News from Cooper Craft/Blacksmith/Slater's/Kirk LNER/Mailcoach Kits.

Kits from Somerset

I have been onto Gaugemasters web site but unfortunately they have sold out of the kits I am after. Does any one know of an online retailer who has any of the 20t NER hoppers? I am after about 5. 

I wonder if this is the way that the last of the kits will be sourced and then we are down to ebay or Manufacturing comming back on stream?

No doubt there is cupboards full of unbuilt kits so may be it is time they are built or passed onto some one who will. 

I have been onto Gaugemasters web site but unfortunately they have sold out of the kits I am after. Does any one know of an online retailer who has any of the 20t NER hoppers? I am after about 5. 

I wonder if this is the way that the last of the kits will be sourced and then we are down to ebay or Manufacturing comming back on stream?

No doubt there is cupboards full of unbuilt kits so may be it is time they are built or passed onto some one who will. 

Ebay unfortunately, and ive just missed out on a quad art set unfortunately.

Thanks blue max. I have 3 of theirs to buil soon. I have just dug out the 3 that I built longer ago than I care to remember looking to up grade them with Bill Bedford bits... Finish my other project first then these 6 wagons might get a look in!

I was just after a couple of the Cooper Craft accessories packs - 0ne of the 2006 GWR platforms trollies (x2), and one of the 2009 station nameboards and letters (4sets). I have now managed to get the 2008 signalbox nameplate and letters from Gaugemaster.com.

SIGTECH (Steve)

I can see he's gong to have his card processing facilities removed- particularly with MBNA involved- MBNA and AmEx are two card providers that you don't want to mess around. Years back I worked for a large PLC that had many chargebacks and they were very slow to respond to them- those two card companies were very strict indeed.

Not yet mate, as the man refuses to do the right thing I am just waiting till next week and MBNA will take it from him. Shame.

As you say, it's a shame.

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately the coopercraft stuff is still easily sourced on eBay unbuilt at less than or equal to the normal price.

The real missing kits for me are the blacksmith and slatters ranges, particularly as I have found the slatters coaches are selling for a premium and from my experence have contained a few dodgy parts.

i fancy a few toplights, but unless the range re appears, I suspect I will be waiting a while

The kits I am specifically chasing are the NER 20t hoppers. THough I think my modelling will need to kick up a gear to finish the things I already have.... so I guess if it is  6months or more to find and purchase them I might be ready to build them!

This is starting to look like a wish list! If Paul Dunn reads this thread you may get some reward for your prayers, but somehow I don't think so.

I emailed him earlier today in the hope that I might get;

• a reply,
  • the items I ordered, or
  • a refund

I don't anticipate any of those will happen..

• RMweb Premium

My nosiness stemmed from the fact, that I know has a degree of truth in it, 80% of the profit is made out of 20% of the range. He only needs to identify that 20% and get them sorted and ensure their continuing availability to turn round the cash flow. My Gut feeling was the NE Wooden Hopper from the Slater's range was in the 20% along with the Kirk Coaches that are not done rtr.

I'm not certain all the plastic dies are compatible with the injection machine(s) he has. A range of etched kits without access to the casting is in my opinion dead in the water. With the smaller demand these days for etched kits getting the patterns made and cast could easily wipe out any profit.

Roger

Roger,

there are a number of small businesses within the modelling community that will do contract casting, so the etched kits shouldn't be at risk. Components to complete the kits may be available elsewhere (e.g. Roxey, David Geen, Branchlines) so if they were supplied as etches only, with details of where the bits can be sourced, then at least some modellers who buy them. So some income for minimum effort.

I fear however that Paul Dunn has taken on more than he can manage and doesn't know how to find his way through that. He is also creating an image/reputation that might also prevent other suppliers from wishing to deal with him.

As you say however, there are those products in the range that will generate the largest sales, income and profit, which is where he should be focussed. However, this has been going on so long, I don't see any signs of things getting markedly better.

Jol

I emailed him earlier today in the hope that I might get;

• a reply,
I don't anticipate any of those will happen..
In the vague assumption:

He will get the email; he will know how to download it; he will be able to see it among all the other unread emails; he will bother to read it; he even cares about it; ....

It amazes me that anyone still bothers.

• RMweb Premium

You're quite right Jol, but I don't think he has the patterns. If you don't have the ability to make your own patterns it's expensive getting them made, especially when you are dealing with a range that is close to life expired.

A lot of people pay far too much for cottage industries. They imagine that even if they don't add to it, it will carry on providing the same turnover endlessly. It won't, they are just supplying the life support. You've only got to ask yourself why Slaters disposed of their 4mm wagons. I think they said they wanted to concentrate on 0 gauge. If it had been making megabucks they would still have it.

Roger

• Administrators

True Bill, but a range of good quality, low cost, plastic kits that provide entry level kit building opportunities is something that would be a shame to lose.

I'd agree. With the exception of the Bedford lorry, the range was well detailed and easy to assemble in both 4 & 7mm scales. Still easily as good as modern Parkside.

The sprues of tools were especially useful and there's nothing to replace them on the market at the moment.

True Bill, but a range of good quality, low cost, plastic kits that provide entry level kit building opportunities is something that would be a shame to lose.

Yes, but the plastic ranges have not generated enough profit to allow for the proper maintenance/replacement of the machinery. I wonder if this is not another 'Sharman' type problem, where the decisions taken by the original owners make production all but unprofitable when taken out of the original context.

Archived