Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

I found this while browsing Flickr

7129533585_b2ec4338f2_b.jpg13CT08-36a by Vernon Sidlow, on Flickr

Regards

Ian

I would be very interested to know what the first van on this rake is with the X frames?

Beyond that it looks like a Southern Brake Van B, and then MK1 GUVS and a MK1 brake. I think so at least, but I am sure others here will have superior knowledge of the vans. That said the third van looks to have a different profile from MK1s, but perhaps that is juxtaposition to the vans in front of it.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

• RMweb Premium

I would be very interested to know what the first van on this rake is with the X frames?

Beyond that it looks like a Southern Brake Van B, and then MK1 GUVS and a MK1 brake. I think so at least, but I am sure others here will have superior knowledge of the vans. That said the third van looks to have a different profile from MK1s, but perhaps that is juxtaposition to the vans in front of it.

Jamie

Jamie, the third vehicle may be a Thompson ex LNER 6 wheel BG?

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Jamie, the third vehicle may be a Thompson ex LNER 6 wheel BG?

Baz

The pendants are revolting; actually a BZ, the Z denoting the 6 wheels and B the handbrake.  I believe these were the last 6 wheelers built in the UK but some milk tanks may post date them.  They did not have a stove AFAIK and were speed restricted to 75mph, as was the LMS 'Stove R' BZ 6 wheeler, which did have gangways, and the Southern 4 wheeled BY and PMV/CCT types.

I recall some surviving in to blue livery in service in the 70s, but never rode in one.

Thank you for all the replies to my question.

I really should have looked at how long the vans were, and not assumed they were all bogie vans, that said I would never have worked out exactly what they were.

The depth of knowledge shared so freely on the forum is always a joy to experience.

Thank you again.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 17/08/2018 at 22:30, w124bob said:

Regarding 5J42 I think the train is coming towards Manchester, so could well be an ex Preston working. Several parcel trains ran as class 5 at the time although mostly in the form of DPU or DMU workings . The 23.00 to and 00.18 from Oldham Clegg st ran as 6J09 for instance. I've got a WTT for the area circa 1973, l'll do some research.

Is that a Tartan Arrow CCT behind the Class 25?

Is anyone aware of any other pictures of those CCTs?

45 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Is that a Tartan Arrow CCT behind the Class 25?

Is anyone aware of any other pictures of those CCTs?

Yes it is, there is a good photo of one of the LMS style 50ft BG's in this livery on p.30 of this thread, I'm sure I have seen others on here too but forget where.

Edit: First post on this thread has photos too: 

Edited by Signaller69
Add to info.

On 08/08/2018 at 16:42, Porcy Mane said:

Worse things happened at sea  Southend.

post-508-0-91675100-1533742935_thumb.jpg

P

What an unusual shot of “Falcon” on the tracks......

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

An amazing photo, incredible that the plane didn't plough up the track and bring a load of the steelwork down!

Anyway as a first post on here, just to say how much I've appreciated, enjoyed and learned from this parcels train thread, I particularly like the piecemeal nature of these workings, an of course their sheer 'filthyness!..I am incidentally collecting together some wagons myself for just such an enterprise!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The service was inaugurated on 14th April 1967, so steam is not impossible assuming the livery dates to that, but I would have thought unlikely for a long distance service with no stops between London and Glasgow; few steam locos would have been suitable for working through by that date.  As originally instituted, the service consisted of NPCCS and containers on conflats.  

Cue avalanche of  photos of Black 5s or Britannias working the train between Crewe and Carlisle just to prove me wrong!

• Like 1

Great find sir!  So Litchurch Lane was decking-out the CCTs in their shortbread finery (lovely local detail!!!), and on the basis that services commenced in April '67, Kingmoor had eight months of deathsteam left, so anyone modelling that part of the world has plenty of justification for the two co-existing.

I know I do.  Now where's eBay....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1