class 08 shunter prototype photos

It does look black but if you look at the Boxes on the running plate you can see a hint of blue.

Sorry about my misunderstanding here, 08658 was standard rail blue, my photography and scanning have rendered it a bit dark.

I took the reference to black to be about the buffer beam area, I looked through my other pictures from that time and they were mostly yellow,

so, I thought it was quite unusual.

cheers

Can anyone tell me how many 08's there are left opperational now?

Wasn't it like 800 or so at one time?

There's a discussion on shunters nowadays on the forum here, including (my) estimates of how many - somewhere between 100-200 depending on exactly what you're counting.

• RMweb Premium

There's a discussion on shunters nowadays on the forum here, including (my) estimates of how many - somewhere between 100-200 depending on exactly what you're counting.

Good grief, not many then. Thanks for the pointer.

• RMweb Gold

Think this pic first appeared on Railchat a couple of years back.

the episode in question....

attachicon.gifscan0001.jpg

Try doing that at an exhibition....

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike. That was the one. Stacker had quite a reputation in the Birmingham area. He went ballistic on the day Saltley coal stage was demolished. Before the dust had properly settled one of the other drivers had chalked "Stacker Strikes Again" on the debris.

Quite a few posts back, The two 08s at Tyseley by Mike H, 601 in LMS black and 604 in BR(W) green, the chap in the cab of 601, was the person responsible for painting them.......me!

Cant believe its so many years ago!

Cheers

R

Quite a few posts back, The two 08s at Tyseley by Mike H, 601 in LMS black and 604 in BR(W) green, the chap in the cab of 601, was the person responsible for painting them.......me!

Cant believe its so many years ago!

Cheers

R

Thought you might like those...

How about this one? - day before the open day - October 1987

post-891-0-59020000-1358461456_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikeh
  • Like 5

Mike,

that certinally brings back some memories, the booked shed driver and I did all of the shunting for the open day, and I remember putting the last of the locos into place about 10 minutes before we opened to the public on the Sunday morning, we started shunting on Saturday afternoon!

What a great day we had on the Sunday, well worth all of the effort by all of my colleagues at Tyseley TMD.....now jus a fond memory....

R

Mike,

that certinally brings back some memories, the booked shed driver and I did all of the shunting for the open day, and I remember putting the last of the locos into place about 10 minutes before we opened to the public on the Sunday morning, we started shunting on Saturday afternoon!

What a great day we had on the Sunday, well worth all of the effort by all of my colleagues at Tyseley TMD.....now jus a fond memory....

R

Yes was a brilliant day. I got roped into minding the 27 for the day!

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Think this pic first appeared on Railchat a couple of years back.

the episode in question....

attachicon.gifscan0001.jpg

Try doing that at an exhibition....

Regards

Mike

Remember this well, we used to stand near the bottom of this bank to watch the steam locos at Stewarts and Lloyds still working at this time, and there was also a line up of, I think three, Teady Bears in the sidings on the opposite side of the main line to the 'Rack and Pinnion' 08!

Here's an Antipodean take on the 08.

We imported them to Victoria, painted them blue and gold and called them F class. Sorry about the poor photo but the preservation center was closed and I took the photo through the gate.

post-7894-0-37387500-1363072562_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...