TRACTION 209

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

%20Cover%20209.jpg

TRACTION issue 209  will be on sale on Friday 4th January  and features the following articles:

The Class 205-207 DEMUs in action

Andrew James looks at the performance of the Southern Region’s diesel electric multiple units.

Southern Suburban

Colin Boocock recalls that the history of the Southern 4SUB and 4EPB electric multiple units was a complex and interesting one, even if the units themselves were often overlooked by enthusiasts.

Toton Times – Wednesday 11th December 1991: Part 2

Alexander Fisher uses official BR documents to show a typical day at a major diesel depot.

Chasing the Class 73s

To commemorate the 50th birthday of the iconic Southern Region electro-diesels, Keith Widdowson recalls his time chasing Class 73s.

East Anglian Diesels in the 1970s and 1980s

Gavin Morrison delves back into his photograph archive to show the days of main line diesels in the Eastern Counties.

Cornwall 1975 – The Penultimate Summer of the ‘Westerns’

Ian Harrison spent some his summer holiday in Cornwall and takes us back to a sunny June day at Par watching the varied motive power at this junction station including, of course, the iconic ‘Westerns’.

South Humberside Class 20s in 1992

In 1992 John Dedman visited the Branetby and Scunthorpe area to photograph the Class 20s going about their unglamorous task of hauling freight trains in northern Lincolnshire.

A Lowland Holiday

Jeff Nicholls visited Perthshire in 1982 for a family holiday but still managed to fit in some time for railway photography in this part of Scotland.

TRACTION MODELLING

Bay platforms

Paul Lunn suggests that adding a bay platform to a model station can make layouts visually and operationally more interesting.

Mortomley

Inspired by the recently released Heljan Waggon & Maschinenbau railbus Chris and Steve Saxby have built a small East Anglian layout.

DCC Conversion of ‘Le Shuttle’

Roger Miller shows us another of his N Scale DCC conversions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for those comments! The more I hear about what readers want to see in Traction the better. It's good to hear readers are finding interesting the broad content that I'm trying to maintain and develop. I remember receiving an email just after taking over the editorship of Traction which read, "There are only so many articles about Westerns/ Deltics/ Class 50s that you want to read." That set me thinking!!

The post Modernisation Plan history of BR (and Irish railways) is so broad that there is a lot more of interest than just locomotives and you can expect an increasingly wide coverage. 

Stephen Rabone

Archived