D.R.A.G. - The end of Test Track 1

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Last night saw the final trains run on TT1, the first test track built by D.R.A.G. (Devon Riviera Area Group of the S4 Society). Good progress is being made on TT2, which has been documented elsewhere in blog format, but on-going concerns on the part of the District PW and Structures Engineers have led to the final closure of the TT1 circuit.

Here is the general arrangement in Holcombe Village Hall last night, with TT2 partially set up in the remaining available space at the back of the hall, so that Re6/6 and I could lay a couple of metres of P4 track on the inner curve, before indulging in some 'Stollen' Christmas cake!

post-57-12621022829106_thumb.jpg

Here we see progress being made on track laying on TT2, with a nice selection of weights to hold the track down, as the PW gang had a tea and Stollen break:

post-57-12621023267441_thumb.jpg

The last pick-up goods was run and once the final timetabled DMU services had completed their runs, it was time for the brake van special organised by the local branch of the Devon & Kernow Gricethusiasts Circle. The requested motive power was a double-headed arrangement, consisting of 'Kestrel' and 'Falcon', but in the event all they got was a pair of Class 25s!

post-57-12621024104769_thumb.jpg

post-57-12621024242525_thumb.jpg

post-57-12621024399225_thumb.jpg

Once the brake van special had receded into the distance and cleared the section, the local Area Manager arranged for an 08 and a brake van to run along the line, calling at intermediate stations to collect redundant furniture etc.:

post-57-12621028259503_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, here are a few photos showing the current status of TT2:

post-57-12621025451336_thumb.jpg

post-57-12621025580819_thumb.jpg

post-57-12621025694328_thumb.jpg

post-57-12621025837157_thumb.jpg

post-57-12621026075566_thumb.jpg

post-57-12621026216514_thumb.jpg

More information on D.R.A.G. and our on-going mission to explore our vast new test track and find new life forms to run on it can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/26/entry-2076-the-end-for-tt1/

I take it with the end of TT1 that TT2 is almost ready for running? Will try to make it down again once it is.....

Not exactly Rich, more to do with getting hold of the trailer that is currently configured for TT1 so that TT2 can use it. The absence does provide an incentive though!

(All meetings will now be at Holcombe btw).

• RMweb Gold

(All meetings will now be at Holcombe btw).

Now that certainly makes things a lot easier for me given that for the time being at least I will be driving from there back up to bucks (and hence leaving early). The car parking at Holcombe makes leaving early a lot easier!

I assume its still 2nd and 4th mondays of the month?

• RMweb Premium

The crew of the lead 25 must have really porked out on the stollen to get the cab handrails to bend as far as they have. Possibly good for adhesion but pity the poor traction motors that were already a bit fragile on the 25s.

• RMweb Gold

The crew of the lead 25 must have really porked out on the stollen to get the cab handrails to bend as far as they have. Possibly good for adhesion but pity the poor traction motors that were already a bit fragile on the 25s.

Indeed. It was Driver Jock 'Tubby' McLard who stumbled accidentally against them after returning from an exceptionally heavy session in The Frightened Ferret, prior to working the 2235 Manchester Victoria to Blubberhouses empty vans..... :O ;)

He's been reported to the Assistant Deputy Depot Under-Superintendant... :lol:

Archived