Ben Alder

The Far North Line

Hope you get your 'mojo' back soon. It's certainly inspired me to get off my butt and get a move on with my Arbroath shed and stop procrastinating!!

Regards Les (keeeeeeeep posting!)

• Like 2

'Ben' why have you got TWO water tanks? Are they both typically Highland ? What pattern would the Caley have used? Do you Know?

Regards Les

'Ben' why have you got TWO water tanks? Are they both typically Highland ? What pattern would the Caley have used? Do you Know?

Regards Les

Because they were there! One is the original Highland one, albeit a cobbled Airfix tank, but close enough for me, and the other was added during the war to give extra capacity to cope with the vastly expanded traffic to the North- it is the rearmost one.

As for CR ones, I'm afraid its another case of ignorance on my part, I'm afraid. Any knowledge of the Caley I have  is focused on the engines transferred to the HR after the war. You would be best trying the CR Association- http://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/as I am sure the answer can be found there.

Every time I come back to view your layout, Ben Alder, I shake my head in amazement at your modelling skills.  No word of a lie to say that your artistry always makes me smile, especially when I need it like on a dull day like today.    

Lovely set of pictures as always. I'm currently checking out and researching approaches for ground cover, particularly in and around depot area. I'm struck by your last photo in terms of the relative smoothness of the ground cover between the roads, which to me looks far more convincing than the 'ballasted with coaI' effect that you sometimes see.

Simple question therefore - how did you go about it?

Love that 812, really hope to build my own one of these days

Love that 812, really hope to build my own one of these days

How are you going to go about it? The DJH kit is more miss than hit,although there is a brass one from Caley Coaches. I would imagine that if anyone decides on R-T-R ScR stuff an 812 would be about top of the list, but then I've been saying that for forty plus years now... :dontknow:

Lovely set of pictures as always. I'm currently checking out and researching approaches for ground cover, particularly in and around depot area. I'm struck by your last photo in terms of the relative smoothness of the ground cover between the roads, which to me looks far more convincing than the 'ballasted with coaI' effect that you sometimes see.

Simple question therefore - how did you go about it?

Thanks- the shed areas were infilled with cork sheet, any joins covered with Polyfilla and the surfaces given a coat of Game Workshop Stormvermin Fur- a good ground cover shade- and a scattering of fine builders sand. It has had some drags of shades of greys added in bits but is basically as above. I  would agree with you about the surfaces of some shed scenes  though....

How are you going to go about it? The DJH kit is more miss than hit,although there is a brass one from Caley Coaches. I would imagine that if anyone decides on R-T-R ScR stuff an 812 would be about top of the list, but then I've been saying that for forty plus years now... :dontknow:

Yes I've read the DJH kit is rather difficult, far beyond my skill anyway!

I'm trying to keep an eye out for suitable 'bashing' donors. With the GBL series out, I might try and adapt a Caley single into either an HR 'Barney' or a CR 'Jumbo'. I'm more confident with plastic and filler than metal by a long way!

• Like 1

Hello Richard,

your pictures are looking good as usual. And I'm impressed by the amount of vans in your second picture.

I hope to convert my Dapol M7 to a Caley 439, in the future and hope that I could built the Caley Jumbo from

a Worsley Works kit (both in N). But for the later I have to find some driving wheels. For the tender I will

propably use the Dapol Terrier chassis.

Markus

• Like 1

Hope you tackle this one- I am very impressed with your work in this field. The Caley Single idea is probably the easiest way forward on this- should be easy enough to pick up some donors....

As an aside, here are a couple of shots I was trying out today on the layout- having a mix of operating and some photography to reignite some interest. Firstly a warts and all shot of the terminus; this was taken in fading light and the camera setting on fluorescent, a combination I have found can give interesting effects sometimes. Ignore the squint water tank- I had straightened it up seconds before, honestly... :scratchhead:

attachicon.gifIMG_1575-crop.JPG

One of the goods yard - there are about sixteen different types of van here- part of the interest in modelling days before too much standardisation...

attachicon.gifIMG_1572-crop.JPG

The shed in afternoon light, the Caley 812 has made a trip from Helmsdale north, but is lying  in the spare siding- obviously not needed anytime soon.

attachicon.gifIMG_1577-crop.JPG

Lastly, a shunting scene at Helmsdale, with a HR 0-6-0 at work. Pity about the uprooted HR ground signal.....

attachicon.gifIMG_1560-crop.JPG

Hi Richard

Nice to "have you back."

Isn't it funny every time you take what you think is a good shot that you see something like your ground signal lying askew........

Sod's Law isn't it?

Regards

Ken

Regards Les

The CR used different types of water tank at different locations. Crieff had two at one time, one timber based, probably earlier, and a brick base tank. Busby had a timber base tank. There is a drawing of the last on the CRA forum if you are interested.

