class 08 shunter prototype photos

12 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

08710 - Swindon Works 1984 by Martyn Hilbert

08710 - Swindon Works.

I love this shot, but having just spent several days repainting rooms in the house, I feel genuinely stressful about the stepladder scratching that lovely new paint on the side of the loco ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2021 at 21:01, Nearholmer said:

Having long ago ceased to buy a new “combined volume” every year, I have no idea how many 08/09 are still active on the national network. Can anyone elucidate?

Depends which list you look at.

There's about 90 listed as "Active or general use mainline operational" at wnxx.com

But that doesn't differentiate between active preserved/active industrial/actually allowed outside of depots onto the mainline

And there are quite a few others listed as preserved/under repair/restoration/industrial user/stored.

Probably looking at 170 or so still in existence in one form or another.

• RMweb Premium
On 12/08/2021 at 20:14, Hippel said:

Hi, I don't know how to show a link to a You Tube video but if you search on YouTube for Lawrie's Mechanical Marvels 08785, you should be able to find a video of 08785 in G&W orange.

Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGEbiD7c4vs This video?

On the mainline hauling a dead 66 from Felixstowe to Ipswich depot.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2021 at 20:04, montyburns56 said:

D3740 Craigentinny 1959

Trslid072f D3740 on Departmental train 300959

:offtopic: Does anyone know the identity of the marvellous coach directly behind the 08? It's obviously some sort of special saloon, looks to have open balconies at the ends too. 

1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

:offtopic: Does anyone know the identity of the marvellous coach directly behind the 08? It's obviously some sort of special saloon, looks to have open balconies at the ends too. 

MS&LR I think. It was to be preserved but was scrapped after a shunting accident in 1968

• Like 1