wakefield model and craft centre

ben2013

Was in there a few weeks ago and came away wondering what was happening, wanted some SMP track but they had none and like you say shelves were a little empty. Shame if they are closing down been going there for years, always found them very helpful and had a good bit of banter with Michael.

Was in there a few weeks ago and came away wondering what was happening, wanted some SMP track but they had none and like you say shelves were a little empty. Shame if they are closing down been going there for years, always found them very helpful and had a good bit of banter with Michael.

Great shop,

I well remember my first visit in 1978 & how well laid out everything was, very helpful staff . My wife ordered a Lilliput Silver Link for my birthday which they got for us, we dealt with Michael Parkinson who is a true gent, I understand he has been there all his working life. We used to go to the Wakefield model show with a group from our local club & would always go to the shop for a look & buy.

Ian H 

I called in the Friday of Wakefield show and thought the shelves were a bit bare! There was little of the typical scale items the shop always catered for in years gone by, Walthers kits were one thing I usually bought there but there were none at all in stock. The sales assistant said they were struggling to get stock from both Hornby and Bachmann, hence a lot of empty cabinets but there was some stock of recent releases so they were evidently getting something new coming in. I did manage to spend a few pounds on some very reasonably priced S/H bits and bobs

It would be a shame always been nice to go there it was the first model shop I went to as a junior dreaming of owning one of there petrol helicopters but unfortunately they were a bit pricey for a 8 year old .hope they get sorted soon

As I was in the area over Christmas, I called in on Thursday. My Mum said she had read somewhere that the shop was due to close soon, and the bare look of the place seemed to bear testament to that. It just had that closing down air to the place although Michael was as chipper as ever!

I do hope this is not the case as the shop is a West Yorkshire institution.

Andy.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago and Michael explained they had sold lots of stock during the run up to Christmas and they had not been able to re - stock quickly, due to it being so close to the festive season.

I thought it was all very odd and rather worrying, so, when I got home, I had a quick search on here, to see if anyone else had noticed so many bare shelves.

Personally, I hope they are ok, but I do know that many modellers in the catchment area for the shop, are really struggling to make ends meet on a day to day basis, let alone having disposable income for model railways, etc ! The current economic crisis has hit many local people very hard indeed.

Not having any facts, I don't want to speculate either way, but I do hope they are ok. They were quite an expensive, but very well stocked shop when I started going there thirty years ago. However, in recent years, their pricing has been more reasonable and I hope they can continue into and beyond the new year. 

I was inthe shop a few months back, the shelves were low of Bachmann rolling stock, I asked Michael was what up why such low stocks, his reply at the time was that with none of the new products available that most modellers were awaiting and only stocks which Bachmann were struggling to move, they did not want to tie anymore money up in stock which was very slow moving, they had changed their stocking policy and were only going to stock what they can sell, especially with current climates.

I went in a few weeks before christmas and a lot of the cupboards were bare or very run down, even knowing what I had been told previous it was still very un-nerving.

This is not a modelshop in the box shifting sense, this is more a modellers mecca, the drawers behind the counter are a wealth of detailing bits, it would be a massive loss to our world if it closed it doors but hopefully by some shrewd business sense it will be here for a lot longer.

cheers,

Richard.

• RMweb Premium

That's a pity when my Dad first took me there it was like walking into Aladins cave and then going upstairs to the trains well I could get lost for hours staring at strange black and red locos from overseas. I feel sorry for the staff.

Extremely sad news but a symptom of our times unfortunately. Trade and Industry in general, and retailing, in particular is undergoing a severe battering and it's a sign of the depth of this recession that many businesses like WMCC have survived bad times in the past only to succumb this time round. 

My thoughts are with the staff there, not often I had the opportunity to visit but I've fond memories of their stand at York show over many years and I always found them extremely helpful. I wish them all the best for the future.

