Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

D7011 is carrying an incorrect headcode; this is a class 6 train and if it is, as I am assuming, a Reading-Redhill working should be carrying 'O' as the second character for a train destined for Southern Region.  If Redhill-Reading it would be 'V' for Western Region, but the position of the sun as shown by the shadows demands that the train is heading east or southeast. so towards Redhill.

I think this train is the successor to the 06.39 Blisworth - Redhill, which I suspect started elsewhere by 1973. You are right about the orientation of the sun etc, and I suspect the pic was taken east of Betchworth towards Buckland Crossing, hence the banner repeater on the down line. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question - probably directed towards @The Johnster - in amongst the photos (now on the previous page) there is a photo of a Crewe-Radyr parcels service. Where in Radyr did the train end up and what happened to its load? A curious mind and all that ...........

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Philou said:

I have a question - probably directed towards @The Johnster - in amongst the photos (now on the previous page) there is a photo of a Crewe-Radyr parcels service. Where in Radyr did the train end up and what happened to its load? A curious mind and all that ...........

Cheers,

Philip

Sorry, Philip, which actual photo; I can't find any reference to a Crewe-Radyr. Radyr had no parcel handling facilities and the only parcels train that appeared here was the daily Cardiff-Pontypidd and return, 4 GUVs and Hymek, later 37.  This ran via Waterhall and Radyr Quarry, and did not stop at Radyr.  

There was a daily 4V20 Manchester-Cardiff parcels running via Crewe and Shrewsbury.  

@The Johnster :

On 07/10/2019 at 18:01, Metr0Land said:

This one -

47488 at Sutton Park with (3V16) 1100 Crewe - Radyr parcels  11101991

I was curious as I couldn't think of anywhere for it to off-load anything - and which way would it have come if it had gone to Radyr? I assume via the City Line?

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Philou said:

@The Johnster :

This one -

47488 at Sutton Park with (3V16) 1100 Crewe - Radyr parcels  11101991

I was curious as I couldn't think of anywhere for it to off-load anything - and which way would it have come if it had gone to Radyr? I assume via the City Line?

Cheers,

Philip

Aha!  Sutton Bridge, as I remember it, not Park, is on the southern edge of Shrewsbury.  The sidings were used in the aftermath of steam to store withdrawn locos, mostly 8Fs and Black 5s, but were derelict since then.  The up and down loops haven't been used for a while either but are still in commission AFAIK at this date.  I'm not sure what 3V16 was but it seems to be a postal, including RM sorting coaches.  The only train from this direction that came to Cardiff was the York TPO, overnight leaving Cardiff at 20.40 and the reciprocal arriving from York at 05.10.  This is definitely not the train pictured here as the formation was quite different, and while it got delayed awaiting postal connections at Crewe occasionally this looks from the position of the sun as shown by the train's shadow to be around 9am on this almost due south facing line, reinforcing my assertion that it is not the York-Cardiff TPO.  Nice variety of liveries!

Radyr makes no sense at all, and in fact I am of the view that this train is heading for Bristol, a GPO rail hub at the time.  The Waterhall Jc/Radyr Quarry line I mentioned earlier is what is now known as the City Line.

The York TPO had a cat.  It would turn up on platform 1 at about half past 8, insert itself in a sorting coach and ride up with the Cardiff postal crew, who worked double home and came back the following night.  Nobody ever knew where it went during the day in Cardiff or York, but I remember it a, a black and white thing that was quite friendly in the way that cats, who are invariably food , sometimes are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2019 at 16:56, Enterprisingwestern said:

Cor, look at the 8th van!

Mike.

14 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Certainly stands out, but what could it be? Ex-GWR?

8 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

The 8th van is hardly visible. Do you mean the 10th, at the end? An SR GUV, scenery van some of which were re-inforced for elephants (seriously!) https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srguvandb/e102f38f1

Paul

My thoughts were as it has 2 footboards and is shorter than the GUV before it, that it was a 4 wheel van',and and having one window and a high arc roof profile it might be one of the ex LMS Mogo vans or similar?

Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Another photo with an unusual vehicle in. I can't identify the 9th van, which seems to be a bogie brake in blue/grey, but with a much deeper grey band than is usual, any ideas anyone?

My money is on a blue GUV with reflection of the bug unit yellow front making it look a tad strange.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Another photo with an unusual vehicle in. I can't identify the 9th van, which seems to be a bogie brake in blue/grey, but with a much deeper grey band than is usual, any ideas anyone?

18 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

My money is on a blue GUV with reflection of the bug unit yellow front making it look a tad strange.

Mike.

Hi Chaps,

I was looking at the red painted Gresley coach, very probably from a breakdown crane.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1