 1990. Somewhere it is date stamped 1976, so I guess it was part of the original office furniture when the building opened. I've had it for twice as long as the company had it!

IMG_20201122_173817030.jpg.58cd038b8a80725723747a109b8486dc.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 6