Extremely sad news but a symptom of our times unfortunately. Trade and Industry in general, and retailing, in particular is undergoing a severe battering and it's a sign of the depth of this recession that many businesses like WMCC have survived bad times in the past only to succumb this time round. 

My thoughts are with the staff there, not often I had the opportunity to visit but I've fond memories of their stand at York show over many years and I always found them extremely helpful. I wish them all the best for the future.

Think there will be a few more this year if we dont stop ordering the NEW rtr items of the internet big boys!

Think there will be a few more this year if we dont stop ordering the NEW rtr items of the internet big boys!

I don't think that its the internet big boys fault, if they are successful in business trading on line at great prices for the customer then Surely that is the future in buying, and Wakefield model and craft could have had a better web site, and maybe better prices for the customer.

If I am buying a model loco or coach and its cheaper at for example Cheltenham model Centre than Frizinghall for example I would Buy from Cheltenham, its the same item that I am buying no different except for the price and where bought from.

I shop online and have items delivered to my door from the likes of Argos, Asda hattons, Damn site easier to go on the computer and order from Hattons or who ever than to catch the bus or drive to a shop in Wakefield, and cheaper even with the postage added on.

Being loyal to one shop is a lot less in today's internet world than it was years ago in my opinion

SGJ

To witness these great shops closing is always a sad experience, but like the majority of people today I also have to put my hands up and admit I purchase a lot on the web, which is sadly helping to kill off small businesses today! 

• RMweb Premium

not many people on the web sell the "bits" that Wakefield do/use to - having been away from the area for 4 years I haven't visited that regularly - never bought that much RTR from them but lots of kits and bits over the years.

Absolutely gutted by this, I first went as a 12 year old with my mum (on the bus I think). I remember being specifcally after a new (at the time) scale-length mk3 Virgin buffet car, which they didn't have the chap behind the counter joked with my mum that it would have to run without catering facilities, a bit like Virgin's real life service which was 'troubled' at that time pre-Voyager/Pendolino!

I've since been back after getting into the hobby last year, as it's perfect for me working in Doncaster area and travelling to Leeds for football every Monday I often popped in on the way and had a browse and picked up odd bits like styrene and scenic things. As people have touched upon, they aren't really competitive for RTR locos which is understandable as it's a big premisies and online retailers don't always have those overheads. Mind you, hattons and rails seem to be better on price whilst maintaining a bricks and mortor shop so who knows, I don't know what margins there are in RTR stuff but I do wish my local shop in York could offer stuff at hattons price + postage as I would much rather support a local business but can't justify paying an extra 10-20% on new stuff and probably closer to 35% on things that are starting to get discounted at the end of the production run.

The guy in the upstairs part, I think is still the same guy who dealt with us those years ago. I'm glad I went back before it closed and will be going back again before it goes, but it's a shame it's come to this at all. Modern times I guess.

Absolutely gutted by this, I first went as a 12 year old with my mum (on the bus I think). I remember being specifcally after a new (at the time) scale-length mk3 Virgin buffet car, which they didn't have the chap behind the counter joked with my mum that it would have to run without catering facilities, a bit like Virgin's real life service which was 'troubled' at that time pre-Voyager/Pendolino!

I've since been back after getting into the hobby last year, as it's perfect for me working in Doncaster area and travelling to Leeds for football every Monday I often popped in on the way and had a browse and picked up odd bits like styrene and scenic things. As people have touched upon, they aren't really competitive for RTR locos which is understandable as it's a big premisies and online retailers don't always have those overheads. Mind you, hattons and rails seem to be better on price whilst maintaining a bricks and mortor shop so who knows, I don't know what margins there are in RTR stuff but I do wish my local shop in York could offer stuff at hattons price + postage as I would much rather support a local business but can't justify paying an extra 10-20% on new stuff and probably closer to 35% on things that are starting to get discounted at the end of the production run.

The guy in the upstairs part, I think is still the same guy who dealt with us those years ago. I'm glad I went back before it closed and will be going back again before it goes, but it's a shame it's come to this at all. Modern times I guess.

