Ben Alder

The Far North Line

A nice looking loco. Makes my old Triang 2-6-2T look poor!

Who do you use for lining?

Some more really lovely shots BTW.

Andy

Cheers all, - this should ensure a Bachmann announcement of this class anytime soon;- my extended build of an A2 from a Trix body, that took me about fifteen years off and on, was finally finished the week that Bachmann one broke news- I still have it about, its standards are firmly in the eighties, but due to the personal input, I haven't had the heart to get rid of it.

This is something that I am going to be more explicit about with this layout, at least on screen,- keeping to a prototypical roster, even if the actual timescale is going to be rather elastic, and 40150 was, compared to some of the kits I've tackled, a bit of an easy ride. The lining is Modelmasters, and it has had two sprays of satin varnish, which hasn't come up satin at all, but it has protected the lining, and it is going to get toned down with the airbrush in the summer.

Sorting out some vans for the shunt made me realise that I probably am a bit BR heavy in this respect, and a build of Big 4 stock might be needed. I do have a "Hattons special" of LNER vans started, but perhaps  some further variety should be sourced. LMS vans are a neglected species, although Cambrian now do some early ones, but perhaps some R-T-R  might appear soonish. There's plenty to keep me busy though in the pipeline.

The layout does seem to be lending itself to photography, esp. the terminus, but I am finding the Helmsdale shed a bit cramped- this can't be helped, because of the constraints of the room, and some thought is going on about possible angles and maybe a portable piece of backscene to widen possibilities. Here are a couple I took last night, and didn't post because they are too cluttered, but show the problem. The two Helmsdale residents, and one of the Thurso ex-HR Barney's on shed. The smaller size of these HR engines can be seen beside the Caley 812.

post-2642-0-63920400-1360711389_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-72792500-1360711435_thumb.jpg

No doubt more soon, but I find loco building a far slower aspect of the hobby compared to buildings and scenic work- suppose it's because a wee bit out of my comfort zone, and distant memories of my previous white metal building phase still haunt me :nea: - UHU glue and Triang chassis , all covered in a gloop of Humbrol enamel come to mind- so I proceed slowly and  carefully for these tasks.

Edited by Ben Alder
  • Like 14

As long a task as it is, the kit built pre grouping locos (and others of course) are adding so much to the overall scene Richard. As much as I love Black 5's, the shot of Helmsdale shed looks a lot better with the ex- HR and Caley locos on it than it would with a 5MT (although I presume that 5MT's were just as, if not more likely to be there at that time? Pardon my ignorance please).

I am looking at buying and building an L&Y class A kit soon and will get it just before the Bachmann announcements in the hope that they will then announce one. That is what happened last year with the 2-4-2 !

The shed looks fine Richard but perhaps only a couple of locos on shed. I presume the one on the turntable road is about to be turned. Other crews would not be happy to find a loco parked blocking the TT.

Don

In my view, the less RTR on any layout adds greatly to its individuality, so the more scratch and kitbuilt locos there are, the more character there is. I certainly agree with Sandside's comment about your pre group locos looking more interesting than the Black 5s ...

I also agree with your comment about the dearth of LMS goods stock. What RTR models are available are hopelessly inaccurate with Ratio and Cambrian the only producers of plastic kits. The former's van is quite elderly and only really suited to the unfitted variety whilst the Cambrian kits are a **** to make. I've knocked up a couple and have found it virtually impossible to get decent joints between the sides and ends. Having looked closely at the completed kits on the Cambrian stand at exhibitions, its a problem that the manufacturer has as well. Its a pity really, as Cambrian make models of some useful prototypes.

The proportions of post and pre nationalisation wagons modellers should have is interesting - obviously, it depends on the period you are modelling. I think I am correct is stating that at Nationalisation, the LMS and LNER bequeathed something like 80% of goods stock to BR (with the former providing slightly more) with the GWR leaving 15% and the SR a mere 5%. Its a bit difficult for us BR modellers to achieve anything like the right proportions at the moment!

