News from Cooper Craft/Blacksmith/Slater's/Kirk LNER/Mailcoach Kits.

Kits from Somerset

• RMweb Premium

Hmm - as someone commented further up the post... 22 pages of not much really.

The fact is his website os offering services that don't really exist, for whatever reason.... Proof of this is that you never see Cooper Craft in your local shop and other than shows, can't really buy anything...

All indicates the ranges he has tried to make are not being made any longer....

I'm going to stop watching this thread now, initially the intention was to get feed-back from the owner and see models produced. Sadly I don't think either scenario is going to happen.

Neal.

I have been really disappointed by the savagery with which Paul Dunn has been attacked in this thread.

Paul is a hobbyist trader working alone from home where he supports his elderly mother. He took on the Coopercraft range in order to keep them available and then found that the tools were mostly life expired. He has done the best he can with them.

He next tried to taken on the Slater's 00 range when he heard that they wanted to give up the range. This transfer never went smoothly, with Paul even now being unable to make up complete kits due to missing tools. The affair is now in the hands of the legal profession.

He then tried to salvage the Blacksmith range. Here he has found a complete jumble, with some of the artwork from early kits being irreversibly modified to produce components for later releases and other tools just disappeared.

If you want to know how I know all this, its simple. When he attends shows, I go up and talk to the man. If you want to know why " the owner was hidden away at the back of the display and seemed to be engrossed in his laptop" at Scalefour North, he was actually using the time productively, recreating some of the missing Blacksmith artwork so that at least some of the range can be brought back to the market.

No, he is not much of a businessman, but he is a model railway enthusiast doing his best. Give him a break.

As Neal Ball, I am coming to the conclusion that this thread has gone full circle and I shall not waste any more time reading it and go and build some toplights instead.

Nigel, you may have had a long chat with CC but that is his side of the story. It would be interesting to hear Slater's side, not that we ever will.

As far as the Blacksmith range is concerned CC was one of several cottage firms approached to buy the entire catalogue. The films along with the original Fred Blackman hand drawn artwork, and some later Carl Legg films were available for all to see, so he knew exactly what he was taking on. (would you buy without checking out first?) As far as irreversible is concerned, that is down to limit of skills. As mentioned previous threads, the films are tired due to continuous use, and CAD scan and clean up of the original artwork were seen as a sensible solution. If he cannot tackle this himself or contract it out, whose fault is it that he took the range on?

As with the films, the casting molds and masters are old and there are better modern alternatives available.(original masters now approaching 50 years old). With the GWR coaches, all could be sourced as trade supplies from others. CC do not cast in whitemetal and CC have to outsources casting anyway so what is his problem?  Building a trust with caster/suppliers is all that is needed or is that easier said than done?

The Blacksmith range non 7mm sale was as a, whole catalogue sale, which meant some intended purchasers buying items of little interest, compatibility, or duplication of with existing ranges. I was impressed it was sold as one lot. When others walked away, was this very brave or an unrealistic move?

If he is using the condition of the Blacksmith originals as an excuse for not producing, then why did he buy it, if he did not have the skills to sort out: he only has himself to blame?

Back to the modelling table

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 weeks later...

Cooper Craft - another unhappy customer.

Ordered some bits and pieces from the Cooper Craft web site on 18 March. Nothing arrived, so I e-mailed on 18 April. No reply. E-mailed again on 28 April. No reply. 

This seems to be the way Cooper Craft operate - don't provide a service and ignore the customer. WordPay are not interested and it looks as if my money is gone. 

Be advised - you deal with Cooper Craft at your own risk!

Ordered some bits and pieces from the Cooper Craft web site on 18 March. Nothing arrived, so I e-mailed on 18 April. No reply. E-mailed again on 28 April. No reply. 

This seems to be the way Cooper Craft operate - don't provide a service and ignore the customer. WordPay are not interested and it looks as if my money is gone. 

We have been aware of the nonexistent service he has provided for a long time. Its a shame you fell into the trap as its a hassle to get back out.

You need to contact your credit card company and file a claim to get the money back.

