Electric Locos 20001 -20003

slilley

On 12/08/2021 at 19:52, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone recognise the location?

20002 by Geoff Dowling

20002 on freight

Looks Like 20001 to me as the top marker light is lower. On 20002 it was level with the top of the windscreens.

Sorry to be a bit of a nerd but when you have looked at as many pictures of these as I have!!

Simon

Edited by slilley
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The nearer of the two visible painted numbers has the final figure obscured by the cab door handrail, but the final figure of the far one certainly seems to be a "2" and not a "1". Which rather begs the question of whether the marker light positions were the same on each end of the two locos. There is a Dick Riley photo of the up Newhaven boat train at Cooksbridge in 1954 which shows the lower marker light position on what is claimed to be 20002; although the painted number isn't visible, I knew Dick Riley and his photographic records were normally impeccable, he would have known which loco was booked for the train and they were used so intensively that swapping them over at short notice wasn't possible.

On 12/08/2021 at 19:52, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone recognise the location?

20002 by Geoff Dowling

20002 on freight

Was it normal practice to drive these locos with noses pressed up against the windscreens? Looks slightly bizarre! :)

Perhaps the lack of side windows had something to do with it......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Was it normal practice to drive these locos with noses pressed up against the windscreens? Looks slightly bizarre! :)

Perhaps the lack of side windows had something to do with it......

I think the tiny cab maybe something to do with it 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 22/11/2021 at 21:11, bécasse said:

The nearer of the two visible painted numbers has the final figure obscured by the cab door handrail, but the final figure of the far one certainly seems to be a "2" and not a "1". Which rather begs the question of whether the marker light positions were the same on each end of the two locos. There is a Dick Riley photo of the up Newhaven boat train at Cooksbridge in 1954 which shows the lower marker light position on what is claimed to be 20002; although the painted number isn't visible, I knew Dick Riley and his photographic records were normally impeccable, he would have known which loco was booked for the train and they were used so intensively that swapping them over at short notice wasn't possible.

The marker lights on CC2 were in the same place both ends. CC1 was originally fitted with a stencil headcode, but this was quickly abandoned and the marker lights fitted, the top one within the remnants of the stencil frame. Gradually over time traces of the stencil frame went but until roller blinds were installed in the mid 1960s the top light on CC1 was lower than on CC2.

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2021 at 12:21, Lee-H said:

What shade of green was 20003 when it first appeared in 1948? Would it have been Southern malachite or had BR developed a darker shade by then?

Southern green with yellow lining and BRITISH RAILWAYS on the bodysides. The wholelivery issue for the trio is discussed in detail in my book on them 

http://www.crecy.co.uk/southern-way-special-issue-no-11

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...