Best wishes

David C

I totally agree about goods stock. In grouping times there was vast amount of pre-grouping wagons in stock. Even in 1948 there were still vast numbers of them about (some still in pre-grouping liveries!). Also the ratios of covered to open wagons is usually portrayed incorrectly, open wagons need to be the most predominate until at least the late 50's if not later.

The SR group is well catered for (for once!) by the available kits, the LNE/LMS groups not so. Us poor ScR modellers have next to nothing!

I have wondered in the past wether it would be possible to perswade one of the kit manufacturers (parkside?) to make a range of chassis kits for pre-grouping wagons. I have a batch of HR double-deck sheep wagons that I've got halfway though due to the fact that I don't know what I can mount them on. I don't know of any underframes that are suitable. Can you still get cast axleguards?

Should we start a wants list for freight stock?

Andy

The SR group is well catered for (for once!) by the available kits, the LNE/LMS groups not so. Us poor ScR modellers have next to nothing!

Should we start a wants list for freight stock?

Andy

Totaly agree that SR is catered for realy well as far as stock is concerned.

I do like your idea about the freight wants list though. It could be a long and tedious process.

How would you start such a project? Would it be a case of asking people their requirements or list what has been used and corrolate with what would be required?

Not one I'd like to take on though.

Duncan

Couldn't we just stick it up somewhere on here, like the loco wants list? Then you just add to it what you would like to see?

I might investigate it later in my shift (say around 1800 tonight!) what a space somewhere on RMweb!

Andy

Andy

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Duncan

In order to stop hijacking Ben Alder's thread any further, I've started a wants list under "Bachmann". Feel free to add your heart's desires on it.

Apologies to Ben for going off topic.

David C

No bother- it's actually a pertinent point, and well worth pursuing- lets hope it bears fruit! I'm glad its not only me who is wary of Cambrian kits- I regard myself as an adequate plastic modeller, but have been so put off by the few I have tackled that it is now a range I tend to ignore.One early LMS van I fitted onto another manufacturer's underframe, and this is a line I also took with a currently unfinished project of pregrouping cattle wagons-Model Wagon Coy- that I picked up at Glasgow years ago and made a tentative start to, before realising that the underframes were beyond any worth- must get back to that one sometime.....

The Black Fives will still be around, all main trains used them , and there was often one at Helmsdale waiting a turn, but the  built kits do seem at home here, and will feature prominently at both stations- they do give a sense of place, even if few did make it to BR crest.I was thinking about the comment on the individuality of layouts with "built" stock, and realised that most of what I have has been altered at the least. Barring the Fives, which have had a fair amount done to them, all the rest are kits, albeit with R-T-R mechs, and the LMS coaches are Airfix shells with Comet sides and underframe details. The only R-T-R are some of the parcel vans, and Mk 1's, which are not really going to be a feature on this layout. Most of the goods stock is Parkside or Ratio/Airfix or others, although I did use some of the Bachmann 16 ton minerals when they appeared, and the tank wagons are vintage Airfix or Mainline- once again due to the lack of kits.

All this could explain why it took me so long to get anywhere with the last layout, as it dawns on me some of the things I have been distracted with!

• Like 3

Not wishing to put a strain on your railway finances, but there appears to be someone quittingall his 4mm HR stock on Ebay at the moment. I've just seen a Clan Goods, item # 121065598747, might be worth a look?? :angel:  :angel:

Cheers,

Peter C.

Already looking :scratchhead: , and wondering if I will ever live long enough to start backdating any further or acquire the alchemy to put Jidenco kits togetther- tempting, but I really have enough on my plate as it is.

