Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

Good Afternoon all parcels van experts (and other not so expert readers like me!)

I hope you will excuse this hijacking of the thread, but it is a parcels van related question:-

For my 00 Maidenhead area, particularly the relief lines and High Wycombe branch layout,  I am trying to locate 1960/2 photos of the 2010 Maidenhead to Reading Parcels or the inbound 0540 Reading to Princes Risborough Parcels, or vans that were in these consists.

The vans used started in the morning from Paddington, Chippenham and Reading meeting at Reading and Maidenhead, and from Princes Risborough moved on to Aylesbury, and then returned to Maidenhead in ones and twos on the afternoon Aylesbury /High Wycombe to Maidenhead/Slough/Paddington passenger trains, so any views of parcels vans on these movements or at these locations would be useful?

Many thanks, keep up the good work

I have enjoyed a quick run through the early and more recent posts to this thread, and intend to return to look at more!

Best regards

Paul

With considerable thanks to Simon Castens,  Justin Edwards and Robert Carroll the following document has recently been scanned and made available. Please do take note of the copyright statement on the first page of this document.

British Railways Western Region, Marshalling and Loading Instructions, Parcels Trains and Freight Trains Conveying Parcels Vans
Commencing 5" May 1969: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P6LnxBfM7fx96eT5AtWtPDbrPv5aqW5Q/view?usp=sharing

I have asked for permission before posting this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/05/2020 at 15:29, montyburns56 said:

I think this is actually at the former Manchester Exchange platform.

Manchester Victoria, 45130 (13.00 Liverpool Lime Street - Newcastle)  09/11/86.

It is, Exchange was used as a staff car park for awhile until we moved to the fishdock. This was the area of land adjacent to the Bury platforms. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just finished working through this thread from the beginning and what a great source of protoype information it is!

Most of the images are too late for the era that I model (SR '38 - '48) but seeing what survived beyond nationalisation is very helpful in determining what should be around in my era.

The profusion of SR CCT / PMV's until very late in the BR period is quite striking!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Whilst making my GW "Monster" GUV I thought I would check the locations noted when they were withdrawn as stated in the Railway Observer. If nothing else it just goes to show how far the vehicles of pre-nationalisation design strayed from their home territory:

493      15/6/78      Crewe

494      21/7/78      Eastleigh

495      15/5/78      Glasgow Works

496      29/7/78      Carlisle Currock

497      17/5/78      Willesden

498      13/7/78      Oldham

596      17/5/78      Chester

597      17/5/78      Norwich

598        7/8/78      Eastleigh

599      31/7/78      Peterborough

600      31/8/78      Peterborough

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 4

10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've died and gone to NPCCS heaven!, right in my time frame, more please Alan.

What colour do you reckon the Pasfruit Fruit D is?, I'm thinking maroon.

Mike.

The script looks as though it is the pre- Rail Alphabet type. Is the end black, or body colour, I wonder?

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've died and gone to NPCCS heaven!, right in my time frame, more please Alan.

What colour do you reckon the Pasfruit Fruit D is?, I'm thinking maroon.

Mike.

That seems very unlikely. The boxed style of writing, but more to the point the maintenance panel on the extreme right which has a year in it beginning with 7, probably readable on the original. Blue.

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2020 at 19:45, montyburns56 said:

Wow, that picture of the 31 at Bradford Interchange is all kinds of wonderful. It has snow, a rare picture of a Dutch 31 on a parcels train and the BTP Ford Orion with stickers on it! I'm guessing it's from the late 80s/early 90s? It does make me wonder if anyone knows when Parcel trains to Bradford Interchange stopped?

I think it was about 1995/96 As part of the  parcel network cutbacks, At the end I only got to shunt 1A41 Bradford to Kings cross which was 47 hauled to the end, which usually arrived in the evening peak. and departed 21:45 (or earlier if I could gee up the postal staff loading it, so I could get a flyer....)

The one in the picture was 3D30 usually scheduled to arrive about 3-4am and depart through the day, we lost our night shift when that got cancelled, 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Gloucester 1981

Gloucester Parcels

Nice Siphon G newspaper van.

As this is supposed to be a modelling thread, can anyone say if there is a source of the sliding vents on the lower body sides? I have a Lima body and  could do the plated uppers but not sure how to do the lower vents. I know Cooper Craft used to have a conversion but not touching them with the proverbial barge pole!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Nice Siphon G newspaper van.

As this is supposed to be a modelling thread, can anyone say if there is a source of the sliding vents on the lower body sides? I have a Lima body and  could do the plated uppers but not sure how to do the lower vents. I know Cooper Craft used to have a conversion but not touching them with the proverbial barge pole!

You know it amazes me that no one has commissioned a model of this type of Syphon as it was one of the last types to stay in use. If I won the lottery this is what I'd get someone to produce.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

The one marked "Somewhere on the GW" has upper-quadrant signals throughout, and the one facing the camera has a lattice post. Is that a football ground Floodlight pylon on the right? If so, I reckon it's somewhere near Burnden Junction, Bolton