Ben Alder

The Far North Line

:blush_mini:.. Thanks, I'm just about finished another one at the mo, and I know he has plans and ideas for several other buildings in the pipeline - interesting times ahead for the HR modeller.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Richard, 

I do like the Longmorn Station building. Regarding the roof in the unpainted shots, what are the darker markings for on the roof slates? Marker slots for chimneys? I'm guessing you added new roofing slates over the original, along with new ridge tiles instead of the slightly heavy decorative ones from the kit?

The end results speak for themselves I think, a basic kit that repays a little time and work with a useful structure. 

Martyn.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The marks on the roof are locating tabs for the walls - as they come they are simple to assemble but very robust. Most of his range does not fall into anything like a scale or model approach, but he is keen to expand this side of things. The ridge tiles were beyond making anything of, and a perusal of other similar buildings showed several with traditional ridging - the roof is straight from the kit and give the impression of a slate cladding very well - the tabs were scored to match the roof and a little gooey liquid green stuff used to fill any gaps, but generally they fit together well and tightly, so much so that any primed joins have to be opened out slightly. I clad the chimneys with embossed styrene and added coping and cast chimneys but the rest is as it comes; I chickened out of painting the window surrounds brown though.....

Next to be done is the new engine shed, an amalgam of Burghead and Kyle as its basis. In theory it should take less time than this one - we shall see- but I am enjoying this series of builds, as much for the delving for info and images of them as the making. Iain has a signal cabin planned fairly shortly and I have discovered more about the variety and background to these buildings in the last month or so than I had ever paid attention to before. My approach to construction has been to work from photos and a "if it looks right then it is right"judgement on it but his designers needs require a more methodical attitude than mine. It has made me realise I should have measured and recorded these items when they were still extant- the benefits of hindsight....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

It has made me realise I should have measured and recorded these items when they were still extant- the benefits of hindsight....

A surprising amount of GNoSR buildings and infrastructure seem to have survived when you start poking about.

I made my (N gauge) station building by crudely measuring up the one at Portsoy which is in use as a Scout hut.

At the risk of hijacking the thread I include a picture below.

33854155305_d49aabcda0_z.jpgdecant 052 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

Hope this is of interest.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

The marks on the roof are locating tabs for the walls - as they come they are simple to assemble but very robust. Most of his range does not fall into anything like a scale or model approach, but he is keen to expand this side of things. The ridge tiles were beyond making anything of, and a perusal of other similar buildings showed several with traditional ridging - the roof is straight from the kit and give the impression of a slate cladding very well - the tabs were scored to match the roof and a little gooey liquid green stuff used to fill any gaps, but generally they fit together well and tightly, so much so that any primed joins have to be opened out slightly. I clad the chimneys with embossed styrene and added coping and cast chimneys but the rest is as it comes; I chickened out of painting the window surrounds brown though.....

Next to be done is the new engine shed, an amalgam of Burghead and Kyle as its basis. In theory it should take less time than this one - we shall see- but I am enjoying this series of builds, as much for the delving for info and images of them as the making. Iain has a signal cabin planned fairly shortly and I have discovered more about the variety and background to these buildings in the last month or so than I had ever paid attention to before. My approach to construction has been to work from photos and a "if it looks right then it is right"judgement on it but his designers needs require a more methodical attitude than mine. It has made me realise I should have measured and recorded these items when they were still extant- the benefits of hindsight....

Hi Richard

Some really great modelling.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

G'day Folks

That looks B***** good. Congratulations.

manna

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

20200729_010847.jpg.da251014d0c569772e23c46360860d38.jpg

Looks good!  Can you advise more on the stone finish you found and used?   And is the roof just the original painted?  (Apologies for there being no  quoted text - I was “snipping” your posted message and went one click too far on my iPad, with no apparent way to “undo”).

Edited by 26power
To explain why no quoted text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Richard,

That does look pretty passable.  Can I also ask as to the source of the stone paper you refer to?  I can see its merits as stone takes a long time!

A small point but the Highland (and I suspect many other companies) conceived their sheds so that the locos always pointed towards the front.  This meant that they only needed to put the smoke stacks in a limited number of locations.  Thus, both stacks should presume a loco pointing forward.

Mark

Thanks all - link to the paper here. It has a softish wallpaper type texture but went on perfectly with Copydex, and the only thing I did to it was finger rub some MIG European Earth pigment powder on to the surface to tone down the finish. The roof is as it comes, with a spray of Humbrol no1 primer and a coat of Miniature Paints dark grey, which results in a passable finish, to my mind.

As for the roof vents, they were a follow on from my own shed rebuild the other year, and I hummed and hawed about their placement then. In the end it was a matter of aesthetics; my model is far shorter than its prototype, whatever combination of sheds I based it on, and two tender locos don't fit in it anyway, and trial placings of the vents for two front facing engines looked "wrong" to my eye, so ended up making them more or less symmetrical. This I did on the kit build as well, probably out of habit:unsure:.... but in my defence I will cite the Dingwall arrangement....

