News from Cooper Craft/Blacksmith/Slater's/Kirk LNER/Mailcoach Kits.

Kits from Somerset

As all I really want is some complete rakes of cattle wagons for the magnum opus, (about 30 of them) I've now invested in a load of plastic card from Eileen's and am looking at mass producing underframes in brass.

The Maplins starter etching kit may be on the shopping list. Reading up about etching in various MRJs certainly will be a prerequisite, as will visiting the relevant areas of RMweb.

I emailed many months ago too, having seen the note on the website, to enquire whether the Kirk 8835 LNER 51' non-corridor 4 compartment push pull trailer was available, or affected by the lack of machine. I likewise had no response, which is a shame.

There is one currently on ebay that has reached over £26.50 including P&P and still has 2.5 days to go - when the RRP is £15!! There is evidently demand out there...

It does have the infamous 'rare' description though, maybe the seller is onto something.

As all I really want is some complete rakes of cattle wagons for the magnum opus, (about 30 of them) I've now invested in a load of plastic card from Eileen's and am looking at mass producing underframes in brass.

The Maplins starter etching kit may be on the shopping list. Reading up about etching in various MRJs certainly will be a prerequisite, as will visiting the relevant areas of RMweb.

I wouldn't consider doing your own etching. There are several etching businesses that will do it for you at reasonable unit prices for the quantity you are taking about, PPD, PEC, Grainge and Hodder.

If you produce the whole thing as an etch (look at one of the PC LNWR Prize cattle wagons as an example) you then have a kit that you could sell to defray your costs. That's how several of the etched kit suppliers got started.

I wouldn't consider doing your own etching. There are several etching businesses that will do it for you at reasonable unit prices for the quantity you are taking about, PPD, PEC, Grainge and Hodder.

If you produce the whole thing as an etch (look at one of the PC LNWR Prize cattle wagons as an example) you then have a kit that you could sell to defray your costs. That's how several of the etched kit suppliers got started.

Thanks  may just do that.

Get it right and you will almost certainly have a customer or two on here. The problem though is rarely the brass etch it more revolves around getting the castings (or at least identifying a reliable supplier for them).

Of course not everyone who is looking for a plastic kit is going to be happy with a metal one (though I for one prefer metal over plastic everytime)

Of course not everyone who is looking for a plastic kit is going to be happy with a metal one (though I for one prefer metal over plastic everytime)

And me.

Although in the current context any damned kit would be nice, if it weren't for the quality letdown.

Of course,  someone may come along and produce a more saleable resin kit, or even a RTR just as you are getting your kit to market.

Of course, someone may come along and produce a more saleable resin kit

But then I wouldn't be buying any. As for RTR then that's a chance but they seem to be more focused (as always) on more recent prototypes.

Or are you worried by potential competition ;) ;)

• RMweb Gold

The GWR 4 plank, when assembled per instructions, has 4 planks on the outside and only 3 on the inside. The floor is far too high. :nono:

That's a trait of all the open wagons in the CC range. Best hidden by a load or a tarp. It's most obvious on the 4 & 5 plankers. 

I wasn't actually, I've never been a fan of the Slaters PO wagons as the sides are too thick and lack interior detail. I hadn't realised the Cooper Craft kits were so offensivley inaccurate - I just thought they looked OK and went together very well. Obviously there are some wagons I need to remove from the stock box and smash up now...

Phil, I have done a bit of research overnight and had a fairly thorough search of google. I cannot find anything that indicates that mind control is possible. This is a polite way of saying that for the time being you can have your own thoughts and can keep your wagons. The minute I find that mind control is possible though, I will make you mulch your Coopercraft kits and probably a few other things. You have been warned!

Craigw

Well plenty of Slaters and Coopercraft kits for sale on a few stands at Doncaster today. Managed to pick up half a dozen NER P7 Coal Hoppers, might go back tomorrow and pick up the other 4 or 5 I saw if they are unsold. In hindsight I should have got them all today really!!

• RMweb Gold

Rare! You're not kidding. You will tread in rocking horse pooh, ride Shergar and have a pint with Lord Lucan before you get an email from this fella.

Any more developments on this Colin with regarding a refund on your order.

I have been following this thread with interest and last Friday,6th Feb, I telephoned Cooper Craft to enquire about the availability of a Blacksmiths, Lima Siphon detail kit.

He had them in stock, said the man on the end of the phone, so I ordered one via his web site.

Thursday 12th Feb and nothing had arrived in the post so I telephoned again and the man at Cooper Craft, Mr Dunn I guess said he would post it to me that afternoon.

Today Saturday 14th Feb it arrived so my scepticism was unfounded in this case.

Only £7.50 risked but it tuned up.

[/url]">http://http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Debe2233/media/MODEL%20STUFF/DSC_0101_zpsvzjmqolt.jpg.html'>DSC_0101_zpsvzjmqolt.jpg

Archived