Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Your favourite scenic layout

Dicky W

For me, the 'scenics' can be just as important as the operations and track layout. Some of the layouts already mentioned are fantastic in that they draw you into the scene (plus I've had the pleasure of operating a couple of them "Diesels in The Duchy" and "Totnes" (for an hour or 2)). One mentioned, "County Gate", is very scenic but that's all it is, the operations seem to be an afterthought and I'm sorry to say that the layout leaves me cold as I like to see operations as much as scenery; "The Stealth Bomber" on the otherhand shows what IMHO is a perfect mix of great scenics and operations.

At the moment it has to be Pempoul. Even if Gordon and Maggie closed and dismantled the railway and made the station into a private house it would still be a brilliant model of a corner of Britanny. Apart from that my favourite is still the Madder Valley. Even though the individual models are of their time- brickpaper on card buildings and dyed sawdust for grass- the overall impression of a small seaport at the mouth of a river with a railway wending up its valley still hangs together incredibly well.

Whenever I visit Pendon (as a "friend" usually several times a year) I seem to end up spending longer with the MVR than with the Pendon Parva village scene superbly and inspiringly modelled as that is. 

I tend to like really convincing townscapes as scenery so there are two other layouts that come to mind.

Giles Barnabe's St. Emilie, even though mostly based on well adapted proprietary French building kits, seemed to really capture the atmosphere of a small town in northern France with its deux gares  (Standard and Metre gauge) It was also, for a very small layout, great fun to operate. 

The other townscape that I really liked, though never saw in the flesh, was P.D. Hancock's original Craig. Again this was a port with a light railway terminus next to the harbour but it really seemed to work as a scenic whole and I think that's the secret, to paint a picture in three dimensions of a place that if it existed you'd really love to visit. Strangely enough, I can't think of a single model based closely on a real place that does it for me so perhaps for a really attractive scene the artistic imagination needs free reign. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For me realism is very important part of a model railway, the way that buildings sit within the model. St. Merryn might not have masses of scenery, but the buildings look realistic. Clutton is a layout that I like as the baseboards have real depth. Trerice looks as if it is part of Dartmoor, so for me 'scenics' are landscape, details and buildings. To be honest I probably like this element of the hobby just as much as the trains themselves!

post-7376-0-91690700-1357500892.jpg

post-7376-0-11881100-1357500906.jpg

post-7376-0-55372500-1357500933_thumb.jpg

All three layouts I rate very highly.

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Must admit the mobile mini layouts Bob Harper has in On3 and On2 are very good but when linked into the rest of the train-set - the layout and scenery are absolutely superb!

• 2 months later...

The other townscape that I really liked, though never saw in the flesh, was P.D. Hancock's original Craig. Again this was a port with a light railway terminus next to the harbour but it really seemed to work as a scenic whole and I think that's the secret, to paint a picture in three dimensions of a place that if it existed you'd really love to visit. Strangely enough, I can't think of a single model based closely on a real place that does it for me so perhaps for a really attractive scene the artistic imagination needs free reign. 

I am not sure if you are aware but parts of Craig have been uncovered and are now in the ownership of the Edinburgh and Lothians MRC and are currently with me, a club member, for safe keeping.  For photos see: -https://picasaweb.google.com/112904466287746079405/MoreOfPDHancockSCraig#

Malcolm

• Like 3

Chee Tor and Bramblewick are two which really stand out for me - if you even have to ask why, then I have no desire to converse with you at all!

There are plenty of others of course, but these two always impress me!

• Like 2

I am not sure if you are aware but parts of Craig have been uncovered and are now in the ownership of the Edinburgh and Lothians MRC and are currently with me, a club member, for safe keeping.  For photos see: -https://picasaweb.google.com/112904466287746079405/MoreOfPDHancockSCraig#

Malcolm

That's great; I'm pleased that at least some of it has found its way into safe keeping and the photos are an excellent addition to those taken by PDH himself. Am I wrong, or are these the first time that these buildings have been photographed in colour?   

