East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium

Yes!  Forders, not Salters.

I'm finding the "Reply quoting this post" facility isn't working for me and hasn't for a few weeks now. 

Thanks for confirming; I wasn't too sure if "Salters" was a modern term. The run round at Newton Road is now referred to as "Swanborne Siding" when in fact it is at the site of the old "Newton Longville" Signal Box which controlled entry/exit to the old London Brick Works Sidings. The old signal box was located just after the last house on left hand side of Newton Road heading towards the bridge. The original Swanbourne Sidings was located about 1 1/2 miles further west.

• RMweb Gold

Yes!  Forders, not Salters.

I'm finding the "Reply quoting this post" facility isn't working for me and hasn't for a few weeks now. 

Try this. At the bottom left of every page is "Change Theme". Click on it and opt for "RMweb 2013". That should do it for you.

In 1968 I wasted some time on some sort of day-release at a college in the City. One of our lecturers described the new Swanbourne yard as a white elephant.

• RMweb Premium

In 1968 I wasted some time on some sort of day-release at a college in the City. One of our lecturers described the new Swanbourne yard as a white elephant.

Swanbourne Sidings was a busy yard supplementing Bletchley Yard. It was the Bletchley Flyover that was the white elephant; although it is soon to get a new lease of life when the East / West route fully opens.

• RMweb Gold

Try this. At the bottom left of every page is "Change Theme". Click on it and opt for "RMweb 2013". That should do it for you.

Which in the case of the new Swanbourne Yard is exactly what it was but fortunately it never achieved that status as it was cancelled before much, if any, work had been done on the ground.  In view of the furore over HS2 one wonders quite what the reaction would be if a yard the size of Kingmoor mechanised yard would be proposed to be built at Swanbourne nowadays? :O 

• RMweb Premium

Which in the case of the new Swanbourne Yard is exactly what it was but fortunately it never achieved that status as it was cancelled before much, if any, work had been done on the ground.  In view of the furore over HS2 one wonders quite what the reaction would be if a yard the size of Kingmoor mechanised yard would be proposed to be built at Swanbourne nowadays? :O 

The original Swanbourne Sidings was a reasonably busy Yard supplementing Bletchley Yard until the decline in Wagon Load Trains. There were several daily Swanbourne to Willesden Freight Trains that required a reversal at Bletchley.

One of the problems with Bletchley yard was that at times (when marshalling long trains) it required the Yard Shunter (12073 / 12074) to pull out of the yard into the up Cambridge Platform and then onto the Up Slow Line.

Edited by Pannier Tank

A friend has posted some pictures of the Cambridge end of the oxford - Cambridge line..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicholasy/14073881797/

This point was No4 in Cambridge Goods Yard box..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicholasy/14073788939/in/photostream/

This portion of line carried LMS track circuit 10770.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicholasy/14258288642/in/photostream/

• Like 1

The original Swanbourne Sidings was a reasonably busy Yard supplementing Bletchley Yard until the decline in Wagon Load Trains. There were several daily Swanbourne to Willesden Freight Trains that required a reversal at Bletchley.

One of the problems with Bletchley yard was that at times (when marshalling long trains) it required the Yard Shunter (12073 / 12074) to pull out of the yard into the up Cambridge Platform and then onto the Up Slow Line.

Goodie, that means we can do the same in 1:87 (or 1:76) scale!!

The latest edition of Rail has an extensive article all about the project,but what a convoluted process its a wonder if anything gets built in the UK these days ,also the Castlefield curve saga is in the mag as well but I wont get into that on this thread .

The latest edition of Rail has an extensive article all about the project,but what a convoluted process its a wonder if anything gets built in the UK these days ,also the Castlefield curve saga is in the mag as well but I wont get into that on this thread .

i was reading that yesterday too.

First trip to the MOD at Bicester via Aylesbury and Claydon LNE JC showing some of the alterations at Bicester

post-14048-0-74534500-1401744864_thumb.jpg

Between Jarvis Lane crossing and passing under the Chiltern line

post-14048-0-90355200-1401744947_thumb.jpg

Fortuitous timing passing under the Chiltern line

post-14048-0-66643800-1401745019_thumb.jpg

Approaching 'Gavray Junction' if you look on the far right you can see the Aldi supermarket sign hence somebodys comment that it might be called Aldi Junction

post-14048-0-88041100-1401745176_thumb.jpg

The humungous structure of Tubbs lane crossing footbridge with its disabled access ramps. It is right next door to a nursery (children not plants) so they want something on the bridge to stop people looking in.

post-14048-0-91570800-1401745545_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-19079000-1401745562_thumb.jpg

Couple of shots of the train at the same location as I was required to visually check the points even though they where given back with the engineering supervisor having to come to Claydon signalbox and sign a form saying all was in order before we left there.

post-14048-0-54049500-1401745818_thumb.jpg

Waiting at the stop board on the approach to Bicester London Road for the crossing attendant to lower the barriers and give us a green flag to proceed across the crossing.

post-14048-0-67337200-1401745929_thumb.jpg

Crossing keeper with arms akimbo, apparently the chap with the camera is normally seen around Islip.

post-14048-0-75515200-1401746082_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-48275900-1401746094_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-56834000-1401746111_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-76649000-1401746124_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-57201100-1401746135_thumb.jpg

On the approach to the MOD at Bicester and waiting for the MOD shunter. Just be thankful these pics do not come with 'aromasurround' as we are close to a sewage farm!

The track has been slewed and now runs directly into the MOD for the time being instead of it being accessed from a GF off the running line

Edited by Eggesford box
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Though not strictly Oxford-Bletchley, on a related note.... New study supports economic case for ‘Central Section’ rail link

The East West Rail Consortium has published a report into the economic benefits of reopening the central section through to Cambridge:

East West Rail Central Section Conditional Outputs Statement – Explanatory Note

East West Rail Central Section Conditional Outputs Statement – Executive Summary

East West Rail Central Section Conditional Outputs Statement – Final Report

Chris

Edited by Christopher125

• 1 month later...

hi, my name is don burke. I am trying to find out as much information on the stretch of line between the Bletchley fly over and Winslow. If you could help it would be much appreciated. my tel number is  and email is donburke@hotmail.co.uk

Edited by Andy Y
phone number removed - not wise to post it on the 'net!

• RMweb Premium

hi, my name is don burke. I am trying to find out as much information on the stretch of line between the Bletchley fly over and Winslow. If you could help it would be much appreciated. my tel number is  and email is donburke@hotmail.co.uk

Hello Don,

Which period are you interested in?

Have you heard of http://www.eastwestrail.org.uk

As you probably aware the Oxford Branch is currently truncated at the Newton Road Bridge?

Hopefully in the next couple of years the line wiĺl be re-instated.

The line was mentioned tonight on South Today evidently the Liberals have decided that a high speed line to Cambridge is needed wonder were they have been all this time with all the work going on at Oxford ,Bicester and soon Bletchley .They should  check with NR as to whats going on with ideas for rail Bedford Cambridge poloticians never seem to surprise me with their brilliant ideas.By the way is the Aylesbury line northwards to be doubled?

The line was mentioned tonight on South Today evidently the Liberals have decided that a high speed line to Cambridge is needed wonder were they have been all this time with all the work going on at Oxford ,Bicester and soon Bletchley .They should  check with NR as to whats going on with ideas for rail Bedford Cambridge poloticians never seem to surprise me with their brilliant ideas.By the way is the Aylesbury line northwards to be doubled?

The section east of Bedford to Cambridge hasn't been authorised so they do have a point of sorts.  This is the most difficult bit as the former route isn't easily reinstateable and arguably isn't the best route anyway since it misses any significant population centre in between.  The most useful route, but probably also the most expensive, would be to turn south onto the MML through Luton, then east via an underground station at Luton Airport to join the ECML south of Stevenage.  This would serve two large towns and the airport as well as providing good interchange to two more main lines. 

Any plan that uses the Cambridge - Shepreth Branch Junction is not really practical as that bit is pretty much at capacity. To follow the A428 to St Neots and then on to Cambourne is more likely, somehow picking up the old Oxford - Cambridge line into Cambridge itself. Knowing how they are around that way there will be a break of gauge just outside the city so they can keep their beloved misguided busway <g>

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

Any plan that uses the Cambridge - Shepreth Branch Junction is not really practical as that bit is pretty much at capacity. To follow the A428 to St Neots and then on to Cambourne is more likely, somehow picking up the old Oxford - Cambridge line into Cambridge itself. Knowing how they are around that way there will be a break of gauge just outside the city so they can keep their beloved misguided busway <g>

Maybe they should just extend the busway westwards, be far better than a modern double track electric railway after all...

Stewart

Maybe they should just extend the busway westwards, be far better than a modern double track electric railway after all...

Stewart

You could do the same instead of building HS2, you'd make even bigger construction savings if you used existing roads to take all the buses through the Nimby heartlands of the Chilterns. They don't like new infrastructure anywhere near them so should find that entirely satisfactory!!
  • Like 1