class 08 shunter prototype photos

Eugh!

I’m in a livery-sensitive mood today, and the Dutch do yellow far better. Lots of Groenks here https://www.spoorforum.nl/spoorforum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7568

This one was clearly the result of a visit to an Amsterdam hash cafe!

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/ns-class-600-diesel-shunting-locomotive-gm475610642-66086421

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2021 at 20:27, Flittersnoop said:

Found an envelope of my prints from the late 1980s. I think this is Bromford Bridge, at the eastern end of Washwood Heath yard. The loco is 08 89?...  No idea what date, I'm afraid.

08bromford.jpg

08893. Probably 1988/89 ish.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

08887 Tanhouse Lane Yard 1980

Widnes Tanhouse Lane Yard - 3 March 1980

Probably one of the Ditton yard shunters....when I was at garston depot in 90s there where 3 or 4 drivers and shunters semi permanent allocated to 'The Ditton shunt depot. Thay covered Ditton sleeper yard the BOC plant and tanhouse Lane cement depot.....we covered the depot for sickness and jollys, had a couple of trips to taphouse Lane and BOC ditton but never the sleeper creosote yard at Ditton....(next to up main line look small but was quite a size once in)but the Ditton drivers always had the 08 brass starting leaver hidden in the smelly messroom somewhere...after been unable to start 08 due to no key you soon learnt to take a spare 'spoon' (key)

Tanhouse was not the nicest of areas with all the chemical factorys in the area.....the signal box was supplied with a respirator if the weedkiller factory spillage alarm went off....Nice! 

Do wish I took pictures at work would of been informative 

• Like 9

23 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Probably one of the Ditton yard shunters....when I was at garston depot in 90s there where 3 or 4 drivers and shunters semi permanent allocated to 'The Ditton shunt depot. Thay covered Ditton sleeper yard the BOC plant and tanhouse Lane cement depot.....we covered the depot for sickness and jollys, had a couple of trips to taphouse Lane and BOC ditton but never the sleeper creosote yard at Ditton....(next to up main line look small but was quite a size once in)but the Ditton drivers always had the 08 brass starting leaver hidden in the smelly messroom somewhere...after been unable to start 08 due to no key you soon learnt to take a spare 'spoon' (key)

Tanhouse was not the nicest of areas with all the chemical factorys in the area.....the signal box was supplied with a respirator if the weedkiller factory spillage alarm went off....Nice! 

I visited the site a few years ago and I looked around the sidings of the former ICI Pilkington Works which I'm guessing was one source of the wiffy chemicals.

On 09/09/2021 at 19:51, bradfordbuffer said:

I agree, I could never be bothered at the time, even after mobile phones I only took a few. I would love to have a few photos as reminders now, especially as a lot of the places we used to go no longer even exist!

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I visited the site a few years ago and I looked around the sidings of the former ICI Pilkington Works which I'm guessing was one source of the wiffy chemicals.

Legend has it no one in widnes gets a cold!....funny enough there where two old hand widnes drivers at garston with the biggest red bull noses you have seen in your life...always wondered but never had the balls to ask! But red nose was probably to do with the amount of ale they could sink...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Never seen one with a skirt! Why? How long fitted? What locos?

And a diligent driver.....folded back red lense on marker light for 'running' not shunting...!

For those going through the carriage washer on a regular basis, specifically Oxley's. See also:

More on Bescot skirt-fitted 08s here a good way down the page:

http://bescotplus.co.uk/shunterhistory

Simon

Edited by 65179
Additional link
  • Informative/Useful 1