We have been aware of the nonexistent service he has provided for a long time. Its a shame you fell into the trap as its a hassle to get back out.

You need to contact your credit card company and file a claim to get the money back.

Amount too small for the card companies to be interested - which is just as well as I would be really annoyed if it was a large amount gone AWOL. Tomorrow, I'm going to try the local Trading Standards - but expect never to see either money or items.

This is just a warning to others - if you are going to deal on a web site, place a small order first to see what happens.

And the Cooper Craft web site gives the impression of being nothing but a scam - don't place ANY orders there. :nono:

Due to some of the Cooper Craft, Mailcoach, Kirk & Slater's have been out of stock due to a problem with my machine, it will be best for you to place your order but not pay for it at that time. I can let you know when back in stock before you pay for it.

This message is on Coopercrafts web site

Guest 40-something

Amount too small for the card companies to be interested - which is just as well as I would be really annoyed if it was a large amount gone AWOL. Tomorrow, I'm going to try the local Trading Standards - but expect never to see either money or items.

This is just a warning to others - if you are going to deal on a web site, place a small order first to see what happens.

And the Cooper Craft web site gives the impression of being nothing but a scam - don't place ANY orders there. :nono:

The order I am chasing was just over the threshold so its in the hands of my card issuer, I contacted the local Trading Standards but they showed no interest.

I ordered from CC last year with no probs, this time its a different matter!

Guest 40-something

Due to some of the Cooper Craft, Mailcoach, Kirk & Slater's have been out of stock due to a problem with my machine, it will be best for you to place your order but not pay for it at that time. I can let you know when back in stock before you pay for it.

It is, but if you are ordering Blacksmiths items, there is no indication!

Plus an order isn't confirmed until after you pay!

With that message on the website, I can't see Trading Standards being too sympathetic.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It is, but if you are ordering Blacksmiths items, there is no indication!

Plus an order isn't confirmed until after you pay!

Well, If you have gone to the trouble to find this thread I am surprised that you haven't gone to the trouble to read it. Because if you had you would have found out long ago that there are issues with the email and  the concensus has been that if you need to contact him...DO so by phone.

If landline is to dear get some credit and use Skype...it is not hard!

Khris

I see you are new to RMWeb - perhaps you may have an excuse there for not knowing and adding your complaint to this topic.

... But anyone who has been a member of RMWeb for any length of time will be well aware of this long running discussion on the merits or otherwise of Coopercraft. There is nothing new and anyone reading this topic at length will be at least well aware that sending an email into the oblivion is a waste of time as there is no one there to receive it. It just is not being delivered to its desired destination.

Some have had limited success in using the telephone as a contact method, and really that should be your next course of action rather than sending pointless emails.

Otherwise the only course of action is to write or meet with the owner in person at a show that is being attended by him.

Trading Standards, or I suspect even any credit card company, is not going to be interested in your complaint until you have made reasonable effort to contact the business (that reasonable effort remains telephone and 'signed for' post).

• RMweb Gold

Trading Standards, or I suspect even any credit card company, is not going to be interested in your complaint until you have made reasonable effort to contact the business (that reasonable effort remains telephone and 'signed for' post).

I suspect that in these impecunious times, Trading Standards are not over-resourced, and have to demonstrate their own version of Value For Money in their investigations. Thus they may seek bigger fish to fry than a mail-order supplier defaulting on modest sums, I'm afraid.

Guest 40-something

Well, If you have gone to the trouble to find this thread I am surprised that you haven't gone to the trouble to read it. Because if you had you would have found out long ago that there are issues with the email and  the concensus has been that if you need to contact him...DO so by phone.

If landline is to dear get some credit and use Skype...it is not hard!

Khris

I have read this thread, and if YOU had gone to the trouble to read my previous posts then you will have read that I have tried to call but got no answer numerous times, I have emailed and received read receipts, and written by registered post - all part of evidence gathering that is needed when pursuing a claim through legal channels, all of which have now been given to my credit card issuer.

I do not appreciate the wording of your post.  How dare you assume I have not read this thread, that I havent tried to call, or assume that I cannot afford a phone call?

