The Far North Line

Ben Alder

Thanks all. I no doubt went over it at the time, but when that was I can't remember, so a quick resume. It is a DJH kit with a DJH 0-6-0 812 boiler - both kits were far from their best and I won't be doing another... It represents the LMS rebuilds that they applied to several HR classes to give them life extensions with the adopted standard CR boiler, which changed its appearance a lot - the original loco having a lower pitched boiler and a sleeker look. The Radial can be adapted to do a passable model of this version  but I like the rebuilt version, which seems to be rarely modelled, and mine has obviously been retained long enough to get the lined black livery that graced the CR 4-4-0's in the Fifties.

• Like 2

Richard,

Really enjoying your thread, especially the what it's.

're your earlier comment about class 20's venturing onto the FNL, I am sure you are right that it was rare. There is a Norris Forrest photo of one at Muir of Ord in 1960. Not sure if they got any further north.

Cheers

David

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Some more activity - done for a FB group, but might as well pop up here as well - a vignette of some of the attractions of modelling Helmsdale , along with another glimpse of its resident Class Four. I'm quite taken with this loco and haven't done much in the way of weathering to it yet and will probably leave it more or less as it is. Anyway, a collection of restaurant cars and a Royal Mail carrier. Set meals from an MR diner and ex Pullman  - folk back then didn't know how lucky they were....

IMG_1793.JPG.f4213c8f2f10cafae9c5b9cb3abfe6df.JPGIMG_1785.JPG.e2fc0d211005bcfdab3433a29b8da052.JPGIMG_1789.JPG.551fd16b75a192797a1c3619036810eb.JPGIMG_1791.JPG.41045c278bcdf7bccb8bf17842bf1671.JPG

And a service train arriving,attaching and leaving.

IMG_1795.JPG.0d932407fc9b3b066b1517e4a1e03789.JPGIMG_1809.JPG.aba5113d7ccfcb2e5cc8cea102408509.JPGIMG_1799.JPG.35f2e6f7de01ac528c983788acc7571e.JPG

These are brilliant. When we were chatting a few weeks back about pre grouping coaches on the FNL you omitted to say you already had models of most of them!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Bell said:

These are brilliant. When we were chatting a few weeks back about pre grouping coaches on the FNL you omitted to say you already had models of most of them!

Thanks, but that is a subject I should hang my head in shame about....uax6 kindly put together the MR diner from his Silhouette cutter along with the HR van and has done some HR coaches for me to assemble, two of which I started in 2015 and they are still waiting finishing....:unsure: along with some brass kits, not to mention four or so of my Airfix/Comet hybrids that need an overhaul. I have a mental block it seems when I come to coaches - I fully intend to get them done but they never manage to the top of the pile.....Maybe this year - it appears I have been given more modelling time.... although the last enforced period of semi idleness didn't produce any tangible results...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

One omitted from the last Thurso shots - the Clayton shunting. Clearing out the cab improves the look of it a lot. The patchy repaints are not obvious to the eye and I couldn't be bothered redoing the whole body, so any shots are likely to be distance ones. It is a rather fetching thing, for a diesel, and I can imagine the views from the cab as it journeyed through the Flow Country with its big skies and vistas.

IMG_1802.JPG.896e7ecd726bf53c27a489e600de46fe.JPG

Stunning picture of the Class 17 Clayton, but I have to ask, is this a flight of fantasy or were they really allowed that far north on their own :unsure:.

20 hours ago, aardvark said:

Hey Richard:

Just wondering whether you have any preference for figures in your loco cabs.  With a pending explosion in my own loco collection, perhaps it's time to consider such details.

Historically, anything that looked the part - a mix of plastic and white metal from any source going, but recently I have made use of ModelU and Hardy Hobbies scanned figures which are a game changer in many ways. My only slight gripe with them is that  people were thinner and often slighter half a century ago and some of the figures are too tall and well fed  for those adays. I also use some Masterpiece white metal ones which can be too small but often suit if I have added weight to the footplate and they have to perch above it. They are nowhere as well sculpted as the scanned ones but have a charm and I am quite happy with them as general figures inside the cab - the newer ons get to lean over the cab side or peer out of the door..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Stunning picture of the Class 17 Clayton, but I have to ask, is this a flight of fantasy or were they really allowed that far north on their own :unsure:.

Completely unjustified but I like it...;) They frequented the Central Belt or lay around a lot there but never got anywhere near the Highland line at all ,AFAIK. Just assume they actually worked and were tested on the lighter traffic lines.....It's one of the few diesels I ever took a shine to although I've never seen one and I'm enjoying its forays doing some light work here.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

Completely unjustified but I like it...;) They frequented the Central Belt or lay around a lot there but never got anywhere near the Highland line at all ,AFAIK. Just assume they actually worked and were tested on the lighter traffic lines.....It's one of the few diesels I ever took a shine to although I've never seen one and I'm enjoying its forays doing some light work here.

I must admit that I’ve got a soft spot for them and it’s a shame they were hopeless.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that I’m doing my own flight of fantasy on my Heckington, Lincs layout.  I recently purchased a Hornby Clan, 72008 Clan Macleod and in my little world, it was spared the gas axe.  It will be running as a steam special, using maroon BR Mk1’s in my layouts timeframe of 2018 and 2019.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
  • Like 3