The model shop in York do discount RTR locomotives which often work out about the same price as Hattons if you include the postage cost. Plus they take them out of the box for you to inspect, they also test them.

I was in there the other day and it was a shock to see the big gaps on the shelves.  On the web site there is a comment to say Closing Down Sale now on.  Many traders are getting older and can't see any value in trying to sell up and are just clearing the stock.

I used to think they were expensive but have compared a couple of items at random with Going Loco and Frizinghall and there is just a few pence in it.  Many of the current RTR was on the shelves at current prices.

I'm sure that Jamie and Wakefield MRC club members will have the gen on why it is closing.  If it had been money they would have shut before now, I think it's a retirement.

Have been and spent in the shop for over 30 years.  When I worked in Ossett it was often a lunchtime port of call.

I was in there the other day and it was a shock to see the big gaps on the shelves.  On the web site there is a comment to say Closing Down Sale now on.  Many traders are getting older and can't see any value in trying to sell up and are just clearing the stock.

I used to think they were expensive but have compared a couple of items at random with Going Loco and Frizinghall and there is just a few pence in it.  Many of the current RTR was on the shelves at current prices.

I'm sure that Jamie and Wakefield MRC club members will have the gen on why it is closing.  If it had been money they would have shut before now, I think it's a retirement.

Have been and spent in the shop for over 30 years.  When I worked in Ossett it was often a lunchtime port of call.

RIP for Stewart & his Team.

Lets support Frizinghall as we are running out of shops in West Yorkshire!

The model shop in York do discount RTR locomotives which often work out about the same price as Hattons if you include the postage cost. Plus they take them out of the box for you to inspect, they also test them.

I don't think that its the internet big boys fault, if they are successful in business trading on line at great prices for the customer then Surely that is the future in buying, and Wakefield model and craft could have had a better web site, and maybe better prices for the customer.

If I am buying a model loco or coach and its cheaper at for example Cheltenham model Centre than Frizinghall for example I would Buy from Cheltenham, its the same item that I am buying no different except for the price and where bought from.

I shop online and have items delivered to my door from the likes of Argos, Asda hattons, Damn site easier to go on the computer and order from Hattons or who ever than to catch the bus or drive to a shop in Wakefield, and cheaper even with the postage added on.

Being loyal to one shop is a lot less in today's internet world than it was years ago in my opinion

SGJ

To witness these great shops closing is always a sad experience, but like the majority of people today I also have to put my hands up and admit I purchase a lot on the web, which is sadly helping to kill off small businesses today! 

All valid comments and symptomatic of the current outlook for retailers. I won't knock the "box shifters", they do a fine job and I use them myself from time to time but I do value the experience of being able to go into a shop and see and test a loco, item of rolling stock or whatever it may be, thus making up my own mind on whether it's for me. There are shops out there, some large, some not so large who offer RTR at prices which are pretty damn close to Hattons et al,and there's probably one within reasonable distance of many of us.

I use one which isn't local to where I live but is close to areas I visit for work, their prices are in the same ballpark as the cheapest mail order shops, cheaper on some things, and I get to take a good look at what I'm buying. The added bonus is they also stock the thousand and one things which are almost impossible to find anywhere else apart from shows, probably why I like it. They don't have a website either, proving that the web isn't necessarily right for every business.

The moral in all of this is the basic rules of retailing, know your market and keep on top of what your customers want, keep overheads to a minimum, offer a good service and above all, make sure you're offering real value for money. These apply regardless of where you are - in the High St or on the web - or what you sell but if you do these better than you're competition, you'll come out on top.

• RMweb Premium

RIP for Stewart & his Team.

Lets support Frizinghall as we are running out of shops in West Yorkshire!

Don't forget Millenium Models in Morely and 2K Technologies in Hipperholme.

How many of us go to our local shop and ask if they can price match (or at least get close to) the likes of Hattons, Cheltenham etc.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived