Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Dangerous.....

Thousands will turn up now :D

Yeah, it may not be that rare, but I've never seen it before. Actually I didn't realise that LL was applied to the 50s from 1980 onwards. I always thought that the livery first started being used a few years later than that.

5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, it may not be that rare, but I've never seen it before. Actually I didn't realise that LL was applied to the 50s from 1980 onwards. I always thought that the livery first started being used a few years later than that.

ISTR, from my OPC book on the 50s, that they were the first recipients of the Large Logo, when they were all undergoing refurbishment c1970. 

1 hour ago, PatB said:

ISTR, from my OPC book on the 50s, that they were the first recipients of the Large Logo, when they were all undergoing refurbishment c1970. 

The book is incorrect then. 56036 in 1978 was the first large logo repaint.

The first refurbished loco was in 1979, I think you meant c1980.

Sorry for the off topic folks.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Flood said:

The book is incorrect then. 56036 in 1978 was the first large logo repaint.

The first refurbished loco was in 1979, I think you meant c1980.

Sorry for the off topic folks.

Well, it might not be. I'm working from increasingly unreliable memory, as I'm currently away from said book, and haven't looked in it for a while. And, yes, fat fingers and a small phone keyboard strike again.

• Friendly/supportive 4

On 06/07/2020 at 21:44, Enterprisingwestern said:

Note the sh!t brown underframe and what seem to be foldable shelves in the end windows.

Mike.

Provided for newspaper packing IIRC.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Also for stowing items likely to be squished on the floor like cartons of day old chicks, fresh fruit, flowers, or broccili, and increasing capacity for the likes of pigeon baskets, full or empty.  These fold down wooden slat shelves were found in passenger brake vans including dmu/emu stock, GUVs, CCTs, SR PMV, BY, and gangwayed bogie GLVs, and the GW Siphons, Damos, ‘fruit’ vans, LMS BZ ‘Stove, LNER BY, and probably others as well.  They were hinged to the side of the vehicle and held by chains, which rattled when the shelves were folded up against the wall as the vehicle moved. 

Newspaper packers required gangwayed vehicles in order to access toilets. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 07/07/2020 at 09:49, Enterprisingwestern said:

Diagram CC8 Mink D?

Mike.

Agreed

Not a Fruit, no sign of ventilation between planks on the side. The Enparts has the X bracing at either end and V in the centre. The closest that comes to that is a Mink D and there were Enpart conversions of them in 1948 - although the centre V was a pair of Xs. The externally framed door also fits with diag V11 Mink D. Very nice photo of the Enparts conversion in the Tourret GWR wagon bible. Some were still in use in 1980.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/enparts/efcb46ab

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/enparts/e74929f7

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/enparts/eb571e76

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2