Hornby ex L&Y Pug 0-4-0: slow running question

I'm planning a micro shunting layout (box-file sized) and want a very small shunter for it. Anyone care to comment on the s-l-o-w running capability of the Hornby ex-L&Y "Pug 0-4-0 for this sort of layout? I use Spratt and Winkle couplings, Peco Code 75 (live frog points). Any thoughts of an alternative (very small) steam shunter which runs well at very slow speeds?  Thanks for any replies received.

Any thoughts of an alternative (very small) steam shunter which runs well at very slow speeds?  Thanks for any replies received.

Model Rail's Sentinel can run extremely slowly.

• Agree 1

If you're into kit building, anything by High level kits has a superb slow-running gearbox. 

But I'll second that the Model Rail Sentinel is also very good, the pug not so much

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 1

The Hornby L&Y Pug is the ex-Dapol model, and the one I have, fitted with P4 wheels and a basic DCC decoder runs surprisingly well at slow speed.

Mine doesn't, mind you with a primitive controller I can get it to do wheelies!

A High Level chassis kit would transform the Pug. Got the kit, awaiting the round tuit.

Ian

It's suprisingly good at slow speed shunting as long as you are gentle with the throttle. The wheelies comment is entirely justified if you are heavy-handed. Mine went off so fast once that it reared back and got its coupling stuck in the sleepers :)

Model Rail Sentinel is excellent (got one, planning to buy two more), but dont discount 0-6-0 locos like Jinties and Panniers as well. They are well-catered for in models and are very fine models of their prototypes

• Like 1

I have used Dapol and Hornby Pugs for shunting and found them quite easy to control. My normal test is to stop about 10-15mm short of the wagons and then approach so that the hook of the hook-and-bar coupling drops over the bar and stopping before the bars make contact. My layout uses AMR hand held controllers. A Hornby tender drive 8F failed miserably and had to go.

• Like 1

HI

I have one and have found it can go off like a scold cat if your a bit heavy on the controls,I found if you gave it a good oiling and pull the wheels out a tad, this helps .

Also try to get as much weight into it as possible, this helps with the running,my one runs very slow on my layout, So with a bit of care it will run quit well.

Darren

• Like 1

Mine doesn't, mind you with a primitive controller I can get it to do wheelies!

A High Level chassis kit would transform the Pug. Got the kit, awaiting the round tuit.

Ian

I tuit not sir,as I am building a high level model RSH at the Mo,if all go well ,should run nice and slow, this will replace the pug.

Darren

Edited by darren01

• 6 years later...

Hi Modellers. Happy Easter . I have been considering the idea of converting an ex Dapol L & Y Pug for a while now, although everyone says “ Simples “ it would be my first go at doing one. The idea of the Pick Ups going via the chassis and the mention of “ hard wired “ puts the fear of God in me. I got as far as buying a Decoder, and stopped. Happy Modelling Kev 

It's perfectly possible to re-motor the Pug with a small Mashima motor (1220) which massively improves its running. High Level Kits chassis is a better option if you want the ultimate Pug. As already said though the Sentinel is very good.