831106539_DingwallHRPhotosMay31stvcrop.jpg.2222f368c3e779447160b3b3a4a33cba.jpg

And the link - there is a range of these papers in various scales, if you go to his shop.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-SHEETS-stone-wall-21x29cm-OO-Embossed-BUMPY-LANDSCAPE-PAPER-b7y6/392766467552?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3Def8f7d3f7c594a85963f3e1ae05ae2b2%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D114326661036%26itm%3D392766467552%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3Abe5dd872-d507-11ea-8e29-ce6ae2775303|parentrq%3Ab1179fdc1730a4e8660630f7ffdcaf92|iid%3A1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 02/08/2020 at 23:10, Ben Alder said:

Thanks all - link to the paper here. It has a softish wallpaper type texture but went on perfectly with Copydex, and the only thing I did to it was finger rub some MIG European Earth pigment powder on to the surface to tone down the finish. The roof is as it comes, with a spray of Humbrol no1 primer and a coat of Miniature Paints dark grey, which results in a passable finish, to my mind.

And the link - there is a range of these papers in various scales, if you go to his shop.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-SHEETS-stone-wall-21x29cm-OO-Embossed-BUMPY-LANDSCAPE-PAPER-b7y6/392766467552?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3Def8f7d3f7c594a85963f3e1ae05ae2b2%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D114326661036%26itm%3D392766467552%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3Abe5dd872-d507-11ea-8e29-ce6ae2775303|parentrq%3Ab1179fdc1730a4e8660630f7ffdcaf92|iid%3A1

Thanks for the stone information and source.  Looks interesting, and maybe wider knowledge of it will reduce reliance on Wills sheets!  Thanks also for the slate finishing details.

• Informative/Useful 1

No bother - the laser "slates" come out well - I might mention to them that it might be a useful addition to have plain sheets as a scratch option. Once you disguise the edge thickness they are effective.

As for the embossed sheets, the proof will be in the pudding - lightfastness- I've got a bit half covered and in a S facing window for testing. I'll report back in six months or so....:)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

No bother - the laser "slates" come out well - I might mention to them that it might be a useful addition to have plain sheets as a scratch option. Once you disguise the edge thickness they are effective.

As for the embossed sheets, the proof will be in the pudding - lightfastness- I've got a bit half covered and in a S facing window for testing. I'll report back in six months or so....:)

Ah, hadn’t thought of that!  Presumably they could be over painted though?

On 14/06/2020 at 20:45, Ben Alder said:

an amalgam of Burghead and Kyle

I thought that shed looked familiar! (have nearly completed a 2mm model of the Kyle shed myself).

The embossed paper stonework is very effective and the colour is spot-on.

You're right about working from photos. For instance, the scale drawing I have of Kyle shed shows round smoke stacks whereas it's clear from photos that it had the distinctive square type you've done here. Need to build a 2mm version of those...

• Like 1

Fair enough on the smoke vents; as you say Dingwall is the exception!  I wonder if it is because it had the little tanks for Strathpeffer?

I will take a look at the paper, it does look good.

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defford said:

I thought that shed looked familiar! (have nearly completed a 2mm model of the Kyle shed myself)

And very good it is too! Thought the whole thing was 4mm to begin with - even more impressive in 2....A layout well worth following progress on.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
On 14/08/2020 at 10:23, Ben Alder said:

The usual first outing and through the digital looking glass - the white specks are spray varnish solids - invisible to this eye :unsure: but can be prised off with a scalpel. I really must discard that can......

As we say an the antipodes - bu**er.

Edited by aardvark
re-instate critical but censored word
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh, worse was uttered during tonights  removal operation.....

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Posted (edited)
On 14/08/2020 at 01:23, Ben Alder said:

Latest out of the workshop of imaginative sidelines - Peter Drummond's HR  dock tank, built before the Great War in anticipation of increased naval traffic at the stations that would deal with this traffic. Imaginary, but not impossible - the NB  and CR both had similar engines and PD went on to build such a loco later at his time on the GSWR. One is preserved at the Glasgow Museum -

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/9-0-6-0t-glasgow-south-western-railway-class-5/

It was a successful design but fell foul of the LMS's standardisation policies, so the class had a short life, but as has been seen here, such shortsightedness never applied to the Far North Line, so here is one retained for  Scrabster duties, pottering around at Thurso. It has the body of an O2, bought as a spare for my earlier conversion of another one as a medium HR tank - drawn up but never realised - and I intend one day to try and remotor it ; the least said about DJ's mechanisms the better; so the body was spare, and the recent offer of cheap Heljan GW saddle tanks led to an amalgam of the two locos. It has a bit of compromise but nothing major to my eyes, and runs really well although the pick ups need to be carefully adjusted. The usual first outing and through the digital looking glass - the white specks are spray varnish solids - invisible to this eye :unsure: but can be prised off with a scalpel. I really must discard that can......IMG_1494.JPG.d3729a41a984a63717a7b6dbb8e1b683.JPGIMG_1479.JPG.61f7cbc8ade1ba631c5fd57b81fc2cba.JPGIMG_1489.JPG.1a4f1c7ac9f20144cb77cc060b7cfb87.JPGIMG_1492.JPG.6ccab5297660023da219b2fdac12d32d.JPG

It is Scotland it was probably snowing!

Looks good though. Very convincing.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Were both combination links in 42991's valve gear really meant to be like that when the pictures were taken?

:unsure:...It needs its smokebox numberplate added so when it is in works the valve gear will be examined as well.....and stern words said to someone, I suspect......

(It has been running OK as it is but it looks as if  something has slipped.)

• Friendly/supportive 1