Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

23 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Agreed, but Is it rated at 700hp?

I no longer have a ‘combined volume’ to look such things up on, and the internet told me 300hp or 460hp, depending upon where I looked.

The first batch of them were provided with 300hp engines, whilst the second batch, from the Gloucester company, each had two 230hp engines.

20 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, it’s another power car! 

I missed that - I saw it as an ordinary coach of some sort. Now I get it, yes, plenty of oomph by that standards of the day.

I can't see another power car in the Mayfield photo, and how easy was it to hook up the Paddington arrangement to work in multiple?

14 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

The first batch of them were provided with 300hp engines, whilst the second batch, from the Gloucester company, each had two 230hp engines.

I can't see another power car in the Mayfield photo, and how easy was it to hook up the Paddington arrangement to work in multiple?

The Albion engines by the time had been derated to 200hp, due several issues. All the Albion's we had at BG had the fuel pumps set so they could only produce 200HP, until we had a shortage of pumps and we had some overhauled locally, they were set to 230HP.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2021 at 16:48, Fat Controller said:

They had been called 'Perambulator Vans', but outside of high days and holidays, they would carry fish from North Shields. When both were being carried, there were instructions about mixing the two types of cargo....

Hi Brian

I was always in the belief the two perambulator cars were the two single passenger cars not the luggage vans.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

But what's that Ferry van doing in the sidings?

Probably en route to or from Crawley, we had regular (weekly)  flow of chipboard using Cargowaggons and a monthly flow of cased wine via the Trainferry both destined to Crawley.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hope that you all don't mind me mentioning this but I thought that it may be of interest to followers of this thread.

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECMODBR/Modelling British Railways

I, myself, have only just become aware of this new bookazine but have ordered it without hesitation as the other previous works by Simon have been excellent.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, 03060 said:

Hope that you all don't mind me mentioning this but I thought that it may be of interest to followers of this thread.

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECMODBR/Modelling British Railways

I, myself, have only just become aware of this new bookazine but have ordered it without hesitation as the other previous works by Simon have been excellent.

Regards,

Ian.

I stumbled on this at WH smith and it is excellent. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...