East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ray H said:

Would similar aged vertical supports not need replacing then? Just a question as they seem to be untouched at present.

With the supports being vertical the stresses will be 'in compression' which is far easier to mitigate than the flexing stresses the spans will be subjected to.

In simple terms,  near me there is a road bridge from 1875 over the ECML which has many issues with the deck and piers, the deck has had a lot of work and was initially weight restricted, but is now only fit for pedestriations and has been closed to wheeled traffic. The piers are bulging with the weight of the bridge but all that has been required to do is strap the piers with some steels to contain the bulge.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

With the supports being vertical the stresses will be 'in compression' which is far easier to mitigate than the flexing stresses the spans will be subjected to.

In simple terms,  near me there is a road bridge from 1875 over the ECML which has many issues with the deck and piers, the deck has had a lot of work and was initially weight restricted, but is now only fit for pedestriations and has been closed to wheeled traffic. The piers are bulging with the weight of the bridge but all that has been required to do is strap the piers with some steels to contain the bulge.

For this reason the decks may also be pre-stressed.  This is bad news as everything may appear OK until internal deterioration allows the reinforcement (under tension) to break free of the surrounding concrete (under compression).  At that point it loses a large proportion of its strength in a very short time.  I'm led to believe this is why the canopies at Derby station were held up by a very heavy temporary structure for many years until replacement a decade or so back.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Davexoc said:

With 14 spans being removed, and three blockades this month, I might try and get down there if we get set free soon....

I wonder if the 14 are the central ones, and why the others don't need replacing??

Or are the 14 being replaced just the length of a long platform? 

Having said that, would the new platforms be partially above the main WCML?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray H said:

Would similar aged vertical supports not need replacing then? Just a question as they seem to be untouched at present.

They might. A lot depends on the state of the concrete and the reinforcing, which does contibute significantly to their compressive strength. Getting at them is a different proposition anyway, as they would need ground level access (which may be covered in the impending weekend possessions of the WCML). Some of the columns also have offset tops, with a concrete beam between them to support the main beams, so they are subjected to greater bending and shear stresses. There is also, given the age of the structure, the possibility of various forms of what is loosely known as concrete cancer.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Main activity on site today was the breaking up of the first section (pictured) - there appeared to be little of it remaining. The second section remained on the lifting slings and the third one was still on the lorry. As the lorry will be needed next weekend for the next one, I expect to see it moved during the course of the week. 

20200504_160046.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 1E BoY said:

Main activity on site today was the breaking up of the first section (pictured) - there appeared to be little of it remaining. The second section remained on the lifting slings and the third one was still on the lorry. As the lorry will be needed next weekend for the next one, I expect to see it moved during the course of the week. 

20200504_160046.jpg

This is amazing! I saw this happen this morning, I thought they would have took them somewhere else to get demolished.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

This is amazing! I saw this happen this morning, I thought they would have took them somewhere else to get demolished.

Probably would need special transport to move it any distance.

Break it up and it can go in a normal vehicle of some sort

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

Just seen some images of the Bletchley flyover being lifted out in the sunset on Saturday. 
I would really love to see more pictures of the flyover being lifted out. Has anyone got any videos being lifted out. 

I'm hoping someone is going to do a time lapse, as I can't imagine it happens very quickly with the  and weight involved.

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Plus any debris could be crushed on site and used as aggregate to avoid landfill tax.

Maybe the 14 crushed spans will infill the remaining 23 to shore them up and thus save having to replace them.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

I found these from this YouTube video here, it gives you little snap shots of inside Mercury House and some of the East West Rail Link.

34169956-9388-4DB9-A0BD-FF336B58A363.png

36104DAF-BEEB-4B0E-AD3E-354F02F5D654.png

627341FD-2FED-41CD-A256-4FCAE604EDAB.png

413A6CD3-6B76-4C91-8A23-E30FE7808998.png

Fascinating. It was always TR House when I was there. Officially it became Mercury House when TR was "merged" into Mercury Communications, in April 1990, but everyone still called it TR House.

I haven't seen the inside of that building since 1991. 3.05 in is the 1st floor where I used to sit, facing the power box and steps to the station. The partition rooms down the middle are where equipment was tested-amplifiers and loudspeakers for P.A. and sound broadcast systems, telephone systems and on-site radio pagers. Happy days.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

I'm hoping someone is going to do a time lapse, as I can't imagine it happens very quickly with the  and weight involved.

Maybe the 14 crushed spans will infill the remaining 23 to shore them up and thus save having to replace them.....

The rubble may be useful elsewhere on the line, as infill.

19 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Fascinating. It was always TR House when I was there. Officially it became Mercury House when TR was "merged" into Mercury Communications, in April 1990, but everyone still called it TR House.

I haven't seen the inside of that building since 1991. 3.05 in is the 1st floor where I used to sit, facing the power box and steps to the station. The partition rooms down the middle are where equipment was tested-amplifiers and loudspeakers for P.A. and sound broadcast systems, telephone systems and on-site radio pagers. Happy days.

I don’t know if you heard apparently that Mercury House is getting converted into Residential flats. Once they built the flats, the occupants will get a good view of the trains going over the Flyover.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Or are the 14 being replaced just the length of a long platform? 

Having said that, would the new platforms be partially above the main WCML?

The work being done at present is to the west of the WCML.  There was an artist's impression somewhere upthread showing the platforms on the eastern ramp where the track is straighter.  I guess being a similar age and design some of those may also be in poor condition and we may see some similar work going on there too - or they may just replace all of them in that area with spans wide enough to take the platforms as well.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

I don’t know if you heard apparently that Mercury House is getting converted into Residential flats. Once they built the flats, the occupants will get a good view of the trains going over the Flyover.

No, didn't know, but it doesn't surprise me. Prime location for the London commuter market.

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

Each flat comes with a complementary Platform 5 pocket book.:jester:

• Funny 4

10 hours ago, TylerTrainFan2001 said:

And going by todays standards, they will all complain that the trains are spoiling there view.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ray M said:

And going by todays standards, they will all complain that the trains are spoiling there view.

Probably followed by complaining that the station announcements are disturbing them and then after the announcements being limited, the complaints that without announcements they don't know which train to catch! 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Demolition of the first section was down to the last three or four feet today.

To the right of the jib the ^ cuts into the decking of the next session to be removed are clearly visible.

20200505_153834.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Demolition of the first section was down to the last three or four feet today.

To the right of the jib the ^ cuts into the decking of the next session to be removed are clearly visible.