Cheers both,- half a lifetimes modelling finally coming into play, with Far North engines running with current standard chassis- I never thought I'd see the day- the compromises taken will be quietly overlooked :blush_mini:

The amount of time spent on that generation of  W/M kits to get them to a passable finish is something else, but has to be done for these engines. Once you get the hang of W/M soldering, it makes life so much easier. With a temperature controlled iron, there's not much harm you can do. I used a broth of solder, 90 second epoxy and superglue to put them together, and both the solder and epoxy tend to act as fillers to an extent. Final filling this time has been a mix of Games Workshop liquid green stuff and De Luxe perfect plastic putty, which once smoothed down was given a coat of liquid superglue to harden it up. I have found Zap-a Gap thick superglue effective, but don't really like using cyanos apart from small fittings, as unless it has flat surfaces to butt against, you cannot get a strong joint with superglue.

Besides, a couple of coats of primer hides a lot of imperfections!

I agree regarding solder. Solder the bigger parts and glue the smaller ones. You can also use the solder as a filler. It takes a bit of practice, you need to build the solder up in layers, with plenty of flux, quick in and out with the iron and allow the piece to cool down between using the solder. I actually quite like using whitemetal solder as a filler.

Regarding 1649, what chassis comes with it nowadays?

This was the first loco kit I built, and I still have it. The kit came with a milled brass chassis. I am going to convert it to EM gauge and put black plasticard overlays onto the 'block' to widen it and then detail.

Edited by andytrains

"Regarding 1649, what chassis comes with it nowadays?

This was the first loco kit I built, and I still have it. The kit came with a milled brass chassis. I am going to convert it to EM gauge and put black plasticard overlays onto the 'block' to widen it and then detail."

No such thing as nowadays with these kits, I'm afraid :no: - very little seems to have been done to them over the years and owners- mine have the solid brass lump for a chassis, but Benachie is also building one, and his comes with the two sides and spacers that some kits acquired. This is one engine I can't bodge a chassis around, and the other one has a High Level gearbox waiting to be assembled, but I've been distracted at the bench recently, and it has slipped down the queue a bit.

What does a Dornoch pannier do on its holidays?

The Dornoch branch was worked alternatively by the two panniers, with one engine spending a week at Helmsdale, where it got a washout, and any small repairs necessary, which would no doubt take a day or two to see to. Presumably it could have been available for pilot duties if needed, and, lo and behold, it has been photographed doing just that- shunting the LMS restaurant car which was taken off the northbound train here, and preparing to attach it to the corresponding south  train.

post-2642-0-24801400-1361053436_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-56891900-1361053566_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-44260800-1361053587_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-44581400-1361053616_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, at Thurso, one of the HR 0-6-0's has been given a moment of glory, with a Southern van to be added to a passenger working and then taken to the junction. After I took the pictures it dawned on me that the van perhaps should have been at the rear of the train, but we'll let that pass for now......Why an 0-6-0?- the Ben and Caley tank are both ATM on the workbench for repairs/maintenance, and so the Barneys are busier than usual.

post-2642-0-80390700-1361053525_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-23581500-1361053548_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-09725100-1361053492_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-99740100-1361053462_thumb.jpg

Edit- please excuse the jaunty position of the goods shed in the last photo- I had removed it for another pic, and hadn't realised it was in the wrong position!

Edited by Ben Alder
  • Like 16

Since Richard mentioned my "on-and-off" build of a 16xx here are a few current  pictures

msg-6341-0-06548300-1359552208_thumb.jpg
msg-6341-0-77702100-1359552272_thumb.jpg
msg-6341-0-29520400-1359552344_thumb.jpg
Once things are tidied up, the underside of the 1426 motor will represent the underside of the boiler to give daylight (which, unfortunately, doesn't show up in the pics.).
Alan
Edited by benachie
  • Like 4

Lovely work Richard! I'm particularly interested in the 16xx, and find it quite remarkable that the first time I see one in model form, its on a Scottish layout!

Which kit have you used?

I spent a couple of happy days chasing the K&ESR's 16xx up and down the Poppy Line a few years ago, and since had a footplate ride up and down the K&ESR on it for my 21st birthday.

