class 08 shunter prototype photos

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Great photo, and perfect timing as I have just been looking at the Middleton Press book on the line.  Do you know if that service was usually a duty for an 08?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Alex TM said:

Hi,

Great photo, and perfect timing as I have just been looking at the Middleton Press book on the line.  Do you know if that service was usually a duty for an 08?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex, 

I was fortunate enough back in 1974 to have a 6-7 month spell as a trainee with the York-Malton S&T lineman who covered this area (and what a delight it was too). Regularly did maintenance etc. on that stretch and the Foss Islands branch. Mostly 08s on the Rowntrees traffic, but occasionally a 20 would turn up. 31s and 37s usually worked the Foss Islands branch and I remember the signalman at Burton Lane SB having a cutting out of the local press of a 47 on one of the FI branch workings. I did hear rumours that a 40 also managed to get on the branch at one time. 03s also worked the Rowntrees traffic before the 08s took over on a regular basis. There was also a 2-car DMU service to Rowntrees Halt (in-bound in the morning and out-bound in the late afternoon) for the factory workers. 24s/25s are also likely to have taken a turn at some point - if the famous Kit-Kat advert is anything to go by. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi iands,

Thanks for that.  I've seen photos of a 20 on the Rowantrees traffic, as well as 101s (?) on the works train.  IIRC one of my books has a photo of a 150 on the last passenger service.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Hi iands,

Thanks for that.  I've seen photos of a 20 on the Rowantrees traffic, as well as 101s (?) on the works train.  IIRC one of my books has a photo of a 150 on the last passenger service.

Regards,

Alex.

The DMUs on the works trains were quite often Cravens units - drafty and very rattley things, used to catch the service (from Doncaster) at Selby on a morning to get to York for 7:30 (earliest bus at the time didn't get to York soon enough). About half a dozen passengers stayed the train to go to Rowntrees. Always amazed me that about another half dozen or so passengers caught the train at York for something like a 5 minute journey. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ray M said:

Can any one give me a number for this 1 please

At Midland road, Jan 2017

It's one of the later builds (08705 onwards) it looks like one of the Knorr-Bremse colours.

See http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Glasgow+Works

The two Shunters at Knorr-Bremse Wolverton Works were 08629 & 08649 which were of the earlier build. So most likely 08730 is the one in your photograph.

Edited by Pannier Tank
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi,

What a fantastic photo.  Where was it taken?

Thanks,

Alex.

It's Scunthorpe Steelworks (from my office window) in the last really bad winter (2012 ish).

After BR closed the hump yard at Scunthorpe, Frodingham depot closed shortly afterwards with locos transferred to Immingham. There was still a need for an 08 at Scunthorpe for the steel trains, but rather than a long slow journey to Immingham for routine maintenance, an arrangement was made for the steelworks to do this. Here 782 is being propelled by 93 (a Yorkshire Engine Co, "Janus") towards the workshops. As 93 was remotely controlled, the driver is in 782.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...