Jim

Richard.

Good to see you back and also to see more shots of your excellent layout, locos and stock.

Please keep them coming.

Andy.

Personally, I think the light has produced some superb atmospheric pictures.  Again, from a personal perspective, I think your layout and pictures rank right up there with some of the best on this forum!

Again fantastic shots. I wonder if the backscene above Helmsdale is just a tad too washed out?

Don't mention that kit 439... I must get it finished! Although I agree about how much work it requires....

Andy G

• Like 1

:blush:  Thanks, and to all the other likes as well, - I don't want to just carry on repeating shots for the sake of it, there's only so much I can squeeze out of a small set up, but if I can either show some progress or some interesting effect, I'll do so but less of "what I did today sort of thing"...

Having said that :pardon:  I was a bit disappointed with the shots from the last post, esp. with regard to the weathering on the shunted van. It is far more subtlety done than showed up in the photos- a problem I have often noticed in screen shots, so I tried  a few more tonight.  These were done under the daylight tubes and with different light settings , and while not as accurate as seeing it by eye, perhaps is a bit less brutal...

attachicon.gifIMG_1588-crop.JPG

The main purpose of tonight's session was  a continuing exploration of an alternative backscene, to give a bit more sky, which due to my incompetence  has resulted in a false start or two. Here is another shot with a different background- too bright, but with the ever helpful patience of John at ID Backscenes, something might emerge- I'm looking for a bit more sky to  maybe get some impression of space ...

attachicon.gifIMG_1584-crop.JPG

It's still  less than reality, but gives a better impression of the (airbrushed) weathering...

While I was at it , here are a couple more- a SCV  waiting for the sales  at Thurso; some costly cattle are going south soon....

attachicon.gifIMG_1595-crop.JPG

and some shunting... this loco is showing its cobbled origins and use... but it runs beautifully ( new M7 into Caley 439, with lots of compromises) and is going to linger on- enough rumours of a R-T-R version sometime soon to stop me doing anything about it ; it certainly is better than I could have made from the existing WM kit....

attachicon.gifIMG_1589-crop.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1590-crop.JPG

Hi Richard

I do agree about the IM backscene sheets, but at least they're subtle, and don't "take over" the shot.

I'm quite happy with mine, and I must get the others in stock hung, sometime..........

Kind regards

Ken 

It might be small but it is beautifully formed as this shot demonstrates, there is always another way to photograph a model!

This is a truly wonderful photo. When the results are this good, please post them!

post-6702-0-64219000-1424995221.jpg

• Like 6

Here is a workbench shot- with the usual clutter- showing in the background a quick print out of the actual dock arrangement. For the use it was put to at times it was surprisingly small, but mostly the animals were herded and guided with moveable folds apparently.

post-2642-0-85638300-1426451364.jpg

One of the quirks of this station was the number of huts and altered vans that lived on the site, and I got details of a couple more from the gentleman, and an adaption of another one can be seen in the foreground- this one sat beside the goods shed, as seen in the right hand print, and no doubt was used as an adjunct to the main building, in much the same way that a pair of older LMS vans sat at the bay platform end for many years at a later date,after the shed as such was falling out of use. My shortcutting can be seen in the foreground- a resin kit that will do enough for me for the mo.

• Like 11

Nothing constructive of note, but I have obtained from ID backscenes an adapted set of Hills and Dales that will give a bit more sky to the scene. He cut off the bottom 3"from the Hills bit and added an overcast sky to it, which I am pleased with. It wont be added till later in the year, but here are a couple of shots of two of the rolls laid in place in front of the existing one. There is not going to any real change but just  a bit more photographic potential...

Here is one- ignore the creases- they will not be there in the final version.

post-2642-0-03893100-1427060786_thumb.jpg

and looking over the approach...

post-2642-0-36661300-1427060962_thumb.jpg

Some of the bright foreground will be cut off, and the roll is sitting at an angle, but it shows the gist of things...

Incidentally, and following on from a posting in Coachman's Delph thread, I might add that these are done on polypropylene, are self adhesive and wipeable, with a far more robust surface than the paper versions, which are very prone to damage. They cost a fraction more, but are far superior than the original versions, and can be obtained direct from Art Printers- here- http://www.art-printers.com/  -he offers a very good service and is most obliging- doing bespoke versions of his range as required and also will process original images into backscenes.

Finally, a shot of the real backscene at Helmsdale, taken through a grubby 158 window a couple of weeks ago- the ID version isn't too far out... :scratchhead:

post-2642-0-13157000-1427060810.jpg

Edited by Ben Alder
  • Like 18

Yes, just a pity he doesn't have a late Fifties Scottish small town one for the terminus, :no: