Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Nice Siphon G newspaper van.

As this is supposed to be a modelling thread, can anyone say if there is a source of the sliding vents on the lower body sides? I have a Lima body and  could do the plated uppers but not sure how to do the lower vents. I know Cooper Craft used to have a conversion but not touching them with the proverbial barge pole!

Hi Rich

Plastic card for the lower vents. Build them closed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

You know it amazes me that no one has commissioned a model of this type of Syphon as it was one of the last types to stay in use. If I won the lottery this is what I'd get someone to produce.

Not quite the same but similar:

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Nice Siphon G newspaper van.

As this is supposed to be a modelling thread, can anyone say if there is a source of the sliding vents on the lower body sides? I have a Lima body and  could do the plated uppers but not sure how to do the lower vents. I know Cooper Craft used to have a conversion but not touching them with the proverbial barge pole!

When building ferry-vans, which have similar vents, I've had some success with two methods.

The first is to use very thin Plastic sheet , and 'emboss' from the rear with a biro or similar.

The second is to use slightly thicker plastic, and use round Plastruct to make the diagonal bracings.

The original etchings were by Blacksmith Models, IIRC; you could always keep an eye on E-bay.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As 26Power mentions above, I have done a kit for the Diagram O.62 Siphon G which is the van in the post above but which has had the upper louvers blanked off. Blanking them off is simple enough as long as the material used is thin, about 5 thou would be fine.  Here is a link to that thread. 

I have a couple of the detailing frets left which have the lower louvers on them but I'm out of stock of the full kit although I can still get them.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, macgeordie said:

As 26Power mentions above, I have done a kit for the Diagram O.62 Siphon G which is the van in the post above but which has had the upper louvers blanked off. Blanking them off is simple enough as long as the material used is thin, about 5 thou would be fine.

I have a couple of the detailing frets left which have the lower louvers on them but I'm out of stock of the full kit although I can still get them.

Ian

Any thoughts of selling those detailing frets alone?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I can supply the detail fret at £6 each plus £1 postage. If you want one please pm me as it's unfair to hijack somebody else's thread. This is a photo of the fret.

_MG_3130b.jpg.f9540bb01bf6e419fe8aedf3429858ea.jpg

Ian

• Like 4

8 hours ago, macgeordie said:

As 26Power mentions above, I have done a kit for the Diagram O.62 Siphon G which is the van in the post above but which has had the upper louvers blanked off. Blanking them off is simple enough as long as the material used is thin, about 5 thou would be fine.  Here is a link to that thread. 

Ian

Ah, sorry remember that one now.  I just linked to the one that is in your message “footer”.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

This one's actually a test train, but composed of LMS vans and hauled by a newly shopped 50 is worth a view?

49197914151_1fbf8af957_c.jpgTESTING TIMES by Bill Watson, on Flickr

Bensham Cutting

49199643207_04ecff8124_c.jpgPARCELS DIVERTED VIA LEAMSIDE by Bill Watson, on Flickr

49203330917_6db89d9687_c.jpgSUMMER ON THE G&SWR by Bill Watson, on Flickr

Kirkconnel

33136553751_96d4c53a2a_c.jpgNormanton by Dee Dye, on Flickr

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

This one's actually a test train, but composed of LMS vans and hauled by a newly shopped 50 is worth a view?

From the info on this thread*, it appears that 50012 is straight out of its refurbishment at Doncaster, so an interesting view even if not a parcels train.

The other pictures are a good illustration of how monotonous parcels stock had become by the 80s as pre-nationalisation types disappeared. Also Normanton before it was largely abolished.

*I'm continually amused by how frequently Google finds the answer to a railway question on RMweb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Taz said:

They are ex LMS CCT. If they are plastic then they will be Parkside kits.

That would make sense given what else was in that box of old wagons, thank you. Yes they are plastic.

Now to see if any made it into rail blue livery...

Edit: oops, think we posted at the same time, thanks for the livery info jwealleans.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

5 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

What he said.   I think both types lasted from the 1930s to BR blue and one of the windowed ones survived in York yard until within the last 2-3 years.

