East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium

Clearance work well advanced. The carriageway towards the town centre now clear of rubble.

Work was progressing well by 1200 on the other side. Dumper truck spotters would be in their element this week!

20201126_114852.jpg

20201126_115137.jpg

20201126_114744.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

What a difference three hours makes. By 1500, the second carriageway leading from the town centre had been cleared and they were removing spoil from the area at the end of Duncombe Street by the Park PH.20201126_142254.jpg.149602b76ccf7f1c98e893ae242bb32c.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Clarification
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

Clearance work well advanced. The carriageway towards the town centre now clear of rubble.

Work was progressing well by 1200 on the other side. Dumper truck spotters would be in their element this week!

20201126_114852.jpg

20201126_115137.jpg

20201126_114744.jpg

I'd forgotten how narrow those lanes are. I'm in LB on the 10th, shame it won't be open, or I'd take a drive down there.

Thanks for posting the photos, much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2020 at 10:56, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

Buckingham Road will reopen on 17th December according to the sign where the site of the old Enigma Tavern is.

I personally cannot see how it is going to take three weeks to reopen this stretch of road to traffic. Today they were removing some of the more permanent barriers and replacing with the steel lock mesh fencing. As the picture shows the biggest job is going to be reinstalling the zebra crossing lights and signals but that should not be over difficult. They were removed quickly enough!

There is still some spoil to remove from the end of Duncombe Street adjacent to the Park PH (bottom picture).

Pictures taken around 1430 today.20201127_151604.jpg.fe09c923ecc1b85d1bcdf049b7c58baf.jpg

20201127_143443.jpg

20201127_151240.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Clarification
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

A lot of activity taking place around 2300 this evening with workers arriving on site. Looks like a busy night. They have been piling during weekend possessions for the box section that will take trains over the WCML.

20201128_230201.jpg.18ca14a882a2340f06535e40efe3de98.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

I was on 6Y60 in the station last night, it still feels slightly odd looking up and seeing part of the flyover missing!

Was that the Basford Hall to Bletchley (Drayton Road Jcn) http://trackit.uppyjc.co.uk/TrackIT/Forms/Train.aspx?DateUid=20201128U34982&AutoRefresh=False&CameFromLocationID=1027&Estimate=False that went via Wembley? If so, was the Wembley trip a run round and positional move?

15 hours ago, Pannier Tank said:

Thank you, I thought that might be the case. I guess the lack of facilities (Signalling / Shunter) prevented running round in Bletchley Yard and reversing to site?

No, not really, just easier to send it down to Wembley and come back to Bletchley on the Down Slow so that it was in the right place to take the possession round it at the appointed time. Sometimes it just works out better that way. There was already a member of groundstaff on site when we relieved it, ready to split the train in platform 3 before starting work.

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

No, not really, just easier to send it down to Wembley and come back to Bletchley on the Down Slow so that it was in the right place to take the possession round it at the appointed time. Sometimes it just works out better that way. There was already a member of groundstaff on site when we relieved it, ready to split the train in platform 3 before starting work.

Thank you for the explanation, all understood. I was only thinking operationally and I should have took the "possession" as a whole into consideration.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of shots taken from the stairs at the top of Platform 6 (the old platform 8) today enroute to collect car from being serviced. As I had a few minutes to wait for the train and the sun was shining it seemed a shame not to point the phone at the works. The top picture shows the section north of Buckingham Road (which runs on an east - west basis, the camera looking southeast). Considerable work is taking place on this section which is not very visible from the road side.

The second picture looking north shows what was once known as Field Sidings locally and the cement terminal is built into and alongside the old L&NWR goods shed, the bricks show its remaining original parts (last picture). The trees now hide the flyover with the stone train slowly moving towards the terminal for unloading. This site was once full of sidings with Bletchley's allocated diesel locomotives lined up ready for duty.

It will be interesting to see how this view changes during 2021.

20201201_143801.jpg

20201201_101429.jpg

20201201_143741.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Spelling error
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

They were moving barriers today which look like they will reduce the dual carriageway on the west bound (towards Old / Far Bletchley) to a single lane and to allow the creation of a new protected work site at the end of Duncombe Street. Pictures taken around 1000 this morning.

Even the reduced road space will greatly improve traffic flow under the railway which for the past few months has been reliant on the Water Eaton Road bridge (single carriageway controlled by traffic lights) which has caused severe congestion at school times. 

