Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Premium

One of my first jobs as a Relief Clerk at Brighton was being trained up to operate the switchboard. I vaguely remember Pullman car shed being on the board, although the Buffet cars calls went to Travellers Fare by then.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29/01/2020 at 21:10, Metr0Land said:

St Fagans and Chinley according to the caption

The Cl.37 is westbound (down) at St. Georges-super-Ely, St. Fagans is just over a mile behind the photographer who must have had local knowledge to find this spot.

The photographer is more or less on the former Barry Railway viaduct trackbed (now the A4232), 

I was at St Fagans LC the night in 1983 when contractors blew up the Barry viaduct.

A rogue stone went through a window of The Greendown Inn which was in the village shown here, a good half mile from the viaduct.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 03/03/2020 at 18:53, montyburns56 said:

I love the atmosphere of this shot with the open doors, cobbled road and the rusty old footbridge in the background.

Class 08 08340 - Wigan North Western

Class 08 08340 - Wigan North Western.

This siding was in use right upto the demise of the newspaper traffic, one regular working being the Victoria to Southport papers. In my day this was a class 127 working, the unit would couple to a DMU at Southport ,crew and 127 would then return as the first passenger train back to Victoria via the  Atherton line. Sadly I can't remember whether the out bound working was via Atherton or Bolton, I suspect via Atherton as Bolton was served by a loco hauled working to Preston. The picture at Eccles could be the empties SO Glasgow to Redbank as this was a daytime working and occasionally returned via Golborrne and Parkside, but the train looks a little shorter than the normal 12plus vans.

Edited by w124bob
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

The green 40 at Verney Junction shot is utterly delightful! When they were taken off the WCML expresses once the wires had been switched on, they were used more and more on secondary routes on all sorts of traffic, numerous parcels turns such as this one and even three coach stoppers on the Rugby - Peterborough services.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

All those trains full of parcel vans.

These days more parcels than ever are on the move at any time.

Unfortunately usually delivered by a driver on a zero hours contract in a tatty transit.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8