The type with the 'top-lights' were built pre-WW2, and seven survived into the late 1960s,  so would have finished their careers in dirty crimson livery. The more numerous non-window type were built in batches from 1938 to 1956. The last couple of Lots were built at Swindon. Most made it into Rail Blue, and examples survived in revenue service into the late 1970s.

David Larkin's first volume of the three-part 'BR Parcels and Passenger-rated Stock' has a lot of photos.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The type with the 'top-lights' were built pre-WW2, and seven survived into the late 1960s,  so would have finished their careers in dirty crimson livery. The more numerous non-window type were built in batches from 1938 to 1956. The last couple of Lots were built at Swindon. Most made it into Rail Blue, and examples survived in revenue service into the late 1970s.

David Larkin's first volume of the three-part 'BR Parcels and Passenger-rated Stock' has a lot of photos.

Funny you should mention that, just doing a quick Google image search the only picture I spotted of a 'top-light' version in blue is a model. Might be a job for rule 1.

• Like 1

The 1974 RCTS Coaching Stock book has two of the top light version still in service, 35582 and 35587.

As the blue livery was applied from 1967 then they may have received it before withdrawal but there were Southern CCTs still in green in 1976. So without a photo (only really to see if the numbers were rail alphabet style) it would be very difficult to say one way or the other.

Edit: Just found this after searching LMS CCT in Flickr

c.1969 - unknown location.

John Turner on Flickr

Edited by Flood
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 minutes ago, Flood said:

The 1974 RCTS Coaching Stock book has two of the top light version still in service, 35582 and 35587.

As the blue livery was applied from 1967 then they may have received it before withdrawal but there were Southern CCTs still in green in 1976. So without a photo (only really to see if the numbers were rail alphabet style) it would be very difficult to say one way or the other.

Edit: Just found this after searching LMS CCT in Flickr

c.1969 - unknown location.

John Turner on Flickr

That is a find. It looks as though the underframe may be painted in that purple-brown colour that was briefly used for coaching stock and locos in the late 1970s. It seems to have escaped having the panel with vehicle details on the right hand end.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think we are well catered for in 4mm scale for parcels vehicles . The 11 vehicle set I’m currently running is a fairly eclectic mix comprising of.

LMS bogie CCT - Lima, rebogied

Mk1 CCT - Bachmann/ Invicta

LNER BZ 6 w van - Marc models (I think)

Thompson matchboard full brake - Coopercraft

LMS stove 6w - Comet

Hawksworth full brake - Hornby

LMS Stanier BG - Bachmann

SR BY van - Hornby

LNER pidgeon van - Isinglass models

Mk1 GUV - Bachmann

Gresley full brake - Hornby

pics available on request!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

To follow Roger's lead my 4M05 Penzance - Crewe has the following in order:

Mk1 BG - Bachmann

Mk1 CCT - Lima

LNER CCT - Parkside

Mk1 CCT - Lima

LMS Stanier full brake - Mainline (gangways removed)

SR CCT Plywood - Parkside

GW Collett full brake - Phoenix kit (gangways removed)

SR PMV - Parkside

Mk1 GUV - Lima (new bogies)

LNER CCT - Parkside

Mk1 GUV - Lima (new bogies)

Plus there are the following awaiting rakes:

LMS CCT - Parkside

SR CCT alternating planks- Parkside

2 x SR PMV - Parkside (scribed with alternating planks)

SR PMV Plywood - Converted Parkside CCT

SR BY van - Hornby

Hawksworth full brake - Hornby (gangways removed)

SR passenger brake - Ratio

Gresley full brake - Hornby

and these need finishing/making

4 more Mk1 CCT - Lima

Another LMS Stanier full brake - Mainline (gangways removed)

LNER BZ 6 w van - Macgeordie

4 more Mk1 GUV - Lima (need new bogies)

2 x Siphon G - Lima (plus a few others if needed)

GW inside framed Monster - Ian Kirk

Numerous Bachmann Mk1 BGs

All, apart from the Mk1 BGs, in some form of overall dirty blue!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1