News from Cooper Craft/Blacksmith/Slater's/Kirk LNER/Mailcoach Kits.

Kits from Somerset

If payments are taken online by an intermediary such as PayPal or in Coopercarft's case WorldPay, the customer is in effect asking for their money to be transferred to the seller's account. There is no effective way for the seller to defer the payments until the goods are ready to be sent out.

Ultrascale manage it.

Ultrascale manage it.

IIRC Ultrascale take an immediate deposit and hold the credit card details to take the payment when the goods are ready.  This causes a different problem if, in the meantime, the credit card has expired which is quite likely given the 6 months leadtime.  This is a different system whereby the retailer applies for the payment rather than using a system that takes the payment online. Peter

IIRC Ultrascale take an immediate deposit and hold the credit card details to take the payment when the goods are ready.  This causes a different problem if, in the meantime, the credit card has expired which is quite likely given the 6 months leadtime.  This is a different system whereby the retailer applies for the payment rather than using a system that takes the payment online. Peter

Ultrascale manage that as well - effectively.

Ultrascale manage that as well - effectively.

Yes, if the original card details fail, you are still allowed to go back into the order system and correct it.

It is increasingly common for retailers to retain your card number and details as described above.

It is a clear term of my merchant processing system that I will not retain card details (other than the last 4 digits and exiiry date) after the transaction has been processed, for security reasons. If I should permit- negligently or deliberately- the card details to be known to third parties then as a company I become directly liable for any and all losees.

If I were to give my card number to a retailer with a view to them retaining it for six months then I would want to know a) who has access to it and b) whether it is securely locked away in a safe.

DISCLAIMER

NB the above isn't a criticism of any retailer mentioned above as I have not used them. Just a report on how MY card system is governed which may or may not have any relevance to other companies. My viewpoint is my own and if it is of use, read and consider. If it is not then I apologise for taking up about 20 seconds of your time. I don't want to get into a debate about whether this is the right or wrong way. It is what it is for me, and maybe others
(I apologise for the long disclaimer but some people seem to assume that if you make an observation that means you automatically disagree with theirs, which is not the case)

It is increasingly common for retailers to retain your card number and details as described above.

It is a clear term of my merchant processing system that I will not retain card details (other than the last 4 digits and exiiry date) after the transaction has been processed, for security reasons. If I should permit- negligently or deliberately- the card details to be known to third parties then as a company I become directly liable for any and all losees.

If I were to give my card number to a retailer with a view to them retaining it for six months then I would want to know a) who has access to it and B) whether it is securely locked away in a safe.

DISCLAIMER

NB the above isn't a criticism of any retailer mentioned above as I have not used them. Just a report on how MY card system is governed which may or may not have any relevance to other companies. My viewpoint is my own and if it is of use, read and consider. If it is not then I apologise for taking up about 20 seconds of your time. I don't want to get into a debate about whether this is the right or wrong way. It is what it is for me, and maybe others

(I apologise for the long disclaimer but some people seem to assume that if you make an observation that means you automatically disagree with theirs, which is not the case)

I don't mind my card details being retained by a retailer, provided it is only the retailer that has access to them for repeat business. At the moment I've not had a fraudulent transaction because of retained card details, but the moment I do, I will be stopping companies retaining them!

Phil

The problem is that the first time it happens is usually too late. I don't mean a retailer posing a risk, but imagine they are broken into- your card details would get a good price on the internet. Leaving your number around is no different to leaving your card about as far as your bank is concerned.

As a point of note, I have 2 normal bank accounts (personal not business ones). One that has any money that I do not immediately need, and a second one that I have solely for making card payments, and normally only has enough in just to cover any purchases I make over the internet or from suppliers I do not know well enough to trust- that way if anyone does get my number, they can't do much harm with it.

It probably depends on whether you regard IT systems as a tool that can be configured to meet the requirements of your business, or strange magic that cannot be fathomed. 

It's more likely that you need an IT expert that is willing and able to get to know your business well enough to go off and design a bespoke system that is affordable. 

I think we're getting rather off topic here. What we want is for the owner of the business to respond. Unfortunately, despite being notified at the weekend of the comments and Andy Y trying, he has not yet come back. I wonder of there's any response to refunds being given?

• RMweb Premium

Even if we take the charitable line that this is a business owned by a well intentioned proprietor who badly needs help and an injection of professionalism in running a business my feeling is that it I'd avoid ordering anything and only do business at shows where you see what you are buying and walk away with the goods. There are enough good businesses to support who will deliver their products or even if you wait a long time they take payment when goods are shipped.

• RMweb Gold

I don't mind my card details being retained by a retailer, provided it is only the retailer that has access to them for repeat business. At the moment I've not had a fraudulent transaction because of retained card details, but the moment I do, I will be stopping companies retaining them!

Phil

Bit late then!

• RMweb Gold

I haven't had any contact I'm afraid.

Well thank you Andy for trying, we all do appreciate your efforts. I cannot understand why he hasn't responded, bar knowing that he is in the wrong.

Such as shame, because as has been said earlier his reputation is being eroded by this.

Kind regards,

Nick.

As Brinkly says "Such as shame, because as has been said earlier his reputation is being eroded by this."

I have often bought brands he sells from other retailers but though I have no quarrel with the man everyone is writing about here, I shall certainly never buy direct from him - and I suspect that goes for a number of our fellow members.

(Edit - spelling only)

I have just sent him an email on his website, requesting that my order be cancelled and a full and immediate refund is given.... - but don't hold your breath waiting for a reply!!

Will try to contact him by phone (again) tomorrow, in the meantime I have managed to get one of the items i wanted from Gaugemaster.com

Regrds

SIGTECH (Steve).

I have just sent him an email on his website, requesting that my order be cancelled and a full and immediate refund is given.... - but don't hold your breath waiting for a reply!!

Will try to contact him by phone (again) tomorrow, in the meantime I have managed to get one of the items i wanted from Gaugemaster.com

Regrds

SIGTECH (Steve).

Apparantly he never reads his emails, lord knows I am still waiting for a reply to one I sent many months ago (August I think) and was told at the time dont bother waiting for a reply, ring him which is something I cannot do.

• RMweb Gold

RECORDED DELIVERY. It's the best way. If you need to instigate a chargeback or even a small claims court, you will be required to do so.

If you ever do need a SCC, don't forget your pre-action protocol!

You can just send by first class post but obtain proof of posting. Courts send out documents posted 1st class and they are deemed served after 2 days

The problem with recorded is that a all too often a signature is not obtained, anything which fits through the letter box at home is pushed through without getting a signature. Easier for me than having to go to sorting office but when I have looked online they have not shown as delivered. Special delivery is more accurately logged but more expensive

Archived