Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Your favourite scenic layout

Dicky W

• RMweb Premium

It's been seven and a bit years since my previous post and many models must have been built since then. However there's one which in my opinion is streets ahead of the rest as a scenic model and that's this model inspired by the Cockeril steelworks in Seraing Belgium. It's all the more impressive as it's the work of one man. For me it's not just the best of the recent crop of models but possibly the all time greats too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 17/02/2020 at 19:51, Greengiant said:

Chee Tor, Bucks Hill and Pempoul.

If you want to see Pempoul it is on display for a year in Ashford, operated every Saturday and Sunday, I have operated it a few times and clean the stock and track for Gordon in between the times he gets there to run it.

Martin

Hello Martin

Do tell us more. Where in Ashfod and when? I'd love to see it again and Ashford is on the way to France! Pempoul followed by the Baie de Somme, perhaps even with their surviving Reseau Breton loco (E322 a 4-6-0T) at work, would make for an excellent weekend.

21 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Hello Martin

Do tell us more. Where in Ashfod and when? I'd love to see it again and Ashford is on the way to France! Pempoul followed by the Baie de Somme, perhaps even with their surviving Reseau Breton loco (E322 a 4-6-0T) at work, would make for an excellent weekend.

It's at AIMREC: https://aimrec.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

On 25/02/2020 at 13:21, Pacific231G said:

Hello Martin

Underneath the new cinema complex, opposite side of the road to what was once Debenhams.

Open every Saturday and Sunday 10am - 4pm. I shall be there along with Gordon Gravett on Saturday 7th March.

AIMREC
Unit 2, Elwick Place
Elwick Road
Ashford
Kent
TN23 1AE

Martin

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Based on the entirely subjective criteria:

- I can remember seeing it;

- I remember things outside the railway fence-line rather than inside; and,

- it felt like being there,

then I would plump for:

- Chiltern Green;

- a 2mm/ft model of Ashburton that really felt like looking down across a valley;

- Pempoul village street; and,

- Copenhagen Fields.

Which, I think means, 3/4 are 2mm/ft (Chiltern Green is/was, isnt/wasn’t it?)

I’ve seen most of the others mentioned, but these really hit the spot for me.

Never in a million years would I attempt 2mm/ft, and I’m much more interested in operation/playing-trains these days than in creating scenery, but I do hope people continue to bring such delights before us.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2020 at 09:20, Leander said:

Chee Tor by the MMRS, Bramblewick by the late Tom Harland and Barry Norman's Petherick, for my money.

My top 3 also. I would also add Black Lion Crossing as my favourite recent layout. The more you look, the more attention to exquisite detail you see.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Tollesbury Quay is one of my recent favourites, provided they remember to bring the sky. I was talking to the builder at St Evenage the other year and he told me that a visitor on looking at the layout had commented  "that road looks like I could go for a walk down it".  

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/12/2012 at 15:45, Dicky W said:

What makes a layout 'scenic'? Does it have to be as large as Totnes or The Gresley Beat to be considered so?  

For me it's about creating a believable 'scene' that makes for a scenic layout, a case in point I reckon is Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD which captures the scene so well. Looking at this layout every time it transports me to the locality and also the era the layout represents, it's spot on.

all the best,

Keith

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

then I would plump for:

- Chiltern Green;

- a 2mm/ft model of Ashburton that really felt like looking down across a valley;

- Pempoul village street; and,

- Copenhagen Fields.

Which, I think means, 3/4 are 2mm/ft (Chiltern Green is/was, isnt/wasn’t it?)

I’ve seen most of the others mentioned, but these really hit the spot for me.

Never in a million years would I attempt 2mm/ft, and I’m much more interested in operation/playing-trains these days than in creating scenery, but I do hope people continue to bring such delights before us.

I absolutely agree about the street on Pempoul. Which shows, I suppose, that a great piece of scenic setting need not be of Chiltern Green size.

I think I recall the Ashburton you mean (was it the one with a sort of ingenious semi-scenic fiddle yard?), and agree about that too.

Personally I'd set Petherick quite high, was it one of the first to show the Pendon-style railway in setting on an individual scale?

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favourite US HO layouts was the Logansport and Indiana Northern, by American standards it was quite small but the owner had a real eye for detail. It conveyed that rural midwest feel superbly. Sadly the layout is no more as the owner has moved, but he is now building something new and much improved.

IMG_1608(1).JPG

2010421194016_Image132.jpg

dscf0232.jpg

Edited by w124bob
Added info
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, w124bob said:

Here's what you can get when the budget is no object and you have access to a a huge barn, I have little knowledge of German railways real or model but it is stunning.

https://www.vikaschander.com/the-hochschwarzwald-model-railway/

That is Vikas Chander's excellent videography and Joseph Brandl's fantastic model building.

Good innit!?!

• Like 2

I recall a very nice 2mm model in Railway Modeller - Midland terminus in Derbyshire, the station building was very inflluenced by the Midland Buxton, thit the very fancy stone gable.    Photos reatured a very Kirtly looking 044T and 060 tender loco.

Can anyone remember the name of the layout?

On 10/03/2020 at 17:10, MarkSG said:

Wow. That is absolutely fabulous.

On 10/03/2020 at 16:23, w124bob said:

Here's what you can get when the budget is no object and you have access to a a huge barn, I have little knowledge of German railways real or model but it is stunning.

https://www.vikaschander.com/the-hochschwarzwald-model-railway/

The video on that page is well worth watching