Class 27's reluctant metamorphosis into blue

'CHARD

I was asked a question over the festive period that stumped me a bit, I'll come clean with you, dear reader.

Nothing surprising there, but this is a subject reasonably close to my modelling interests and I felt I should've been better prepared.

What were the first Class 27s into standard blue, and when?  I flicked through my 1968 Combine expecting to see the usual caption suffixed "(in blue livery)" for one, but no.  

I've a vested interest in that a handful worked over the Waverley in its final season, but for the wider readership of this forum, can we pinpoint the earliest, and was there then a long gap before widespread application by Eastfield, main works; or is it indeed true that none left the LMR in blue?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6262972159/in/set-72157627936919488

Edited by 'CHARD

Good spot Neil, it's clear from BV's pics that 5373 and 5374 received BFYE whilst still on the Midland.  As they're without D-prefix, they'll be Q4/68 repaints earliest.

Edited by 'CHARD

Guest 40-something

attachicon.gif5389 Dundee July 70 Slide 1323.jpgattachicon.gif5397 Glasgow Queen Street July 70 Slide 1324.jpg

There were another couple, D5389 in BSYP which was outshopped at the same time as D7660/1 and 5397. D5389 later lost its D prefix before leaving for Scotland. Images attached, although both photographed in Scotland soon after arrival.

Here's my version of 5389....

http://www.rockvillagoods.co.uk/uploads/1/2/3/0/12308250/4035_orig.jpg?0

I started this before Heljan announced it!  Not the best photo, makes the loco look too brown for some reason (lighting I guess!)  Also shows the areas that need topped up...

Edited by 40-something
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

notice in brushveteran's pic of 5397 that it has yellow window rubbers - would these have been painted or were they actually yellow?

don't suppose they'd go to the effort of changing them specially?

• 1 year later...

Thanks 'Chard, have a look through his Flickr site (if you have a spare day or so!), lots of photos of class 50s north of Glasgow (well, 3 or 4 anyway...) plus loads of other cracking shots.

Paul

Will do mate.  I suggest you check what's happening on THIS thread over here.... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55177-carlise-allocated-derby-lightweight-liveries/&do=findComment&comment=1370754

• 5 months later...

Sorry Russell.

I should have inserted a comma after D7660/1.

What I was trying to imply was that 5397 was a Derby repaint, the yellow window rubbers giving this away. 5373 and 5374 were treated in much the same way.

I've no idea when 5397 was outshopped from Derby.

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

5389 Dundee 1970 by Grahame Wareham

5389 Dundee August 70 Slide 1323

Ummm, as posted in the fourth post in this thread, Jan 1st, 2013...?? ;) :mosking:

It's a shocking indictment of the state locos were allowed to get into back then, though, isn't it? That blue paint job can't have been more than a year or two old when the photo was taken? 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ummm, as posted in the fourth post in this thread, Jan 1st, 2013...?? ;) :mosking:

It's a shocking indictment of the state locos were allowed to get into back then, though, isn't it? That blue paint job can't have been more than a year or two old when the photo was taken? 

Paint was at least 3.5 years old at this point, received in Jan ‘67.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Yeah, I know, but this one is better quality, but I was going to comment about how diesel locos actually looked dirtier in the transition period than they did in the blue era when BR seemingly neglected its locos. I guess that was due to the steam locos that were still around messing up BR's new shiny toys.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2021 at 18:39, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, I know, but this one is better quality, but I was going to comment about how diesel locos actually looked dirtier in the transition period than they did in the blue era when BR seemingly neglected its locos. I guess that was due to the steam locos that were still around messing up BR's new shiny toys.

Glad you noticed the better quality as I have spent a considerable amount of time rescanning some of my earlier images with a new scanner..................obviously worthwhile!

The Midland allocated 27's were mainly used as freight engines in pairs and I expect they saw little of carriage washers which helped to keep some of the Cricklewood allocated examples quite smart.

• Thanks 2