Chee Tor and Bramblewick are two which really stand out for me - if you even have to ask why, then I have no desire to converse with you at all!

There are plenty of others of course, but these two always impress me!

Agree completely and I would also especially mention Penlan.

Malcolm

I knew that some of the NG stock is in the 009 Society's heritage collection but it's good to know that some of his buildings and other has survived even if as fragments. It was the first version of the CMR that I really found inspiring and the original Craig seemed very much inspired by John Ahern's Madderport. PDH's later versions of the CMR never really inspired me in the same way though of course they reflected his own developing interests with greater scope for operation.

It's interesting how many of the early layouts that I found inspiring including the CMR, and Charford came from members of the E&L MRC though PDH seems to have been well under way with Craig when the club was formed in 1951. Do you know when he actually stopped modelling?

That's great; I'm pleased that at least some of it has found its way into safe keeping and the photos are an excellent addition to those taken by PDH himself. Am I wrong, or are these the first time that these buildings have been photographed in colour?   

I knew that some of the NG stock is in the 009 Society's heritage collection but it's good to know that some of his buildings and other has survived even if as fragments. It was the first version of the CMR that I really found inspiring and the original Craig seemed very much inspired by John Ahern's Madderport. PDH's later versions of the CMR never really inspired me in the same way though of course they reflected his own developing interests with greater scope for operation.

It's interesting how many of the early layouts that I found inspiring including the CMR, and Charford came from members of the E&L MRC though PDH seems to have been well under way with Craig when the club was formed in 1951. Do you know when he actually stopped modelling?

MarkSG

There are published colour photographs of Craig in the RM Dec 1979, Apr 1980, Jan and Feb 1993 and in a RM special, Famous Layouts in 1990.  All the RM colour photos were taken by PD himself in 1979 and the originals are now with the E&LMRC.  The photos in my Picassa Gallery are the first time such close up pictures have been available and were taken for to assist the E&LMRC cataloguing its collection.

Pacific231G

PD was influenced by John Ahern however the two men only ever met once or twice during their lifetimes.  PD was modelling almost to the end and had a small railway in his room at the nursing home in his final days.

With regard to the E&LMRC in the 1950's it was indeed a golden age with its founder W Loch Kidston [a founder of the O Gauge Guild and was involved in the early days of Scalefour/P4], PD Hancock [Craig and Mertoford], John Charman [Charford], Ken Northwood [North Devonshire] and the club President, Sir Eric O Hutchison who had been writing in the MRN since its inception in 1925.  There was also a young Don Rowland who is still with us and working in Scalefour. 

Malcolm

• 6 years later...

Whenever I visit Pendon, I'm always drawn to the Dartmoor scene with the impressive moors as a background to the viaduct. The vale scene is incredible for the standard of modelling, but I find the village too 'busy'. It always looks to me as if they've tried to cram as many buildings as possible into the space available. Typical model railway in that respect. The modelling is superb, but to my mind spoilt by the cramming, not at all like the villages it supposedly represents.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I regard scenery (still very much work in slow progress at Cwmdimbath) as part of ‘atmosphere’, along with lighting.  And the best I’ve ever seen is Arun Quay.  Cold, misty damp, and miserable as well as rundown and semi-derelict; ultimately what I am intending for Cwmdim. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I regard scenery (still very much work in slow progress at Cwmdimbath) as part of ‘atmosphere’, along with lighting.  And the best I’ve ever seen is Arun Quay.  Cold, misty damp, and miserable as well as rundown and semi-derelict; ultimately what I am intending for Cwmdim. 

I absolutely agree about Arun Quay and the implied tidal river at low water behind the quay is very cleverly done.  The Gravetts achieved something similar with Pempoul with the scenery dropping behind the track but with the "distant" backscene only a few inches behind that. It's interesting that the effect works far even better when you actually see the layout than it does in photographs.