Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Well is that or an empty bullion van.

Strange to see the cream van though. There was only two of them built so seeing one in a train is lucky perchance.

Baz

At least one of them lasted until the late 60's early 70's, so probably a useful van.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2019 at 07:14, Barry O said:

Is the 4th vehicle behind 46141 an ex LMS bogie "Cream"  van? 

Baz

4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Are you talking about the train behind 46140 (top) or 46141 (middle)? 

I did identify which loco....and it is not a GUV...

Baz

I'll wager that the Pullman car behind the 73 was probably readied for inclusion in a Derby Day Royal Train Formation. 1979 Derby was run on June 6th.

There are quite a few pics of Eastern region Pullman cars in such trains.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

I'll wager that the Pullman car behind the 73 was probably readied for inclusion in a Derby Day Royal Train Formation. 1979 Derby was run on June 6th.

I am sure tat photo has been discussed in the past and the conclusion regarding the Pullman it was returning north after having work done on it at Preston Park.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am sure tat photo has been discussed in the past and the conclusion regarding the Pullman it was returning north after having work done on it at Preston Park.

Although isn't that train heading south?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

Yes. It's on the RVL, photographed from the roof of Essex House. 

Yep. And there's two clues in the pic. The lines through East Croydon run north-south and the shadows are short so it was taken middayish meaning the sun was due south. With the slight angle on the shadow from the bridge being the near side (to the foreground/photographer) indicating that is the north side of the bridge.

The clincher is I used to drive over the bridge twice a day. The white car on the right edge is under the entrance/exit barriers canopy to the multi storey car park where I had a season ticket. And the car park was on the west side of the line (although it has now been demolished).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

As far as I know it was heading for Brighton as the Seagulls used it for the team transport attached to the main train. 

This is is my caption for the picture.....

Taken from the now demolished Essex House at Croydon, an unidentified class 73 heads south with the 1330 Bricklayers Arms to Brighton vans. A Mk1 Metro-Cammell Pullman car is the first vehicle behind the loco. This is believed to be E315 'Heron' enroute to Brighton to convey the football team to an away game
This part of Croydon has changed a lot over the years, looks quite nice here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

As far as I know it was heading for Brighton as the Seagulls used it for the team transport attached to the main train. 

This is is my caption for the picture.....

Taken from the now demolished Essex House at Croydon, an unidentified class 73 heads south with the 1330 Bricklayers Arms to Brighton vans. A Mk1 Metro-Cammell Pullman car is the first vehicle behind the loco. This is believed to be E315 'Heron' enroute to Brighton to convey the football team to an away game
This part of Croydon has changed a lot over the years, looks quite nice here.

The Pullman car is almost B&HA team colours !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Didn't Preston Park close in 1963, and as E315E was an ER vehicle York would have done any work on it. All ours for the Hull Pullman went to York.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 45125 said:

Didn't Preston Park close in 1963

Well yes - but a decade later, in the small hours, a man would still ring Croydon Control in Essex House describing himself as 'Pullman Car, Brighton' and seeking the morning's disposition of Bep and Big units. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3