Meanwhile, at Thurso, one of the HR 0-6-0's has been given a moment of glory, with a Southern van to be added to a passenger working and then taken to the junction. After I took the pictures it dawned on me that the van perhaps should have been at the rear of the train, but we'll let that pass for now......

Why should the van go at the rear? I see no reason for it not to be at the front as it is fitted.

The Pannier shunting the RC is nice (I have an old Triang Pullman running as LMS 213 that used to appear on the trains that were for the far north line.)

I'm still so taken by the feel of the layout, I'm up there in the Highlands with you.

Andy G

Why should the van go at the rear? I see no reason for it not to be at the front as it is fitted.

Andy G

All depends on what happened at Georgemas Jcn (and I'm sorry but the answer to that is way off my patch although having the van front does seem logical if the Wick portion was shunted onto the Inverness end of the Thurso portion).

Thanks all,- the pannier is far from home, and is a beast not often seen on layouts. It is a Sutherland Models kit, that passed through various hands, ending up in the NuCast/Autocom range and was available until last year, when the owner finally retired. My two came from eBay, and work on the second has stalled for the moment.

Thinking about the van- the Thurso segment was generally shunted onto the Wick portion from the rear at Georgemas, so it would have been in the right position after all.

Andy- what Pullman have you used as the restaurant car- I have looked at various types but none match up. I never thought of the Triang ones though.

The last week's work has been on the bench, at a tangent, again..... Much of my inspiration comes from photographs and one of another Small Ben has been gnawing away at me for some time now- 54399 Ben Wyvis, with a Caley stove pipe chimney, and fitted with a small snowplough. So, when rummaging through the stockpile for another project and coming on my T9 mountain, this sudddenly rose to the surface. I won't go into details of it here-to be blogged later- but nothing untoward required. Here is a shot of the bench with the body almost finished- steps to be added- and tenders underway. The photos that inspired can be seen in the background.

post-2642-0-57932000-1361575701_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-19997400-1361575725_thumb.jpg

From this little distraction more emerged, however- I realised that somehow I had made the sandboxes on Ben Alder too large, so it was taken in for a mod.,and while working on the second Ben, I started before realising that I was using a wide cab version that did not have coupling rod splashers, so a second body had to be used. This happened to be a lined BR black version, and the idea germinated of perhaps having a lined Ben. My postulation is that instead of floating aimlessly around for years after withdrawal, with nobody quite sure what to do with it, as actually happened, it might have gone through an overhaul and tidy-up along with 55053-the HR Dornoch 0-4-4T-and be used instead of stored. So the current plan is to do this, and turn the present Ben Alder into Ben Alisky, which saw out its last days as Helmsdale pilot, and retained a HR chimney with no tender rails. This should be done this week. A small complication is that Modelmaster have discontinued their relevant transfer sheets, so some patching together is going to be needed, unless someone has a spare Ben Alder lurking on a sheet, unused.

A couple of shots showing the difference the smaller sandboxes make.

post-2642-0-63503400-1361575617_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-06989400-1361576447_thumb.jpg

And some general ones.

The Caley tank on track trials- the original pivot pin had a spring held on by a plastic collar which kept working loose, so a plastic nut was glued in place instead and a bolt used to secure it, which should solve the problem

post-2642-0-34057900-1361576779_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-46767000-1361575515_thumb.jpg

One or two of the altered Ben on passenger duties

post-2642-0-85812600-1361575547_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-79337300-1361575595_thumb.jpg

And the second half of 1649 shunting the restaurant car at Helmsdale- a subtle change of car was needed, as the LMS one has been the subject of on-site trials of Sprat and Winkle couplings, and the left corridor connection has been removed, so an LNER car has been substituted- one did run to Helmsdale though,so the only crime here is a lack of continuity!

post-2642-0-52657200-1361575652_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-40304900-1361575749_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-20543500-1361575771_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-71226700-1361575792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben Alder
  • Like 14

Morning Richard, well some more simply stunning pics ther mate, really atmospheric, thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

Andy