Do all train sets have to be tailchasers?

traction

Tail chaser or end-to-end for children?

Mine seem to like to have both in one layout. The tail chaser bit for zooming round, and a long, straggly bit for "going to the seaside". They are much more interested in loading freight on/off, and sending passengers on holiday than they are in the trains themselves.

This has been a steady theme, from Brio onwards, and it doesn't matter if the straggly bit crosses over/under the circuit, or just straggles, it must come to an end, which is then deemed to be the destination.

We built a layout on the lawn on Sunday, with 30+ year old Playmobil trains, and that followed "the model".

The "joker in the pack" is my nephew, who is the sort of small boy who likes to stage crashes, explosions, gruesome "one unders" etc - he would probably enjoy Triang Battle Space, or its Lionel forebear!

Below is four and a half year old daughter, nipping-up rail joiners, which we had to do to get continuity - I only showed her once, and she was away!

Kevin

post-26817-0-86587300-1470155120_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 30/12/2012 at 07:08, traction said:

This could be almost a modular layout as I have left the tunnel open apart from a sliding door so it could easily be extended as shown below

post-6745-0-50576900-1356809645.jpg

Thats sliding door is a cool idea! I've has numerous modular layouts, but only ever had a piece of ply screwed into the frame under the tunnel to stop trains exiting the last module. A sliding door such as yours is much easier to use!

• Like 1