A basic question about coaching stock

mikepaling

Hi ...

Maybe some might think that this is a pathetic question to ask .... but ........ I have spent most of my Christmas break trying to sort this out by looking through all of my railway books and trolling the internet!!!

It is driving me mad :-((( I can't find anything that will explain the difference :-(((

Can some kind person please explain to me the difference between a "Corridor Coach" ... and a "Gangwayed Coach".

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

Regards Mike

Corridor - compartments with a side corridor along the length of the coach

Gangwayed - doors in the ends (normally called corridor conenections!)

Thanks for getting back to me .....

So are you saying that a "Gangwayed Coach" has a corridor along the length of the side ... but has doors at each end of the corridor?

A "Corridor Coach" is identical to this apart from not having doors at each end?

Does any of this make a difference externally?

It is all down to names really. The LMS referred to coaches with compartments leading from side corridors as corridor coaches. The LNER referred to them as gangwayed coaches. The LNER system does not take into consideration open coaches ie : those with a fully open seating arrangement on either side of a centre isle. The term non-corridor coach doesn't always help either.

Think of the gangway as something people pass through from one coach to another....ie: the external flexible gangway on the end of a coach. One can have corridor coaches that were not gangwayed to adjacent coaches.  At its very simplest there were corridor coaches, open coaches and suburbans.

Archived