East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I've often wondered how it crossed Steve, as both the Ox/Cam on the left and the ECML on the right are on embankments, I'm guessing they just built the ground up on the approach and made a crossing. 

I don't remember any earthworks for the chord when I was a kid, it had all been flattened out and returned to growing land.

IMG_4268.JPG.485b292a5e65c9a75118916eb8fbd2b7.JPG

The old field lane is now Sunderland Road which serves the industrial estate and new housing to the North. (I'm about right for the arrow location).

The footbridge would have been New Zealand bridge ( named because it accessed the camp adjacent to Tempsford airfield occupied by the Kiwis) and was Bridge '123' ....the plate for this now resides not far from where I sit.....repatriated when I was 15...:rolleyes:

I think the lane rose up to cross the chord line then dropped down again.  I presume it was flattened out at the same time as the embankment was removed, or something like that.  I didn't know why the foot bridge was called that!  I looked at that Google Earth view just now as well.  As you say, all that area is built over now.  Surprisingly though, the Google Earth doesn't show the huge solar panel farm that has sprung up on the east side of the main line in the last few years!

• RMweb Premium

Today's walk (in between rain showers) saw that the crane had been reassembled and that a hiab type machine was reducing the first section to rubble etc. (second picture) by picking away at it. This clearly explains the role of the demolition contractors.

Looks like the crane has been moved ready for the removal of the next section.

20200430_152446.jpg

20200430_152514.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 31A said:

A rare error by the Ordnance Survey!

I have seen it said that OS (and other map makers) make minor deliberate mistakes on their maps, if they are copied, it helps to establish that there has been a copyright breach.

Adrian

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

Today's walk (in between rain showers) saw that the crane had been reassembled and that a hiab type machine was reducing the first section to rubble etc. (second picture) by picking away at it. This clearly explains the role of the demolition contractors.

Maybe there are structural defects in the concrete after all, despite it looking in good nick? I guess it must have been on minimum maintenance from the end of regular traffic in what? 1992, until well into the present century.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Or are they doing destructive testing of one section before deciding whether the rest are OK? Looking at the state of the rebar perhaps? 

Jonathan

That would be a bit over the top. Ultrasonic testing would give you that information very easily.

Bernard

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that if they are going to put platforms there the whole deck will have to be redesigned to take the new loads and structures. It may well be that they start to build up new units then lift them back into place.

Justca hypothesis.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I suspect that if they are going to put platforms there the whole deck will have to be redesigned to take the new loads and structures. It may well be that they start to build up new units then lift them back into place.

Justca hypothesis.

Jamie

Seems more likely to me. I would imagine it would pay to build new purpose built bridge decks, properly fit for the purpose they are intended for, rather than modify structures that are now over 60 years old. At that age, they are probably near half life anyway.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Seems more likely to me. I would imagine it would pay to build new purpose built bridge decks, properly fit for the purpose they are intended for, rather than modify structures that are now over 60 years old. At that age, they are probably near half life anyway.

Except the platforms are going to be the other side of the WCML. If that is the case, then it looks like the whole lot will be renewed, and if the decks are not worth keeping, then surely the supports will be replaced too?

If the lot is coming down, then the WCML is going to have to be shut to remove those spans at some point.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe. The cost of renewing the decks might be worth it, given the cost of ongoing maintenance, and the likelihood of having to renew at some point in future anyway. Better to do it now, without an operational railway on top of it, even it it does means closing the WCML to remove some of the decks. There can't be more than 2 or 3 individual decks spanning the WCML, I would think that it should be possible to remove the necessary decks in one or two overnight possessions.

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

This seems to be contrary to the announced plan which AFAIK shows the viaduct "to be re-used" It didn't say "to be replaced"!

Trigger's broom?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

This seems to be contrary to the announced plan which AFAIK shows the viaduct "to be re-used" It didn't say "to be replaced"!

From what little information I can ascertain, some sections have failed the tests and are being removed. Others are staying. I may well be wrong but we shall see as the story unfolds further.

My unofficial sources suggest that the next section is due for removal in the next few days. They were working on this bit yesterday during my walk which looks like it may be readied for removal. Will see if there are any further developments later today.

20200501_161531.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

The only activity today was the departure of a large lorry with empty trailer which had delivered some form of machinery to site. It is in the top picture departing through the compound gates. It was not obvious what it had delivered.

Picture 2 shows that Water Eaton Road will be closed - although the G in Warning has gone AWOL!

20200502_153721.jpg

20200502_155644.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Southof1E top tmd said:

There is an all day blockade MK - Hemel on the WCML tomorrow,so assume the flyover sections over the running lines will get shunted about..I dont think there are any more blockades for this project coming up

cheers

NR

I have just been passed Hemel station on my morning exercise walk. The forecourt is marked out with tape, there are a few people about in orange jackets, but little sign of passengers. I hope it stays dry for those involved and that they get fed. There is sweet FA open nearby to get any  thing.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

The third section (the first over part of the WCML) was removed early this morning. Other work was on-going (picture 1) whilst the section was lowered onto the trailer ready for removal to the slings. Possesion in place until 0500 Monday.

20200503_121327.jpg

20200503_123144(0).jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

With 14 spans being removed, and three blockades this month, I might try and get down there if we get set free soon....

I wonder if the 14 are the central ones, and why the others don't need replacing??

16 hours ago, ess1uk said:

NR press release says bridge being rebuilt to latest standards 

Or, media speak for bridge no longer in fit condition to carry trains, although it might have been a moot point as to whether it was ever up to coping with 25T axleloads and class 66s. In any case, being late 1950s concrete, its condition may be less than desirable.

Jim 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

Or, media speak for bridge no longer in fit condition to carry trains, although it might have been a moot point as to whether it was ever up to coping with 25T axleloads and class 66s. In any case, being late 1950s concrete, its condition may be less than desirable.

Jim 

Would similar aged vertical supports not need replacing then? Just a question as they seem to be untouched at present.

Wasn't there a suggestion earlier that the build of the new platform has started, presumably that stretch is OK if so.