Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Premium

Any ideas as to the identity of the 40 ? I'm seeing 40 03x .....definately an ex-named example as you can see the nameplate fixings position.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Any ideas as to the identity of the 40 ? I'm seeing 40 03x .....definately an ex-named example as you can see the nameplate fixings position.

lf you click on the pic, it takes you to Flickr, which says 40030.

No idea if that’s correct though !:rolleyes:

cheers,

Phil.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

This one seems to feature two SR bogie vans, but is dated 1985. Were they really still in use at this date?

There a number still around at the end of 1986. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srguvandb

A guard whom writes on a website - and quite possibly on here - has proven via his official notebooks that the condemnation dates published for some of these is incorrect by several years.

Paul

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Top photo is Cardiff Central in late afternoon from the position of the sun, and is therefore probably the Cardiff-Southampton, a train that was loaded on the ‘Riverside’ platforms and brought over to platform 2 by the down side pilot; the loco was already there waiting for it.  IIRC this was not a Canton job; probably Bath Road or Westbury. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

31455290942_846d2c3b3c_c.jpg

Now THAT is how to photograph trains at Dawlish!  None of this mid-summers day, three-quarter view, sun over the shoulder rubbish.  I can almost feel the drizzle running off the end of my nose.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Now THAT is how to photograph trains at Dawlish!  None of this mid-summers day, three-quarter view, sun over the shoulder rubbish.  I can almost feel the drizzle running off the end of my nose.

Now that looks like the summer holidays I spent in Devon.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

... with the centre lower step looking like an axlebox.   Could well be, with the lower part of the doors not visible.   I was seeing windows.  The roof vent pattern fits and that makes more sense.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about converting one of my derelict Airfix B set E129s into a K40 with Comet sides.  It has already sacrificed it's body to a cut'n'shut 'layout coach' ersatz all 3rd numbered as a C63.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Talking of BR blue, how about the train heading to Exeter in this Flickr image by Robert Carroll

806_1972

I know the Fruit D vans were used on the Barnstaple line for general parcels work in the 70s and there's at least 2 here plus a BG & GUV. Not sure what's going behind the goods store, might be another Fruit D but seems a bit taller; there's a hint of outside framing so maybe an ex-SR van.

Nice inspiration for my fledgling North Devon line layout anyway. :)

• Like 11