Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Gold

Not very fast originally. As everyone knows, CCT stands for Covered Carriage Truck, i.e a vehicle upon which one's carriage could be transported. Carriage as in horse and carriage. 15 mph on a very good day? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Not very fast originally. As everyone knows, CCT stands for Covered Carriage Truck, i.e a vehicle upon which one's carriage could be transported. Carriage as in horse and carriage. 15 mph on a very good day? 

So a lot faster than traveling through London by road then!

• Agree 3

Somewhere on the ECML is Essendine according to the photographer.

One of the rare (only 20 built) Bulleid Scenery vans - BR GUV - behind the loco. (The earlier Maunsell type had gone by 1961)

Paul

Edit to add a PS. If the date is 25 May 1979 (and no reason I know for it not to be) if Hugh Longworth is correct this was a very very rare van by then. Only BR built ones remained - and very few as revenue stock (some were in internal and departmental use by then.

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2020 at 11:39, Metr0Land said:

81166-40077-Scremerston

Scremerston

That one of the 25 at New Mills looks like a Les Nixon shot.  Weren't the early 80s great for train watching? 

I love this shot above, with Bamburgh in the distance, particularly as it reminds me of a family holiday in the area in 1981(?).  Staying in our caravan at Berwick - backed onto the ECML - and things like this, Deltics and HSTs came past all the time.  We took a day trip to Edinburgh to see relatives, Deltic-hauled both ways, my only rides behind them before preservation.  One evening just like this we walked to the border sign North of Berwick and there's a photo somewhere of me and my sister standing on both sides of the border.  Wow, nearly 40 years ago. 

Thanks for the memories.

• Like 6

If anyone has access to the InterCity Railway Society magazines of the mid to late 1970s, myself and a friend submitted details of the parcels stock we saw at Oxford, and a fascinating collection it was too ! I have tried in vain to obtain these magazines, having foolishly not kept them.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The New Street shot, being of a parcels train, is perfectly and very subtly balanced by the intruding BRUTE on the left of the frame.  The subtext is clear; it's night, and we're handling mailbags and parcels while civilised men are a'bed, unknowing and uncaring...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, acg5324 said:

spacer.png

Coventry

Perfect - an 82 and just three (different) vans.  Remember how at that time, people didn't want to model the modern scene because it was "All long, block trains"?

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

Tebay 70011 is the first coach one of the Anglo - Scottish car carriers?

So easy in this brightly vinyled days to forget how filthy the rolling stock could be in the later days of the steam BR.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

Tebay 70011 is the first coach one of the Anglo - Scottish car carriers?

So easy in this brightly vinyled days to forget how filthy the rolling stock could be in the later days of the steam BR.

Paul

Hi Paul

It is, I went to the Flickr page magnified the photo and you can see the lettering on the side appearing through the dirt. It's rebuilt from an LNER built Illford coach, the underframe angle trussing helps identify from a rebuilt GER Illford coach, they had turnbuckles not angle trust. The two types had different bogies, the GER coaches had a GER design of bogie and the LNER coaches ex GNR Fox bogies but in this photo they are not visible.

One day I might finish this one

006a.jpg.6e9f93e91fd6719453c4f115acfbf248.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

It is, I went to the Flickr page magnified the photo and you can see the lettering on the side appearing through the dirt. It's rebuilt from an LNER built Illford coach, the underframe angle trussing helps identify from a rebuilt GER Illford coach, they had turnbuckles not angle trust. The two types had different bogies, the GER coaches had a GER design of bogie and the LNER coaches ex GNR Fox bogies but in this photo they are not visible.

One day I might finish this one

006a.jpg.6e9f93e91fd6719453c4f115acfbf248.jpg

But Clive, its only one colour !!!

• Funny 8

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Is an' all; it continues on to the roof when you blow the photo up!  Well spotted, Porcy!

The advantage of a really big Photoshop monitor.  :smile_mini2:

1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

Can someone identify the interesting bogie van behind the 25 please ?

LNER Thompson MAtchboard full brake  Longworth has them as diag 327

A poor photo.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerparcels/e264c10c5

And a couple I've mislabelled as Gresley, and in the condition they went to the USA where Longworth seems to suggest they may still exist

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerparcels/e3c03b81a

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerparcels/e2c72af94

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1