Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

19 hours ago, 73c said:

Interesting looking bit of stock up against buffer stop.

I agree, does anyone have any idea of what the grey coach might be? It has quite a bit of what looks like Engineer’s Department writing on the side.

Edited by Jamiel

19 hours ago, 73c said:

Interesting looking bit of stock up against buffer stop.

Indeed and it looks like a 6 wheeler.

Edit: I've found it...

6-wheel coach No. Dm395361 used as a Weighing Machine Contractors coach

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/coaching-stock/lmsr/other/hE26DCF54#he26dcf54

It's even been preserved..

395361-NV-05102013-1

By Richard M

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. There were still plenty of lined maroon passenger and NPCCS vehicles around in 1968.  The GUV next but one in rear of it is maroon as well. 

I’m enjoying the ‘interlaced’ trap points at the goods yard exit, and the reflected tint from D409’s front windows on what looks to be the sort of overcast but bright and hazy day that makes for flat and uninteresting photos, and our photographer has done well with a fast shutter speed (the train will be braking to keep down to the 90mph the stock is restricted to coming off Shap) to preserve dof and contrast; the high vantage point is well chosen and the amount of sky in the frame thus limited as far as possible while retaining the tall bracket down starter for composition. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Ham Mill Halt 1964 by David Christie

Hymek D7039 on a Parcels train, near Ham Mill Halt 1964.

That is a looonnnngggg train for a single Hymek to climb Sapperton.  Looks nice though and must have sounded it too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

That is a looonnnngggg train for a single Hymek to climb Sapperton.  Looks nice though and must have sounded it too.

Don't be fooled by the diminutive size of a Hymek; they were pocket rockets, my favourite of the hydraulics. Canton's initial allocation replaced Kings on the South Wales-Paddington expresses, which could load very heavily, and were thrashed cruelly to keep time, but coped.  The experience of lifting a 900 plus ton drag up the precipitous exit from Aberthaw Cement works sidings at Aberthaw West taught me great respect for their abilities.  They were better riding than a Western at speed as well.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1