News from Cooper Craft/Blacksmith/Slater's/Kirk LNER/Mailcoach Kits.

Kits from Somerset

The whole ownership thing needs replacing. But nobody's got the money.

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree - just wish I'd stocked up years ago when they were freely available (some of the ones in my stash have the price on - £1.24 !!!!!.......

The problem is that everyone here is assuming that his business model is to produce kits from the moulds he purchased.

However it could have been to simply sell existing stock and when that is gone he is also gone. The moulds and the incredible moulding machine could simply have been baggage that came with the deal. He probably never had any intention of producing any more kits.

Is it just the machine though, or do the moulds also need replacing?......of the few things I have been able to purchase recently (through a model shop who didn't buy directly) there was a HUGE amount if 'flash' on them.....

If he were amenable to it I for one would consider getting together with a few others to buy him a new machine (or two - the second hand price, from what I have seen (admittedly it might not fit all the moulds)) so there would be a spare, for parts ...... Just give us a few (hundred !! Kits in exchange) .... Sadly, given his lack of communication I don't think it would happen......

I am hearing that the recent stuff is full of flash so I suspect that even if the machine was replaced the moulds themselves may need to be redone.  I am coming to the opinion that its a lost cause and a better option is to start from scratch and get new moulds done of the relevant models needed to modern standards and start afresh but at 60k+ a model (one price ive heard based on 250k for a 4 car model) its not a cheap option.

I am coming to the opinion that its a lost cause and a better option is to start from scratch and get new moulds done of the relevant models needed to modern standards and start afresh but at 60k+ a model (one price ive heard based on 250k for a 4 car model) its not a cheap option.

If you look at the whole range, with the possible exception of some of the ex-Slaters stuff, there is little enough left that has any long term viability. Bachmann and Hornby have taken the meat from his BR Mk1s, LNER and SR kit sales, and the rest is just a long tail.

£60-70k will get you a mould for a carriage, but it will give you a RTR type moulding rather than a kit, which would be much less expensive. 

Would you mind asking him why he is not responding to emails/picking up the phone or even getting his website updated to say nothing is available!

He can only respond to emails that he can see/read.

But why update the website in such a way? He clearly has some stock left or he wouldn't have any reason to turn up at shows with a stand. Also we are assuming that he knows how to update a website (how many of us can do such things?) or that he has to pay some 3rd party to update it for him (what incentive does he have to spend money on such a lost cause?)

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree - just wish I'd stocked up years ago when they were freely available (some of the ones in my stash have the price on - £1.24 !!!!!.......

At that sort of price, it is no wonder there is nothing to be gained by producing any new stock ;) What would a realistic price be in today's money?

Guest 40-something

He can only respond to emails that he can see/read.

But why update the website in such a way? He clearly has some stock left or he wouldn't have any reason to turn up at shows with a stand. Also we are assuming that he knows how to update a website (how many of us can do such things?) or that he has to pay some 3rd party to update it for him (what incentive does he have to spend money on such a lost cause?)

At that sort of price, it is no wonder there is nothing to be gained by producing any new stock ;) What would a realistic price be in today's money?

I can see where you are coming from Kenton, but as a trader he shouldn't be offering the email function on his website, in fact he shouldn't have a functioning website if he isn't prepared to act up on it.  He could find himself in some very very serious trouble for taking money and not honouring orders or not returning monies paid!  In effect, he is breaking the law, simple as that.

I had emailed him via the website, and via email address held by WorldPay (a googlemail address), and again no answer, but its all evidence for getting my monies back.

If I was able to get to a show he is trading at, I would be having some very very stern words with him, although going by what others have said, I'd be banging my head against a brick wall!!!

If everybody who is owed money by Mr. Dunn, if you have phoned/emailed/written with no response, if you were to make a combined approach to trading standards/ small claims court/ the Mafia, you may get a result, but if you are persistent and forceful enough as an individual you will get your money back. If you give up after the first couple of failures, then he is winning. You have to understand the 'rural Somerset mindset', it does not work the same as much of the rest of mankind (still on the basis of 'possession is 9/10 of the law.')  There is no need for money to be paid out to fix the machine, if folk send him cash and he doesn't have to send them the goods.

There is now virtually no value in the businesses, compared to when he purchased them. Afaik, it would cost more to transport the machinery to the scrap yard than it would be worth. By now, I expect the brass moulds are only suitable for scrap, too. Maybe there is a recovery scheme involving the National Lottery, I can't see anything else working. Does anyone honestly think that if the machine was fixed, it would work for very long? It could be interesting, however, to see what excuse would come up next.

Best wishes,

Ray

Archived