Hi Ernie,

On a lighter note. I'm after the instruction sheets for an o gauge Cooper Craft 04 5 plank open. Can anyone oblige.
Many thanks.

It may be worth mentioning that the 7mm Coopercraft range is not owned by the same guy.  I will have to scan in the two sides of the instructions and pm them to you or something. It may take a day or two, but most likely later tonight.

Best wishes,

Ray

I do dare to assume because it would seem rather strange after now 566 posts you haven't worked out and read that he isn't getting emails.

As for read certificates they mean all!

You haven't worked out that those who have tried to ring have kept tryin g and in a few cases gotten through.

I know from experience that I got through about a month ago on my second try for the night.

It would also appear that others have said on more than one occasion before, that the likihood of recouping monies through Trading Standards is not high.

It has also been shown that those who have persisted and tried over a period of time have gotten through and dare I say even resolved the issue of the finances.

That is why I dared to post the way I did.

The continual complaints, have gone full circle and we are going through them again :scratchhead:

Khris

Guest 40-something

I do dare to assume because it would seem rather strange after now 566 posts you haven't worked out and read that he isn't getting emails.

As for read certificates they mean ###### all!

You haven't worked out that those who have tried to ring have kept tryin g and in a few cases gotten through.

I know from experience that I got through about a month ago on my second try for the night.

It would also appear that others have said on more than one occasion before, that the likihood of recouping monies through Trading Standards is not high.

It has also been shown that those who have persisted and tried over a period of time have gotten through and dare I say even resolved the issue of the finances.

That is why I dared to post the way I did.

The continual complaints, have gone full circle and we are going through them again :scratchhead:

Khris

Assume away because you know nothing about me or what I have done to contact this trader, but for the record just for you...

I knew fine well that he is not answering emails, it is pretty evident.  I dont have the time to sit on the phone trying to get through to someone, although with over 10 calls made at various times of the day and week, including the times people have said there is a better chance of an answer, I have given up.  Along with a recorded letter sent to the trader, and proof it was delivered (with an undecipherable signature), I have gathered evidence for my card issuer to show that I had done all I could to contact them.

True, Trading Standards do not bother about small traders like that, I merely contacted them as extra evidence for my card issuer, but if more people do contact them then they may just take a bit of notice.

I will get my money refunded in due course, I am not worried about that, what does worry me is that is that some people on this forum are defending Cooper Craft and blaming the customers.  Why?  The trader is taking money under false pretences.  There are probably a number of RMWeb members who are having problems obtaining items from Cooper Craft who are completely unaware of this thread.  I for sure am not aware of all the threads in this forum.

I have previously ordered from Cooper Craft with no problems, and one of my friends had ordered items in February from them and received the full order.  I would not have ordered any of the ranges he states he has problems with on the first page as I know he cannot supply them, but nothing is mentioned on the website about non-availability of the Blacksmith range.

....some people on this forum are defending Cooper Craft and blaming the customers.  Why?......

I don't think that anyone is defending this trader; they're just surprised that a list member would complain here, having sent money in advance when even the trader's website encourages potential customers not to do so.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I expect the answer will be cant get the parts for the machine....

Will someone ask him what he needs for the moulds so we can find the suitable replacement machine for him between us and hopefully put an end to all this!

Guest 40-something

As Coopercraft are listed as being at expoEM and Railex,it is an opportunity to speak to him directly. I for one will be doing that.

Would you mind asking him why he is not responding to emails/picking up the phone or even getting his website updated to say nothing is available!

I expect the answer will be cant get the parts for the machine....

Will someone ask him what he needs for the moulds so we can find the suitable replacement machine for him between us and hopefully put an end to all this!

Is it just the machine though, or do the moulds also need replacing?......of the few things I have been able to purchase recently (through a model shop who didn't buy directly) there was a HUGE amount if 'flash' on them.....

If he were amenable to it I for one would consider getting together with a few others to buy him a new machine (or two - the second hand price, from what I have seen (admittedly it might not fit all the moulds)) so there would be a spare, for parts ...... Just give us a few (hundred !! Kits in exchange) .... Sadly, given his lack of communication I don't think it would happen......

Archived