Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

On 24/01/2021 at 16:44, Metr0Land said:

"Afternoon Parcels" would make a great jigsaw; my first thoughts were that it was a painting. Brilliant photo!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Sorry to be a pain, but I believe that somewhere in this currently 48-page thread is a definitive list of the NPCCS codes for stock .... ie NEA etc.

If someone could point me to it, I would be very grateful. 

Or alternatively... I have a Replica Railways 57ft BG that I am converting to allover BR Blue Newspapers branding c1980 and would like to at least try to get a realistic code and number on it, even though it will be covered in grime. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Thanks.

Edited by 9C85
Corrected BG make from Mainline to Replica Railways
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

I have a Mainline 57ft BG that I am converting to allover BR Blue Newspapers branding c1980 and would like to at least try to get a realistic code and number on it, even though it will be covered in grime. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Thanks.

50ft BG. Have you tried Paul Bartlett's site?

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels. There are some on there.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

NAV: Gangwayed Brake Van 90mph, steam heat only (predominantly Mk1 BG)

NBV: Gangwayed Brake Van 90mph, steam heat only, dedicated Brute workings - code not used after about 1980. Express Parcels written on the side with yellow "Brute Circuit Only" spot. (probably all Mk1 BG but there is a photo of a Gresley BG in this condition but with no code)

NCV: Gangwayed Brake Van 90mph, steam heat only, dedicated for Newspaper traffic (Mk1 BG)

NDV: Gangwayed Brake Van 90mph, steam and electric heating (Mk1 BG)

NEV, NEA, NEX: Gangwayed Brake Van 100mph, steam and electric heating

NFV: Non-Gangwayed Brake Van 90mph, steam heat only (predominantly ex LMS BG)

NGV: 6 wheeled Brake Van (BZ or BGZ). Doubtful if the code was ever carried

NHA: Gangwayed Brake Van special maintenance for 110mph, steam and electric heating (Mk1 BG only)

NIV: General Utility Van, steam piped only (rarely used, possibly on some ex SR GUVs. Seen on ex GW Monster)

NJA, NJV, NJX: General Utility Van, electric wired and steam piped

NKV: General Utility Van, steam piped only, dedicated for Brute traffic

NLV, NLX: General Utility Van, steam and electric heating , dedicated for Newspaper traffic

NMV: GWR Siphon, gangwayed (even those with gangway removed used this code)

NNV: GWR Siphon, gangwayed, dedicated for Newspaper traffic

NOV: Covered Carriage Truck

NPV: Covered Carriage Truck, dedicated to Brute traffic

NQV: Parcels and Miscellaneous Van

NRV: Special Parcels Van (ex "Blue Spot" fish van)

NSV, NSX: Post Office Sorting Van

NTV, NTX: Post Office Stowage Van

NUV, NUX: Post Office Stowage Van with brake compartment

NVV, NVX: Two Tier Car Van

NWV, NWX: Bullion Van

NXV, NXX: General Utility Van, dedicated for Motorail

NYV: Exhibition Van

The third later is for the brakes: V = vacuum, A = air, X = dual braked

Note: there were some NEV vehicles up to about 1979 which were vacuum braked only 100mph BGs. Some were soon given air brakes, others became NDV as they had BR1 bogies. They originally had special maintenance to run at 100mph but they were derated after about 1980.

Most NCV stock had the guards equipment removed and were painted all blue, some also had doors sealed. I say most as the Southern Region allocation kept blue and grey and there may have been others as well.

The NIV code could have been given to some Mk1 GUVs (steam piped only) which did not have Brute chains but the vast majority of them (if not all) received NKV branding from the outset.

An LMS BG which still had gangways (not many after 1978) could have been coded NAV.

From the photos I've seen all the repaints from 1978 onwards carried the new codes. Codes were also added to existing stock from around 1978, possibly late 1977.

The Southern Railway Van C (BY) was allocated code NHV but I doubt any ever carried it as they were all withdrawn by August 1978.

Edited by Flood
Added Bullion Van
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

So now I am faced with a sheet of Railtec transfers for Newspapers branding, but I now realise that the numbers and codes apply to GUVs only, and I am rebranding a BG.

Do I...

a) Postpone the job and hunt for correct numbers, codes? Or...

b) Pick a number and code and stick them on. I will be the only person who sees this coach and at least it looks better than plain sides?

• Friendly/supportive 3

And the answer is....20210131_135746.jpg.8a08ba06ffd22784ec4c070546a157c6.jpg

20210131_135758.jpg.4f7e011e85d2ed165ffe353b305a41d9.jpg

I decided that I could live with the wrong number, but not the code. I have branded only one side with Newspapers, so I have a choice of how it looks on the layout. 

If I was really brave, I would scratch off the second digit (6) and try replacing it with a zero, which I believe may be more prototypical? ...but am I really that bothered? ...evidently not.

Next phase: Dulcote, then weathering - which will just about obliterate the transfers in any case :D

Thanks for all the information. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

So now I am faced with a sheet of Railtec transfers for Newspapers branding, but I now realise that the numbers and codes apply to GUVs only, and I am rebranding a BG.

Do I...

a) Postpone the job and hunt for correct numbers, codes? Or...

b) Pick a number and code and stick them on. I will be the only person who sees this coach and at least it looks better than plain sides?