20201202_100645.jpg

20201202_101038.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2020 at 22:46, 1E BoY said:

A couple of shots taken from the stairs at the top of Platform 6 (the old platform 8) today enroute to collect car from being serviced.

On 01/12/2020 at 22:46, 1E BoY said:

The second picture looking north shows what was once known as Field Sidings locally and the cement terminal is built into and alongside the old L&NWR goods shed, the bricks show its remaining original parts (last picture).

Platform 8 & Field Sidings brings back some happy memories. I used to spend many an hour during school holidays Spotting from Platform 8 and keeping an eye on the "Field Sidings" watching 47500 & 47521 and D3795 & D3796 carry out their Station Pilot Duties. If I was lucky, I'd get a ride on the Station Pilot. The most memorable thing I saw in the "Field Sidings" was 46245 City of London when working the daily Crewe to Willesden Parcels dropping off a few carriages. I can still hear the screeching of flanges and creaking of the track as she carried out these duties. Happy Days.

• Like 7

On 02/12/2020 at 21:45, 1E BoY said:

They were moving barriers today which look like they will reduce the dual carriageway on the west bound (towards Old / Far Bletchley) to a single lane and to allow the creation of a new protected work site at the end of Duncombe Street. Pictures taken around 1000 this morning.

Even the reduced road space will greatly improve traffic flow under the railway which for the past few months has been reliant on the Water Eaton Road bridge (single carriageway controlled by traffic lights) which has caused severe congestion at school times. 

20201202_100645.jpg

20201202_101038.jpg

Any updates to Buckingham Road Roundabout recently? 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

Any updates to Buckingham Road Roundabout recently?

Over the past few days they have been replacing pavement slabs, fencing and other street furniture. The compound at the end of the Duncombe Street has been extended into the carriageway and this afternoon was being painted.

20201209_134429(0).jpg

20201209_134500.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

Any updates today. I see that there was a white crane next to the big yellow and red weldex crane

Work continues to get the road ready for reopening (I was told Friday by one of the workers). They were painting the new hoarding on the carriageway to the western part of Bletchley, wiring the lights and zebra crossing, replacing some of the pavements, removing barriers on the eastern approach road and generally tidying up the site.

The reopening of this stretch of road will relieve pressure on Water Eaton Road (total chaos at school times). 

The main work site between the station and the flyover is now behind barriers allowing work to be carried out with the railway still operating. This provides a lack of photographic opportunities in this area.

We have had a letter from Network Rail advising us that work will be carried out between 24 Dec and 27 Dec replacing the overhead wires. Construction of the new sections of the flyover will commence in the new year. 

A section of Water Eaton Road will be closed between the 11th - 15th January to facilitate construction of a new entrance to the worksite between the flyover and the WCML bridge.

The photograph shows the WCML with the east bound carriageway nearest the camera.

The second picture is looking east towards the town centre.

20201216_121111.jpg

20201216_121205.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Images attached
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, 1E BoY said:

Work continues to get the road ready for reopening (I was told Friday by one of the workers). They were painting the new hoarding on the carriageway to the western part of Bletchley, wiring the lights and zebra crossing, replacing some of the pavements, removing barriers on the eastern approach road and generally tidying up the site.

The reopening of this stretch of road will relieve pressure on Water Eaton Road (total chaos at school times). 

The main work site between the station and the flyover is now behind barriers allowing work to be carried out with the railway still operating. This provides a lack of photographic opportunities in this area.

We have had a letter from Network Rail advising us that work will be carried out between 24 Dec and 27 Dec replacing the overhead wires. Construction of the new sections of the flyover will commence in the new year. 

A section of Water Eaton Road will be closed between the 11th - 15th January to facilitate construction of a new entrance to the worksite between the flyover and the WCML bridge.

The photograph shows the WCML with the east bound carriageway nearest the camera.

The second picture is looking east towards the town centre.

20201216_121111.jpg

20201216_121205.jpg

I heard behind the weldex crane they have a new white crane and piling machine in the site yard where the former telephone rental car park is? 

• RMweb Premium

I posted some pictures on my random railway pictures thread yesterday and wasn't sure of the location.  It turned out to be Bletchley and I realised that the flyover was in the background.

P5188602.JPG.6c1ef2d9fa4bd85d253db71f399f4640.JPG

It must look a bit different now. This was in May 2012.

Jamie

• Like 4