Topp trains model shop Stafford

• RMweb Gold

I think this may have been posted elsewhere on the site as a status, but here goes!

I paid a visit to this new shop at 28 Marston Road, Stafford today after seeing it advertised on the Stafford Railway Circle website: http://www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk/dynamic1.php?NewsID=1096  They advertise a website www.topptrains.co.uk but this appears to be a holding page at the moment.

There was lots of N gauge and OO gauge gear in there.  They appear to be stocking Bachmann, Dapol, and Hornby. They don't have any PECO at the moment, but are expecting to do so soon.

I had a nice browse in there as SWMBO helped demolish a tin of quality street that was on the counter!  I bought an N gauge Kestrel Designs Country Station kit and a Dapol wagon.

I wish them well as Stafford hasn't had a proper model shop since Bagnall's expired and the chap on the market moved away towards Nantwich.

• RMweb Gold

The news story on Stafford Railway Circle appears to be gone now.  I'll post the contact details for Topp Trains in case anyone fancies a trip, as they appear to be hiding their light under a bushel:

Topp Trains, 28, Marston Road, Stafford, ST16 3BS.  01785 247883.

Plenty of free parking nearby, although they are in the middle of a one-way system that might confuse SatNavs.

No connection, just a customer keen to see them do well.

I wish them well as Stafford hasn't had a proper model shop since Bagnall's expired and the chap on the market moved away towards Nantwich.

We lived near Stafford for 37 years until 2011 and knew Bagnall's well. On a couple of occasions in the early 80's I organised Christmas Fairs at my home for a charity (BLISS). John Bagnall was most helpful in allowing me to have toys to sell at these events and he let me keep what would have been his profit. I believe he went on to run a Christian book shop in the town.

• Like 2

I paid a visit between Christmas and New Year as I was in the area. Topp Trains definitely has the potential to be a shop that stocks all those useful bits you can only ever find at exhibitions or after hours of internet searching. I understand they're going to be doing mail order too which will be handy. Even easierr when the website is up and running.

It's great to see Stafford with a proper model shop again. Although I haven't lived in Stafford for over thirty years, I have fond memories of spending many hours in Bagnall's, made even better when Stafford Railway Circle held their annual exhbition over the road in the Borough Hall.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

pulled off J14 the M6 earlier to look for a petrol station that did lpg, anyway someone gave me directions to one (which i couldn't find) and as it happened looking at google maps it appears i drove past the front of the shop trying to find my way back to the A34, now i know where it is and how easy it it to reach from the M6 i'll make a point of calling in the next time i have to drive in to work

• Like 2

I popped in to the shop yesterday for the first time since the official opening and I was genuinely impressed by the selection of bits including some laser-cut products I hadn't seen before and it was nice to be able to pick up some South Eastern Finecast sheeting (I don't think anyone around here has ever stocked anything other than Slaters). I know there's a good bit more stock inbound and it was a relief to see card payment facilities up and running as I was relieved of a few quid.

Now the post office has shut on Marston Road there's definitely more parking available and as others have noticed it is literally less than 5 minutes off the M6 at Junction 14.

http://goo.gl/maps/fgJ6a

topptrains@gmail.com

01785 247883

28 Marston Road,

Stafford

ST16 3BS

ToppTrains.jpg

• Like 3

I must also mention that the shop purveys a range of artistic greetings cards on a railway theme by a certain multi-talented RMweb member (Old Gringo).

http://www.thehareandmoonpress.co.uk/railway_christmas_cards.php

http://www.thehareandmoonpress.co.uk/railway_everyday_cards.php

http://www.thehareandmoonpress.co.uk/limited_edition_prints.php

• Like 1

I think this may have been posted elsewhere on the site as a status, but here goes!

that was me i think ,but yes a great model shop ,they were very supportive of my dads condition,that being he has to tell every one his modelling life story ,first time i have every been offered a cup of tea in a model shop before . the life story being how he worked in bagnalls for over 12 years . but i warn you topp trains ,we will be back . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike Topping of Topp Trains Marston Rd Stafford ST16 3BS has just informed me that they are having a sale for the next three days (Shop Open Sun 10:00 - 14:00 Mon/Tue 10:00:16:00)

Eltel

• Like 1

You couldn't, ever, find a more helpful model railway speciialist shop. No, they can't always compete in price with the big mail order boys like Hattons, but personal service and its presence in my home town, thus needing no postage charges, more than make up for this. Come on, website!

• 10 months later...

It's Mike and Steve's 1st birthday tomorrow so now they're managing to stand on two legs they're having a birthday do tomorrow to which all customers are invited.

Customers have been promised*

A cuppa

Some special offers

A guess how many grains of ballast are in the jar competition

A slice of a lavish birthday cake

Lap dancing

The latest releases from manufacturers

A lucky dip in the sweet tin

*Not all of the above may be necessarily true and may be a result of a hazy recollection of a conversation some weeks ago.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just to add - in agreement to what everyone else has said here - this is a truly great shop, and well-deserving of your custom if you're passing through Stafford.

It's not the same shop that used to be located on the Marston Road (older Staffordians might remember this) but in terms of service, stock and helpfulness is one of the best I've been to for a long time.

Mike's been a great help in re-kickstarting my Dad's railway, and the old-school friendliness of the place (offering you a hot drink when you get in) is amazing! 

In short, thoroughly recommended!!

• 7 months later...

Called in today for my twice-monthly fix and Mike had had a customer in who'd been told the shop was closing; that's categorically not the case and all is well.

They've even upgraded the courtesy toffees to a tin of Quality Street for the festive season.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Called in today for my twice-monthly fix and Mike had had a customer in who'd been told the shop was closing; that's categorically not the case and all is well.

They've even upgraded the courtesy toffees to a tin of Quality Street for the festive season.

You are easily bought Andy!

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been in today lots of goodies, including a large collection of quality secondhand 00 stock.

And Mikes filled up the sweet tin.

Terry.

Sweet tin was looking the worse for ware at lunchtime today.!!

I knew just how to put a smile on my face though, and it wasn't eating sweets.