The fact that you ask us suggests it matters. Keep looking for the right data. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

The fact that you ask us suggests it matters. Keep looking for the right data. 

I have just found that Railtec do the transfers I need, but they are nearly £10 per sheet and I only need enough for one coach (possibly a couple more if I am feeling confident enough to repeat this exercise).

I have put out a request in the 'Wanted' section of RMWeb. Somebody may have some unwanted transfers lying around - I have quite a few Motorail ones that came along with the Newspapers ones for my GUVs

5 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Thanks Flood, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I notice the word usually . So, in theory, could a GUV and a BR BG have ended up with the same code?

Codes NA.. to NE.. were all for gangwayed full brakes (i.e. BG) so would never appear on a GUV. Likewise codes NJ.. to NL.. were for GUVs and would not appear on BGs.

I only stated "usually" as LMS full brakes with gangways still fitted could have also been coded NA.. and possibly, but unlikely, NB..

I've changed the text now to remove the word "usually".

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, 9C85 said:

And the answer is....20210131_135746.jpg.8a08ba06ffd22784ec4c070546a157c6.jpg

20210131_135758.jpg.4f7e011e85d2ed165ffe353b305a41d9.jpg

I decided that I could live with the wrong number, but not the code. I have branded only one side with Newspapers, so I have a choice of how it looks on the layout. 

If I was really brave, I would scratch off the second digit (6) and try replacing it with a zero, which I believe may be more prototypical? ...but am I really that bothered? ...evidently not.

Next phase: Dulcote, then weathering - which will just about obliterate the transfers in any case :D

Thanks for all the information. 

Newspaper Mk1 BGs were initially in the 805xx to 81xxx number series (randomly). In 1983 the 81xxx numbered stock became 84xxx so they didn't clash with Class 81s on TOPS. From October 1986 the Newspaper BGs began to receive Commonwealth bogies and were renumbered into the  952xx number series.

So it all depends when you are modelling.

You won't be surprised to know that I have lists of all the NCVs from 1978 to the end of B.R. so if you really want to renumber your model then you can choose an actual vehicle.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Flood said:

Codes NA.. to NE.. were all for gangwayed full brakes (i.e. BG) so would never appear on a GUV. Likewise codes NJ.. to NL.. were for GUVs and would not appear on BGs.

I only stated "usually" as LMS full brakes with gangways still fitted could have also been coded NA.. and possibly, but unlikely, NB..

I've changed the text now to remove the word "usually".

To be honest, I thought that would be the case but I wondered if some 'outside' management guru had been drafted in and decreed something like "it doesn't matter what it looks like or who built it, it's a van with a gangway and it carries parcels". (If it looks like a duck and quacks....)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 31/01/2021 at 19:40, 9C85 said:

To be honest, I thought that would be the case but I wondered if some 'outside' management guru had been drafted in and decreed something like "it doesn't matter what it looks like or who built it, it's a van with a gangway and it carries parcels". (If it looks like a duck and quacks....)

"NCV: Gangwayed Brake Van 90mph, steam heat only, dedicated for Newspaper traffic"

LMS BG for Newspapers with NCV code on the side. So its doesn't matter whether it was Mk1 design or LMS, as long as it meets the criteria.

A781C-04(HR)

From Jamerail on Flickr

Earlier you did ask whether a GUV and a BR BG could have the same code, they can't because a GUV has no gangways* and no brake compartment. Therefore it can never be a BG.

*Just to cover my back - the 1978 Newspaper Van conversions meant that a batch of Mk1 GUVs were rebuilt with gangways and numbered in the 855xx series.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

2 hours ago, Flood said:

*Just to cover my back - the 1978 Newspaper Van conversions meant that a batch of Mk1 GUVs were rebuilt with gangways and numbered in the 855xx series.

That's where I was coming from - I had read that some GUVs had been fitted with gangways. 

Thanks for all the useful information. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/02/2021 at 12:07, Flood said:

"NCV: Gangwayed Brake Van 90mph, steam heat only, dedicated for Newspaper traffic"

LMS BG for Newspapers with NCV code on the side. So its doesn't matter whether it was Mk1 design or LMS, as long as it meets the criteria.

A781C-04(HR)

From Jamerail on Flickr

Earlier you did ask whether a GUV and a BR BG could have the same code, they can't because a GUV has no gangways* and no brake compartment. Therefore it can never be a BG.

Interesting that it doesn't have an 'M' suffix.

6 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Interesting that it doesn't have an 'M' suffix.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the suffix for pre-nationalisation stock was dropped from repaints in the early to mid 1970s. The earliest example I can find is 1974 as shown below, the vast majority from 1977 onwards do not have suffixes.

https://zenfolio.page.link/4oka8

https://zenfolio.page.link/wgNVi

https://zenfolio.page.link/QFQnW

https://zenfolio.page.link/o9rCR

All photos from the Transport Treasury

However the two-tier car vans kept there suffixes until withdrawal in 1988.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

It has often been comment on this thread how parcels trains can be wonderfully mixed , not only in types but over the years with liveries.

How is this for a mixed livery train?

001.jpg.84d185cdb8a1f559cd7ca9f289e6befc.jpg

A Cravens class 129 I am modelling from Tri-ang bits.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11